Other coaching changes in ACC coastal

Advertisement
Can't believe London outcorched Golden repeatedly. I think Mendenhall is legit - still have doubts on Fuente.

Fuente wont last he cant recruit

I think Fuente and Branko will flop at both schools. Fuente was a middle of the pack recruiter at Memphis and there is no way Mendenhall will win moma over in the tidewater. UVA current class average is terrible. He is taking anyone with a pulse.

Doesn't matter. We are going to play Hurricane defense again and now have a coach with at least a clue. Miami will take its rightful place in ACC, finally.

Dino Babers at Syracuse is going to be a big surprise. Went to Eastern Illinois U and turned that program around into years then went to bowling green and made a bowl game his second season. i'm not sure he is going to be that good at Syracuse but give him 3 or 4 years and he is going to definitely make Syracuse look good.

Advertisement
I'm not sold on Fuente. VT has been a pretty solid program for 20+ years, but I don't think it's easy to win there.

This season Bronco doesn't scare me. The only things that concern me going forward with UVA are:

>I like his O-coordinator Anae. He has shown the ability throughout his career (especially at BYU) to adapt his offense to his personnel. I believe they will be running a version of the Air Raid O this season.

>I'm worried about Bronco/Anae (Samoan)/Atuaia (Samoan from Kahuku H.S. in Hawaii. If you don't know about this football powerhouse google it) tapping in to the poly pipeline and putting together some monster lines on offense and defense in the next 2-3 seasons.

The biggest question mark for Bronco at UVA is if he will be able to handle the off the field issues of the average non-mormon college football progrum...

Cane D...

You bring up a strong point re: Bronc's background and the players he is used to recruiting. He is a Mormon, who coached at a Mormon school, who recruited and played Mormon athletes. I could.be wrong, but I do believe rhe entire BYU squad is of the Mormon faith.

Not to start the Holy Way to retake Jerusalem...but without a doubt, that environment plays out West...particularly Utah...but Im.not.certain in translates to tje Old.Dominion.

Ive been saying for years an undercultivated source for OL and DL is Polynesia. In that part of the world, the runts of the family measure out at 6-5 and 320lbs.

What I dont think he can do is replicate at UVA his built in polynesian pipeline (by far the #1 faith on those islands). For one, he's going to compete against "the Temple" in Provo where the whole structure is eat, sleep, be Mormon. Remember, everyone who attends BYU...and I mean EVERYONE...has to.do a 1 yr missionary assignment as part of their degree program. It will be difficult to pry away from.BYU, those polynesian athletes who are also (and most.are) steeped in their faith.

Even Steve Young wrestled with playing on Sundays in the NFL when he came out...

Not an anti-Mormon rant...worship whoever you want..or dont..go nuts...

But UVA fans have to.contend that their was a "different" conponent to Bronc's recruiting and success at BYU...

Time will tell....

I'm not sold on Fuente. VT has been a pretty solid program for 20+ years, but I don't think it's easy to win there.

Why? The Norfolk / Virginia Beach has a ton of D-I prospects and they tend to favor VT. Scouting and player development can have them back to being a consistent 10 win team with the occasional high-profile OOC upset. CMR will make sure they have at least one L every year though.

Advertisement

Why? The Norfolk / Virginia Beach has a ton of D-I prospects and they tend to favor VT. Scouting and player development can have them back to being a consistent 10 win team with the occasional high-profile OOC upset. CMR will make sure they have at least one L every year though.

There's some talent in that area, you're right. A large majority of those kids are committed to other schools though. It's been that way for a few years now. VT still gets some really solid kids, but they aren't bringing in the depth that they used to. Here's a list of all the VA kids and where they are currently committed: 2017 Football Recruiting Prospects

As for Fuente, I followed him pretty closely at Memphis(I live there). A buddy of mine works in the Memphis AD, and he likes Fuente a lot but also questions how successful he can be at VT. We have such a small sample size with him as an HC, and that's with an outstanding QB (yes, he did bring him in).

