OT: The Touchback Rule

The booth should review all plays that result in a turnover. I hate when any games are decided by poor ref calls or non-calls.

Makes me cringe thinking about Saints/Rams game and that blatant pass interference non-call that cost Brees a chance for a another Super Bowl.

Advertisement
I guess I am the only one who thinks it is an okay rule.

The way I see it the offense seems to get almost every single rule in its favor. I have no qualms with defense being rewarded for causing a fumble near the goal line.
good way of looking at it.

Advertisement
Well if you change that rule, how about changing the punt rule that says " if the Defense touches a punted ball but does not secure it, the offense may chase after it and touch it without having to loose possession of said punt?"
Exactly.

The one rule that doesn’t F the d is the one we need to get rid of? I have an idea , don’t fumble going in for the td.

If mahomes doesn’t get happen we aren’t discussing this game , KC had that game in hand from the kick. It’s not some nfl conspiracy smh.

I guess I am the only one who thinks it is an okay rule.

The way I see it the offense seems to get almost every single rule in its favor. I have no qualms with defense being rewarded for causing a fumble near the goal line.

Agreed. If you're so worried about fumbling the ball into the end zone and losing a possession, don't fumble.

I don't love the rule, but a safety being 2 points, possession, and a deeper kickoff seems like dumping napalm on a grease fire.

Worst rule in sports- balking in a run.

Advertisement
If you fumble a ball forward out of bounds anywhere else on the field the ball returns to the point of the fumble. This should be no different. Moving it to the 25 is the dumbest most arbitrary thing I’ve ever heard.

Figured we could use something to talk about other than the Diaz DC stuff. What do you think of the rule that screwed the Browns? (if memory serves it also cost Oregon the NC game against Auburn). Fumble that goes out of the end zone is a touchback. Personally I think it is a terrible rule. I understand it was designed to discourage stretching the ball to the end zone (why, I have no idea) but its way too harsh. A good compromise would be for the team that fumbled to retain possession but it gets set back at the 20 (so touchback distance) That way there is some disincentive without totally ******** the team that fumbled.

Also that was clearly a helmet to helmet hit so it should have made the fumble irrelevant. WTF is wrong with the NFL- they'll call roughing the passer for breathing on a QB but no one in NY can signal to the refs that there was an illegal hit if for some reason they miss it? I thought the NFL was all about player safety. Guess not.

BTW I think the Browns looked like the better team yesterday.

The fumble-touchback rule is fine. The defense forced a fumble, I'm not sure why we should be crying over the poor, poor offense. I don't think the rule was enacted solely to "discourage stretching the ball to the end zone", and even if it was, why should we care? Everything is a risk, sometimes you take a risk and it doesn't go your way.

Now, the criticism of the helmet-to-helmet hit is completely valid. There never should have been a fumble. To make that kind of hit "non-reviewable" is a joke.

For the record, I was rooting for the Browns. Sad to see them lose that way, but the fumble-touchback rule is fine as is. In the rare cases where the rule comes into play, fans of the team that fumbled absolutely lose their minds.

Last edited:
While were on rules....

Too many players on the field.
If a team has too many players on the field during a play, throw the flag.
If a player is sprinting off the field, and has zero affect on the play, hold the flag.
When offenses do this intentionally, it's the equivalent of sending Eddie Gaedel up to the plate for a free pass (look it up).

Defensive off sides.
If a defensive player is across the LOS at the snap, throw the flag.
If he jumps, gets back prior to the snap, THEN the o-lineman stands up at points, the call should be illegal procedure on the offensive.
The rule change was designed to protect the o-lineman and allows him to react. He is not "reacting" to the d-lineman if he gets back- then he moves.

Two bull****ty penalties favoring the O that we see way to much of.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If mahomes doesn’t get happen we aren’t discussing this game , KC had that game in hand from the kick. It’s not some nfl conspiracy smh.

Only reason the game was close in the end. Even with the TD Cleveland loses by double figures if Mahomes isn't injured. Good job knocking him out of the game because they stood no shot with him healthy.

Figured we could use something to talk about other than the Diaz DC stuff. What do you think of the rule that screwed the Browns? (if memory serves it also cost Oregon the NC game against Auburn). Fumble that goes out of the end zone is a touchback. Personally I think it is a terrible rule. I understand it was designed to discourage stretching the ball to the end zone (why, I have no idea) but its way too harsh. A good compromise would be for the team that fumbled to retain possession but it gets set back at the 20 (so touchback distance) That way there is some disincentive without totally ******** the team that fumbled.

Also that was clearly a helmet to helmet hit so it should have made the fumble irrelevant. WTF is wrong with the NFL- they'll call roughing the passer for breathing on a QB but no one in NY can signal to the refs that there was an illegal hit if for some reason they miss it? I thought the NFL was all about player safety. Guess not.

BTW I think the Browns looked like the better team yesterday.
It’s easy to look like the better team when the opposing team loses the best player in the NFL.

Advertisement
Easily worst rule in sports.
Worst rule is the NBA timeout rule where they get to inbound the ball at half court after taking a timeout. Call a timeout and you magically get to move the ball up to manufacture drama. It would be like calling Timeout with under 2 mins in an NFL game and you automatically start at midfield.

Advertisement
Back