OT: Starting Young QBs

We wouldn't, the fact Rosier beat out 4 other QBs for the starting job proves it.

And what makes you think taking L's this year with a true frosh will pay off in the future? Richt banked on the future with Stafford and never won the SEC.

DJ Shockley probably cost Richt a NC appearance in 02' with a pick 6 against UF.

Taking L's now for in hopes of future success is a crap shoot.

Rosier beat 2 scrubs and Perry, don’t make it sound like he beat a stable of studs out. If you actually read what I wrote and paid any attention you would know I said “if it’s close or tie”. If the battle is as close as it is said to have been, I give the nod to the future. Nobody said we are trading multiple L’s - I even went so far as to limit it to 1 loss since I know posters here love to take every argument to an extreme end of the spectrum.

If Williams will one day be the starter, is just barely behind a 5th year senior, and that 5th year senior is not capable of making the playoffs, then you start Williams. If you can’t agree with that then we might as well not continue this discussion.

Advertisement
We wouldn't, the fact Rosier beat out 4 other QBs for the starting job proves it.

And what makes you think taking L's this year with a true frosh will pay off in the future? Richt banked on the future with Stafford and never won the SEC.

DJ Shockley probably cost Richt a NC appearance in 02' with a pick 6 against UF.

Taking L's now for in hopes of future success is a crap shoot.
Sounds like #12s brother has join CIS...you assuming no other qb is capable of winning games with our talented skill players in the huddle, i call bs. It wasn't one of the young guys taking those Ls last season(which he was directly responsible for 2). So why is taking Ls by a 5th yr guy any better for the program. And what makes anyone who follows THE U think that #12 gives us the best chance to win. What the **** is that bs all about. You hope to win with #12, it's not a given. That's crazy with our weak schedule. I get it, you're a fan of #12 but don't try to sell us on his capabilities.

We won in spite of not because of #12...but you go on thinking this team can't thrive with anyone other than #12. 8 of the 11 wins were a struggle to inferior competition. Do you actually watch the games or do you read the headlines following. There's a reason why he's battling with 3 frosh for the job. Yeah, he's the leader but it's not bc he's the best guy. Why does your fanbase talk of a leash with a 5th yr guy with frosh backups. The expectations from some CANES fans have fallen off the cliff. No wonder we can't be elite.

Here’s my thoughts.

According the Richt the battle is very close. If it’s very close or tie, I personally would prefer we go with the younger player. Unless of course you think the older player has enough juice to make the playoffs.

In our case, I think the ceiling with Rosier is a coastal title. I don’t think he has the ability to lead this team to an ACC Championship victory or the playoffs. I’m basing this on his body of work last year which left much to be desired.

If we start a freshmen, even if it means 1 less regular season win, it’s worth it for me. His experience gained for next year will outweigh that one loss in my book.

I said it last year, I wanted Perry to get the nod for these same reasons. Who knows, maybe we end the year the same record, maybe we do worse, and of course there is a possibility we would have done better. Either way this year would look so much brighter than it does now, in my opinion of course.
I think that the scenario you just painted with Perry starting last year was what Richt had himself envisioned and wanted. It is my theory however that once Fall camp started, he quickly realized that Perry was just too raw at that point. Combine that with Rosier completely committing himself and Richt really had no other choice.

I have a good friend who believes that Rosier's struggles last year are an indictment on Richt's ability to develop QB's as Rosier did not show improvement over the course of the season. I disagree with that and tend to think that Richt did a fantastic job coaching around the huge holes in Rosier's game. I also think that the shoulder injury Rosier sustained in the UNC game was much more significant than we were led to believe in terms of how it affected his already limited passing ability. Now throw in the loss of Herndon and Richards and the fact that defensive coordinators finally figured out Rosier's deficiencies and you get the last 3 games of the season.

With the above in mind, I have a hard time seeing the benefit of keeping Malik as our starter no matter how much he knows the offense. This is mainly because all of the DCs we will face this coming year will now have a whole season of film to really focus in on exposing Rosier thus making it that much more difficult to match the previous year's offensive output regardless of our skill position talent. At this point Rosier is who he is and hoping for a Brock Berlin 2003-2004 type of improvement is far fetched to say the least. For this reason I believe Richt will see the tremendous benefit in starting one of the young QB's and go that route.