This season Bronco doesn't scare me. The only things that concern me going forward with UVA are:

>I like his O-coordinator Anae. He has shown the ability throughout his career (especially at BYU) to adapt his offense to his personnel. I believe they will be running a version of the Air Raid O this season.

>I'm worried about Bronco/Anae (Samoan)/Atuaia (Samoan from Kahuku H.S. in Hawaii. If you don't know about this football powerhouse google it) tapping in to the poly pipeline and putting together some monster lines on offense and defense in the next 2-3 seasons.

The biggest question mark for Bronco at UVA is if he will be able to handle the off the field issues of the average non-mormon college football progrum...

Cane D...

You bring up a strong point re: Bronc's background and the players he is used to recruiting. He is a Mormon, who coached at a Mormon school, who recruited and played Mormon athletes. I could.be wrong, but I do believe rhe entire BYU squad is of the Mormon faith.

Not to start the Holy Way to retake Jerusalem...but without a doubt, that environment plays out West...particularly Utah...but Im.not.certain in translates to tje Old.Dominion.

Ive been saying for years an undercultivated source for OL and DL is Polynesia. In that part of the world, the runts of the family measure out at 6-5 and 320lbs.

What I dont think he can do is replicate at UVA his built in polynesian pipeline (by far the #1 faith on those islands). For one, he's going to compete against "the Temple" in Provo where the whole structure is eat, sleep, be Mormon. Remember, everyone who attends BYU...and I mean EVERYONE...has to.do a 1 yr missionary assignment as part of their degree program. It will be difficult to pry away from.BYU, those polynesian athletes who are also (and most.are) steeped in their faith.

Even Steve Young wrestled with playing on Sundays in the NFL when he came out...

But UVA fans have to.contend that their was a "different" conponent to Bronc's recruiting and success at BYU...

Time will tell....

Just a couple points of clarification.

All of the BYU team isn't Mormon. You don't have to be a Mormon to attend BYU. But you'll probably hate it if you aren't Mormon.
The other point is that not all Mormons are required to attend a mission. Which is 2 years not one. However it is STRONGLY recommend and advised.

But yes you are spot on. Those poly boys a fkn HUGE. Very nimble for their size as well.

Advertisement
How do you predict Fuente will do at Va Tech and Mendenhall will do at UVA? Could they make the division better? I can't imagine that either of them can be worse than Mike London or the aging Frank Beamer. (Not the Frank Beamer of 1993-2011.)

Also I'm wondering if Ga Tech will finally fire corch Paul Johnson after this year. Everybody realizes he's a corch except people nostalgic for option football. Al Golden went 3-1 vs Paul Johnson for God's sake.

think fuentes going to get their offense in much better shape than we've been accustomed to, and if foster keeps their defense at around the same level, they're going to be a solid contender.

I like mendenhall but i think the best he's going to be able to do at UVA is the occasional 10-11 win season... and mostly be around that 8-9 win range.

CPJ has won the division as recently as 2 seasons ago, i think GT is ok with getting to the ACC champ game and losing every 2-3 years.. that said he can't have a repeat of last year. Plus that offense is abominable to watch.

Cane D...

Time will tell....

Just a couple points of clarification.

All of the BYU team isn't Mormon. You don't have to be a Mormon to attend BYU. But you'll probably hate it if you aren't Mormon.
The other point is that not all Mormons are required to attend a mission. Which is 2 years not one. However it is STRONGLY recommend and advised.

But yes you are spot on. Those poly boys a fkn HUGE. Very nimble for their size as well.

Great points of clarification...I confused the women's/married couple 18 month requirement (I was wrong at 12) with the single male requirement of 24 months.

I took a glance at BYU Cougars site...57...FIFTY SEVEN of their football players are currently on a mission. How in the world do you manage a "roster" that way? Now I get it when I would run into BYU'rs and they would tell me they have to recruit 2-3 yr cycles vs "what we need next class".

