OT (Jeff Stoutland)

ben

Senior
Premium
From Peter King's MMQB column:

Coach of the Week

Jeff Stoutland, offensive line coach, Philadelphia. Good job by Troy Aikman giving Stoutland props for getting a makeshift line ready to produce in a big way. With Pro Bowl guard Evan Mathis and right tackle Allen Barbre already down (and regular right tackle Lane Johnson serving a four-game suspension for a substance-abuse violation), the Eagles suffered another body blow on the line on the first series of the second half, losing Pro Bowl center Jason Kelce to an abdominal injury. But with neophytes at left guard (Dennis Kelly), right tackle (Andrew Gardner) and center (David Molk), the Eagles still churned out enough production—six scoring drives in 11 offensive possessions—and 379 total yards in the 37-34 victory over Washington. Stoutland, a coaching lifer, was Nick Saban’s line coach at Alabama until taking a job on Chip Kelly’s staff before the 2013 season. He’s known as a perfectionist who doesn’t like excuses. I love what he told the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Jeff McLane last year: “I learned from really, really good coaches when I was young. You know the one thing they all had in common—good coaches never get tired of coaching the same thing over and over and over and over and over. A lot of people are like, ‘You know what, I told you that like twice now, I’m done. I told you, now it’s your job to do whatever.’ I’m not satisfied. I’m a pig head. I’m like, ‘Until the guy gets it right and understands it, I haven’t done my job.’ ” He’ll need that approach with his line as beat-up as it is now.

Advertisement
The guy brought in good talent at the line and was a solid coach. He was just part of another ****** staff that couldn't get anything done (Shannon's staff). Once he got to Bama his lines were great.

It all starts at the top

I remember how some thought he was just another mediocre coach. Funny how cancerous this program has been to players and coaches alike.

Advertisement
I remember how some thought he was just another mediocre coach. Funny how cancerous this program has been to players and coaches alike.

Yea when he first got here, I dont think Shannon allowed him to recruit his guys (we didnt allocate him numbers even tho we had guys like Pipho on the field) but once he started getting his guys. He bought in quality and raised the bar on what a UM oline could be. We never looked like those Bama olines for wahtever reason (S&C, performance enharcers, etc) running the ball but pass pro we were always good.

Now we are going back to signing projects and praying they produce.

The guy brought in good talent at the line and was a solid coach. He was just part of another ****ty staff that couldn't get anything done (Shannon's staff). Once he got to Bama his lines were great.

It all starts at the top

Uh we ran the ball quite effectively here once he got some talent and he still did well with less than stellar talent... Our olives in 09 and 2010 ran well... Remember he was a young coach as well but improved... Damian Berry a converted safety almost had 1k in 2010 before injuries... The guy had a freshman Sentrell shutting down the best DE in college... He wasn't bad here so we shouldn't try to make it seem like he underachieved...

The guy brought in good talent at the line and was a solid coach. He was just part of another ****ty staff that couldn't get anything done (Shannon's staff). Once he got to Bama his lines were great.

It all starts at the top

Uh we ran the ball quite effectively here once he got some talent and he still did well with less than stellar talent... Our olives in 09 and 2010 ran well... Remember he was a young coach as well but improved... Damian Berry a converted safety almost had 1k in 2010 before injuries... The guy had a freshman Sentrell shutting down the best DE in college... He wasn't bad here so we shouldn't try to make it seem like he underachieved...

Agreed, Stoutland was fine.

It all starts at the top

I remember our line being average. The ******* guy is in the nfl now and was coaching one of the best if not the best olines in the country at bama. That's a far cry from what he did at Miami and what he was capable of doing had he been working under a real head coach. Just cause your unit plays average doesn't mean ****. As has been the case for ten years, the performance never reached the potential.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back