NFL OT -- RIP Gale Sayers

Advertisement
We lost a legend this morning. Gale Sayers dead at 77.

For the young bucks on the board, Google him. My dad still maintains he was the best back he ever saw, even though Jim Brown is his favorite player ever.

The Kansas Comet was breathtaking. NFL Hall of Famer playing just 68 career games. Pour one out tonight for a legend.
Father knows best. Brown was beast but anyone who saw Comet run knows he was best. RIP.

Advertisement
Father knows best. Brown was beast but anyone who saw Comet run knows he was best. RIP.
Everybody has their opinions about the best overall RB in modern NFL history. And my apologies to those RB from the early days of the NFL for not considering them " modern toady. ". huh?

But arguably speaking Jim Brown was the BEST overall running back in modern day NFL history! Matter of fact, Brown had three or four more seasons left in the tank, but he chose to play in Hollywood. Also, both Brown and the late Gale Sayers played in SHORTEN seasons back in the turbulent sixties ( 16 regular season games today. Versus a 12 game season back in the day. ). huh? And there was only two play-off games back then. So if either played today, they would have PAD their stats. duh. But that's all speculation and what not.

Oh. And another notion. The late Gale Sayers CHOSE ToTo Land, too, over his home state because that CornSUCKER football program DIDN'T want anything to do with a DARKIE football player ( Thankfully the late FIESTY CELT Bob Deavey CHANGED that crap of racial bigotry!! )!! Man, that cornSUCKER program DIDN'T ever recruit him. Now that's fresh. Heck, in today's HS realm Sayers would be a solid-on-down FIVE STAR running back. That's how amazing he was.

Also, the late Sayers SHOULD HAVE won the best HS player award in Herbie Cornsucker land. But the award went to a lighter shade of pale face ( LOL ) player. The kid played HS ball way out west in Cornsucker small town cattle country. Nevertheless, proper respect to him because he went on to play safety in the NFL.

Finally, I saw the game on CBS sports when Sayers had his knee blown out. The game was against the San Francisco 49'ers.

Yep. The bond they had was incredible.

And Brian Piccolo Park on Sheridan Street in Pines/Cooper City is obviously dedicated to Brian Piccolo.....born in Mass I believe but grew up in Ft Lauderdale.
I was playing small college ball with a LB from STA, we were home for Winter Break working on a winter term project. He took me for a tour of STA, showed me Piccolo's jersey and a little memorial they had set up in their trophy cases. He introduced me to his coach, who had also coached Piccolo. My buddy was an STA classmate of Chrisi Everett and had even dated her. A few days later, Roberto Clemente died in the plane that took off from Miami bringing earthquake supplies to Nicaragua when it crashed.

2020 just can't end soon enough. RIP to one of the greatest men to ever play the game.

Advertisement

For the young bucks on the board, Google him. My dad still maintains he was the best back he ever saw, even though Jim Brown is his favorite player ever.

The Kansas Comet was breathtaking. NFL Hall of Famer playing just 68 career games. Pour one out tonight for a legend.
Bears fan (obviously), never saw Sayers in person, but I know all about him. It’s been said he would’ve been an easy 12k back had he not suffered two major injuries. He was Barry Sanders before Barry Sanders. He played on some **** poor Bears teams; never had a QB. Love Sweetness, but just watching classic Bears games w/ Sayers.....it’s hard not to argue w ur pops.

One of the best open field runners to ever step on a football field. Dude was special and a class act that carried himself with grace and dignity off the field. Modern day athletes should aspire to be more like Gayle. Travel well Mr. Sayers. May he rest in peace.

Go Canes!!!!!!

I was playing small college ball with a LB from STA, we were home for Winter Break working on a winter term project. He took me for a tour of STA, showed me Piccolo's jersey and a little memorial they had set up in their trophy cases. He introduced me to his coach, who had also coached Piccolo. My buddy was an STA classmate of Chrisi Everett and had even dated her. A few days later, Roberto Clemente died in the plane that took off from Miami bringing earthquake supplies to Nicaragua when it crashed.
What an amazing week you had.

Advertisement
Everybody has their opinions about the best overall RB in modern NFL history. And my apologies to those RB from the early days of the NFL for not considering them " modern toady. ". huh?

But arguably speaking Jim Brown was the BEST overall running back in modern day NFL history! Matter of fact, Brown had three or four more seasons left in the tank, but he chose to play in Hollywood. Also, both Brown and the late Gale Sayers played in SHORTEN seasons back in the turbulent sixties ( 16 regular season games today. Versus a 12 game season back in the day. ). huh? And there was only two play-off games back then. So if either played today, they would have PAD their stats. duh. But that's all speculation and what not.

Oh. And another notion. The late Gale Sayers CHOSE ToTo Land, too, over his home state because that CornSUCKER football program DIDN'T want anything to do with a DARKIE football player ( Thankfully the late FIESTY CELT Bob Deavey CHANGED that crap of racial bigotry!! )!! Man, that cornSUCKER program DIDN'T ever recruit him. Now that's fresh. Heck, in today's HS realm Sayers would be a solid-on-down FIVE STAR running back. That's how amazing he was.

Also, the late Sayers SHOULD HAVE won the best HS player award in Herbie Cornsucker land. But the award went to a lighter shade of pale face ( LOL ) player. The kid played HS ball way out west in Cornsucker small town cattle country. Nevertheless, proper respect to him because he went on to play safety in the NFL.

Finally, I saw the game on CBS sports when Sayers had his knee blown out. The game was against the San Francisco 49'ers.
I loved Brown it is just watching Gale just an experience. He was like a fast beautiful slender racing sloop gliding pass you. Jim was more battleship running your *** over.

All he needed was 6 inches of daylight for the heavenly gates to open up and welcome him in.
I loved watching his film, he was ahead of his time. RIP

RIP to one of the All-time greats. I love watching his old highlight reel. The man could tote the rock with the best of em.

Advertisement
Still holds the record for most TD in a game 6 (tied with Ernie Nevers and Dub Jones). 4 rushing, 1 receiving, and 1 return.

Advertisement
Back