Also, all students are required to take 18 credit hours of graded religion classes. No different than Wake, Duke, Vandy, SMU, et al "liberal arts minor" requirement, but whoa...thats a big step. Dont think many D1P5 athletes are willing to buy into that.

If it werent for those polynesian warriors (just play rugby and watch or do the Haka and you will know what I mean), I don't know how BYU wouldnt be DIII.

Impressive organizational.design for sure.

Bronco M ain't in Kansas anymore at UVA. He can coach, just can he be successful outside of Provo...

Cane D bringing it strong today with facts...

Looking forward to the debates once the season starts...

Go Canes.

Advertisement
From TOS---

"BLACKSBURG, Va. - In a span of 12 days, everything has fallen apart for the Miami Hurricanes."
They have become a bad team.

They have become undisciplined enough that they commit too many back-breaking penalties that they are not good enough to overcome.

They have become inept enough on the offensive line to the point where they can't consistently run the ball anymore, leaving the offense in repeated bad situations that lead to Brad Kaaya sacks or failed third downs. Kaaya was sacked eight times by Virginia Tech. Miami was three for 15 on third down Thursday after going eight for 28 the previous two games.

The defense is beaten up from a series of physical games and a lack of depth has been badly exposed.

And Miami's pro-style offense is looking obsolete in a conference where other teams are more dynamic and scoring a lot more points without a distinct advantage in talent. It makes you wonder what that means for the future as Miami keeps repeatedly losing to ACC teams with this approach, under different coaching staffs.

There is no question that what happened here Thursday night with Virginia Tech recording a 37-16 victory seemed more pronounced than your typical loss.

One way or the other, I think it's going to be program altering.

Mark Richt is a coach who has lost three straight games just once before in his 16 years as a head coach. Thursday night he publicly took all the blame for the failure of his team. That was the right thing to do. But I feel pretty confident in predicting that should not be misconstrued for an acceptance that future seasons will be mired in this kind of failure.

Quite simply, Richt has some tough decisions to make. It's clear this is not going to be a quick fix.

offensive line is not suddenly going to get drastically better. It will probably take 2-3 recruiting classes to solve that problem. And Kaaya is not suddenly going to become more mobile. Richt called a running play for him Thursday that netted two yards to keep Virginia Tech honest. But it turned out to be a wasted down.

The problem with pro style offense in today's college football world is that you have to have far superior talent to succeed. Stanford is struggling, so is Georgia. Miami is not alone. But it's really difficult to put together that kind of team and it certainly doesn't happen overnight.

Unless he can craft a miracle in the five remaining games, Richt will have to decide if Miami should stick with this struggling pro style offense through next season to accommodate Kaaya even if it potentially means another year of struggle and bad losses.

Because of the progressively worsening failures of the offense, It's quickly becoming the elephant in the room with potential star of the future N'Kosi Perry, an athletic quarterback, committed to join the team next summer.

Alabama, the top team in the country, recruited America's top drop-back quarterback two years in a row in David Cornwell and Blake Barnett. But both pro style passers were passed up by true freshman Jalen Hurts who brings a run-pass dimension. Barnett has transferred and Cromwell could be the next quarterback to flee Tuscaloosa.

If it can happen to Cornwell and Barnett, it can happen to Kaaya. All Mark Richt has to go by in his ongoing evaluation of the team is what he is seeing and dealing with right now. Richt is not used to losing like this and I feel pretty certain he has no intention of becoming acclimated. The college game has simply changed and the ACC has had an influx the past few years of some very good coaches. Richt has some brutally tough decisions ahead.

