OT: Changes to campus ongoing

rok

Great Poster
Not sure if anyone's been around there lately but UM is trying really hard to make it a 5-star boutique hotel.

The new Lakeside dorms are in use and are a thing of beauty. The towers will soon come down and that SW area of the lake will be totally re-imagined.

Those are great developments for recruiting and keeping up with the Joneses.

However, there's a new science building being built in the middle of what was one of the prettier quads.

Not sure how to feel about it yet. I'm sure it will look cool but it eliminates a lot of green space.

Advertisement
I've walked through them before it was complete the dorms look great in comparison. the fact that they're built off ground with columns is amazing

Not sure if anyone's been around there lately but UM is trying really hard to make it a 5-star boutique hotel.

The new Lakeside dorms are in use and are a thing of beauty. The towers will soon come down and that SW area of the lake will be totally re-imagined.

However, there's a new science building being built in the middle of what was one of the prettier quads.

Not sure how to feel about it yet. I'm sure it will look cool but it eliminates a lot of green space.

Science and engineering departments need love at the university. Most of my son's classes are in the McArthur building. He hates to see the green space go but the fountain and the heart of the quad area remain. He was over visiting a friend on Sunday. He said the new dorms are insane.

@TheMatador was so furious about the construction of this building on campus, he actually picketed the site in protest.
LG0017.jpg

Advertisement

Towers coming down?? Well FACK I have a few condoms, some cash, and a half drank pint of Captain still in the drop ceiling in Pentland 404, gonna need to snag that.

Advertisement

The science buildings needed to be upgraded 30 years ago, that's how bad they are. This is something that was a long time coming As a bio major, I spent a lot of time in the Cox building, that place was a pathetic dump. I remember bringing an extension cord with me to class, because the outlet situation was dicey as ****, and that was back in 2005.

Whether we want to admit it or not, the University is landlocked, and the school has to sacrifice some scenery to have functional modern learning facilities. What's the point of having beautiful scenery when your labs look like something out of the late 80s?

The science buildings needed to be upgraded 30 years ago, that's how bad they are. This is something that was a long time coming As a bio major, I spent a lot of time in the Cox building, that place was a pathetic dump. I remember bringing an extension cord with me to class, because the outlet situation was dicey as ****, and that was back in 2005.

Whether we want to admit it or not, the University is landlocked, and the school has to sacrifice some scenery to have functional modern learning facilities. What's the point of having beautiful scenery when your labs look like something out of the late 80s?
All of the buildings sucked going back to the mid-80s. Cox was depressing. Engineering build was something designed by Mike Brady (Brady Bunch). Math-Computer Science building and technology was from the 50s. I could go on, but you get the picture.

Wasn't it the Merrick building that never actually had the facade finished for decades?

Advertisement
It's great to see UM finally upgrading the facilities! Once completed it's gonna be badass!

The University of Miami's campus has been an embarrassment four decades. Glad its improving.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back