OT- Dallas Baptist vs Missouri St

QuattroCane

Junior
For some reason ESPNU is showing Dallas Baptist versus Missouri State and thus far I’ve counted 5, wait no 11 people in the stands?? This is the kind of thing that is not good for college baseball.

Advertisement
Missouri state is 13-30 which certainly doesn't help. I've noticed the crowd size has been growing at our home games as this team continues to exceed expectations.

For some reason ESPNU is showing Dallas Baptist versus Missouri State and thus far I’ve counted 5, wait no 11 people in the stands?? This is the kind of thing that is not good for college baseball.

They scheduled that game because both have been baseball powers in recent years. Missouri State was on ESPN last year against Oregon State at home as well.

Friday/Sunday guys got hurt and missed year. CF tore his ACL. Juco National POY at 3B had injury as well. Playing a bunch of freshmen arms. Led to a collapse.

Also on a Thursday to accomodate television, a windy day with a wind chill in the 50’s, a stadium that seats 11,000. People move to warmer seats so while attendance of 283 for a team averaging 700 in a terrible year isn’t a great look, I can attest that my season tickets are in row 6 directly behind home plate and you can’t even see me on the broadcasts.

My point was more along the lines of I would think they would have the option to flex out of a game like that as opposed to making the sport as a whole look bad.
Instead you chose to broadcast two little known programs in a down year.
Honestly I’m surprised there showing Miami vs WF, it’s not an attractive matchup to the casual fan.

Last edited:
My point was more along the lines of I would think they would have the option to flex out of a game like that as opposed to making the sport as a whole look bad.
Instead you chose to broadcast two little known programs in a down year.
Honestly I’m surprised there showing Miami vs WF, it’s not an attractive matchup to the casual fan.

Two little known programs to whom? Both are pretty major players in the college baseball world.

Advertisement
I think "college baseball powers" and "pretty major players" is a little bit of homer hyperbole. They have combined for one CWS appearance ever (2003) and typically get a 2- or 3-seed, if they make the tournament at all. 2015 was their banner year, and neither one made it to Omaha.

Quatro is right......their own fans are the only ones interested in that game.

I've said it for years, they just completely disregard college baseball altogether. I'm sure they have their reasons, but nobody can convince me that, and I hate to use them as an example, that the SEC wouldn't have pretty good viewing numbers. 1/3 of their schools are huge baseball schools. Prime time match ups in ACC would also do very well. I was told a few years back, length of the games was their biggest issue, all the scheduling conflicts that created when games take 4.5 hours. Seems like an excuse to me. They should have dedicated college stations for all 3 major sports.

Advertisement
Back