Advertisement
All the more reason we should go into Dallas with a frosh as the starter. CMR needs to stop with all the coach speak, open his freaking eyes and recognize that his 5th yr guy is in a position battle with 3 frosh. That right there is telling on its own. All that loyalty to the older guy bc he has collegiate exp is bs if he can't take the program to an elite level. He needs to stop selling the opportunity to compete for the job crap to recruits if he's already determined to start the older guy. These kids, their parents and hs coaches are paying attention to how you go about your business oppose to what you're preaching. 2 frosh in the biggest game and the biggest moments and CMR keeps suggesting that #12 remains qb1 bc he knows the offense the best. But he's average, so what good does that do. ✌

Rick seems to prefer the 'play it safe' routine and go with 'experience' as his primary driving factor. And in a perfect world, that's logical.

I do understand the comfort in having a soldier - but a sniper can win battles a soldier can't. Accuracy and attitude can more than compensate for 'comfort.'

Predictability is a terrible way to approach any engagement.

Rick seems to prefer the 'play it safe' routine and go with 'experience' as his primary driving factor. And in a perfect world, that's logical.

I do understand the comfort in having a soldier - but a sniper can win battles a soldier can't. Accuracy and attitude can more than compensate for 'comfort.'

Predictability is a terrible way to approach any engagement.

Most of these idiots don't even realize that you literally wrote the book on this subject.

BTW I'm still waiting for my copy

National championship qb's sorry if I misspell any names OU 2000 Heupel Y'all remember Krenzel in 2001 OSU right? Matt Mauck and Flynn for LSU. All the Bama QB's but Malik can't win it? I'm not trying to go back and forth with anyone cause, believe me, I get what everyone is saying but if coach picks Malik to play I trust the coach and his plan and I'm cheering for whoever back there cause they can take us if the QB's I just named did it. Malik a mutha ******* CANE and if he wins da job I'm riding or die with him cause I'm a real CANE fan and believe in whoever on da field like real CANE fans suppose to do. If they don't beat him out they ain't ready and don't need to be in point blank.

Sounds like #12s brother has join CIS...you assuming no other qb is capable of winning games with our talented skill players in the huddle, i call bs. It wasn't one of the young guys taking those Ls last season(which he was directly responsible for 2). So why is taking Ls by a 5th yr guy any better for the program. And what makes anyone who follows THE U think that #12 gives us the best chance to win. What the **** is that bs all about. You hope to win with #12, it's not a given. That's crazy with our weak schedule. I get it, you're a fan of #12 but don't try to sell us on his capabilities.

Mark Richt said so. At least that's what he said last year and where he was leaning this spring.

I don't know who will start this year, and I don't care as long as they're the best we have. What I don't get is why you assume that one of the other guys will be better, or will at least grow into a better player. Isn't it possible that both young guys have the same ceiling as Rosier but less experience? Rosier isn't so bad that it's incoceivable that another player could be as bad.

The point is that because you (rightly) aren't pleased with Rosier's play (at times) there has to be a better option currently on the team. There may very well be, but we don't know that yet. If Rosier gets the start against LSU and you continue to lobby against him then you're just saying you know better than the guy who gets paid millions to make these decisions. And I think that's silly.

But you just can't believe somebody else might know better than you, can you?

Advertisement
No one is happy about how Rosier and the team finished the season, but we do have to remember that we lost our best RB, WR and TE, AND had a suspect OL to boot. Many if not most QB's would have failed in that situation.

We won in spite of not because of #12...but you go on thinking this team can't thrive with anyone other than #12. 8 of the 11 wins were a struggle to inferior competition. Do you actually watch the games or do you read the headlines following. There's a reason why he's battling with 3 frosh for the job. Yeah, he's the leader but it's not bc he's the best guy. Why does your fanbase talk of a leash with a 5th yr guy with frosh backups. The expectations from some CANES fans have fallen off the cliff. No wonder we can't be elite.
Excellent Post

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back