OT: Modern Era In CFB

RedPill Stepdad

graduated from hungry, and made it to greedy.
I had this debate with a Texas guy and he said UT has won 4 national championships ('63, '69, '70, and '05). I told him Texas only has 1 ring in the modern era. Then we started to debate when the modern era began.

When do u guys believe the modern era began in CFB and why do u consider that the modern era? IMO there is only one correct answer but I wanted to get your input.

Advertisement
Modern CFB era “89-2009..millennial CFB era 2010-present day
At least that’s how I see it

I had this debate with a Texas guy and he said UT has won 4 national championships ('63, '69, '70, and '05). I told him Texas only has 1 ring in the modern era. Then we started to debate when the modern era began.

When do u guys believe the modern era began in CFB and why do u consider that the modern era? IMO there is only one correct answer but I wanted to get your input.
I would say probably 1980 on, but that's probably because I was born in '79 and subconsciously don't want to admit I'm old.

I hate to say it but the modern era began when the U started curb stomping the sht of the leather helmet wishbone bull crap. Modern era began when People made fun of our light in the *** dudes that kept sacking the qb. Modern era began when they had to make rules for a specific team.

Trend setters
Icons
Legends
Hall of famers
Your favorite player’s favorite players
Media celebrities
Movie stars
And maybe even president.
The U

Advertisement
IF it happened before black folks could play, it doesn't count. But I feel like the modern era would be when the BCS came around. But that's probably my age too. (born in 91)

Agree. modern era began imo when majority of the team was black like teams are today. I'd say that's probably the early 80's give or take a couple years.

The answer should be easy on this forum: 1983.
Miami changed the way the game was played and set the standard for what followed. Our '83 team was the first national champion that dominated offensively with a modern sophisticated passing offense. Football, at the top level was different before that in both strategy and attitude.

the modern era began around 1977 when the NCAA implemented the scholarship rules that limited D-1 schools to 95 players starting with the 1978 season. That period also coincided with the restructuring of D-1 and 1-AA around scholarship limits. The last thing that was significant was the anti-trust lawsuit against the NCAA which was filed in the late 1970's that prevented the NCAA from controlling the TV broadcast rights to games, and gave the power to the individual schools and their conferences to negotiate who would be on TV and when. It opened up the TV revenue stream and made the marketing of the game much more fluid across regions, and led to the rise of sports networks like ESPN.

Advertisement
Back