OT: ESPN cutting back on employees

The probable reason is the loss of subscribers, as shown in the WSJ article. This is hard to fathom as the country's population is not decreasing.

No it's not, but ESPN's quality certainly is

starting around 2011 that program started going down and now it's utter dog sh*t

Advertisement
ESPN = TMZ for sports. I stopped watching when Disney took over. All I want is sport highlights, standings, statistics and some trend analysis. I could care less about Tebow, Jenner or whatever hoopla they want to shove down American throats.

^

brock said:
Yall put these kids who don't come here on a pedal stool but bash the ones that do go to Miami.

:vogel:

ESPN2 "Embrace(s) Debate" because talk is, from a programming aspect, CHEAP. ESPNs looney political agenda stories (Michael Sam, "Caitlin" Jenner) and hundreds of "human interest" story are cheap to cover. Now there is some good that comes out of it (our own 'Cane, Carter Hucks comes to mind), but it saves ESPN a supertankers worth of cash as opposed to rights fees. Back in the day, ESPN would show Aussie Football, Rodeo, Pre-EPL English soccer, you name it. Now it is a pre-game ad nauseum, post game to death, fantasy football and Red Sox Vs Yankees...Along with 50 million Draft Kings commercials.

ESPN2 "Embrace(s) Debate" because talk is, from a programming aspect, CHEAP. ESPNs looney political agenda stories (Michael Sam, "Caitlin" Jenner) and hundreds of "human interest" story are cheap to cover. Now there is some good that comes out of it (our own 'Cane, Carter Hucks comes to mind), but it saves ESPN a supertankers worth of cash as opposed to rights fees. Back in the day, ESPN would show Aussie Football, Rodeo, Pre-EPL English soccer, you name it. Now it is a pre-game ad nauseum, post game to death, fantasy football and Red Sox Vs Yankees...Along with 50 million Draft Kings commercials.

I wish ESPN would drop tennis, and leave it to the Tennis Channel. In fact, they should drop all live sports and just stick to their touchie feelie features.

Advertisement
They jumped the shark with Kaitlyn Jenner

I only watch if canes are on or big game.

Never watch any highlightes or pre game shows

It has to do with the younger generation not watching tv the cable subscriber way. Netflix, Apple TV, Hulu etc along with the younger gen just not being able to afford cable is causing some blood letting in relation to people cutting cable. Cable lost 3 million subscribers this year, it will grow exponentially in future years. ESPN cost the most out of all the channels. If Christians took their faith seriously, they would never watch ESPN, but the lure of college football etc is just too much. Cable is where newsprint was 10-15 years ago, a dying industry.

If Christians took their faith seriously, they would never watch ESPN

Yep, a lot of good Christian TV out there, too bad College football wasn't on these channels:

EWTN: Yep, Mother Angelica could break down a defense while smacking around E. Gordon Gee; too bad there was pedophile priests running amok and sexually abusing young boys

TBN: Isn't Benny Hinn a great guy; he will "save" the world, but first you have to send enough money for a new Citaxion X private jet for his travels

PTL: Air Conditioned Dog houses and Jim Bakker needed a lot of money to keep Jessica Hahn quiet and Tammy in mascara

Jimmy Swaggert Ministries Show: Didn't Jimmy learn from his cousin Jerry Lee Lewis that hookers talk?

CBN: Good ole' Pat Robertson, fine man; had his Daddy the senator get him taken off his troop transport in Japan. Pat spent the Korean War there while the rest of his unit actually went to Korea

Hey look, Pope Francis is on TV...Any reporter have the balls to ask him why he didn't lift a finger to help HIS Priests Orland Yorio and Francisco Jalics, when they were taken by Argentinian Navy officers in May 1976 and held under inhumane conditions? Where was his concern then?

Advertisement
Back