It's all very harsh, but that is the painful truth that has been bestowed upon this team in such a rapid fire barrage of bad games.
Miami is 4-3 now after this three-game losing streak and must regroup to go to Notre Dame where the only remaining goal with five games left is simple bowl eligibility. Miami has to win two more games between Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Virginia, North Carolina State and Duke to accomplish that.

probable, but all that will secure is Christmas in Detroit or El Paso. Miami will finish this season without beating a particularly good team. It's a loud statement on the state of the program and enough spots can't be freed up for recruiting. Recruiting opportunity is Richt's chance to avoid the pattern that engulfed Al Golden and Randy Shannon before him. Miami has been running in circles for 11 years now and Thursday night it became downright dizzy.

The Hurricanes got off to another horrible start. Mark Walton was stuffed for a two-yard loss on a sweep left and then Kaaya was sacked on second down.

Tech drove 35 yards in eight plays for a field goal to take a 3-0 lead.

Miami tried to answer, but Kaaya was sacked again on third down and Miami had to punt.

One of the issues in the Carolina game was that Miami's offense fell into a pattern of being too station to station. Miami didn't challenge down the field at all and was always in third down.

Richt seemed to adjust at times, going for more on first down. Kaaya found David Njoku with a 48-yard pass on first down on Miami's third possession and Njoku would have had a touchdown if he didn't fall down.

A false start by Tyree St. Louis killed the momentum and the Hurricanes had to settle for a field goal that tied the game.

Kaaya had a really bad series as Miami got the ball at the beginning of the second quarter. He threw wild on first down and on third down was intercepted as he threw deep into double coverage down the middle of the field and missed a pair of open receivers. Now the question was whether Richt would stick with the aggressive approach despite the uneven play he was getting from his quarterback and offensive line.

The next time Miami got the ball, Nick Linder was called for holding and Walton missed another blitz pickup that resulted in another Kaaya sack. To make matters worse, Justin Vogel booted his worst punt of the season, a 33-yarder that gave Tech the ball at the Miami 45. The defense held the Hokies to a field goal, but the erratic play on offense was keeping Miami from seizing control.

The problems continued on the next possession as Miami lost eight yards on runs on first and second down and had to quickly punt again.
The pattern was very clear. When Miami was aggressive on early downs it had success. When it tried basic run plays, it left itself in third down and long situations too often and the offense was helpless.

After going 8 for 28 on third down in the FSU and Carolina games, the Hurricanes started out zero for five on Thursday night.
Perhaps concerned with the amount of time the defense was spending on the field, coaches made wholesale substitutions on defense in the middle of the second quarter.

Courtel Jenkins didn't make the most of his rep. He had a horrendous roughing the quarterback penalty on the first play. Then nobody covered Sam Rogers on 52-yard pass play that set up a seven-yard touchdown pass from Jerod Evans to Bucky Hodges that put Tech ahead 13-3 with 5:51 left in the second quarter.

The season really was at a crossroads. Miami was playing dumb and poorly. The Hurricanes were either going to get their act together quickly or further go into a tailspin.

A failed Walton run on third and two forced another punt. Tech took advantage of good field position again and kicked another field goal to go up 16-3.

Miami had 1:28 to make something happen.

Kaaya hit Richards for 39 yards up the left sideline. Then Coley made a great catch with a man on his back along the right sideline on third down for Miami's first third down conversion. Then Kaaya found Braxton Berrios open down the left sideline for 25 yards and a touchdown.

Michael Badgley badly hooked the extra point, so Miami went into halftime down by just a touchdown. But you can't understate what that score potentially meant to the overall psyche of the Hurricane team.

Last edited:
Bronco Mendenhall absolutely SMOKED manny diaz's defense so bad that Manny was fired like a dog immediately after the game and was sentenced to work in the Sun Belt for the next two years while he pieced his life and sanity back together

Old Bronco's BYU team of white, slow, and some say Mormon athletes ran for like 600 yards against Diaz's Star studded texas defense

Guess what I'm saying is beware of ole Bronco. He will eat your soul

We're already pretty much UVA's official bytch. Wouldn't be surprised if Bronco torched Manny (along with Richt) this season.

The problem is deeper than "pro-style, bro!", but we could certainly help ourselves out with a dynamic run-based spread.

Advertisement
Back