a

Advertisement
The quarter is a speed and endurance race. Doesn't help with your speed per say but mostly your endurance. I know a lot of football players and sprinters (100m, 200m guys) who use the qtr as part of their workout to help with endurance.

It's a measure of speed, endurance, and toughness. Don't know about you, but those are qualities I like in football players.

Mike Harley in his last year in track started running the 400m to build stamina and endurance as he already had HS national elite speed with an official 100m--10,.78 and 200m --21.52.......best 400m was 48.64

Nigel Bethel coming this summer also did the same after reaching national elite HS speed at 100m--10.78 and 200m--21.57....his best this year 400m so far year 49.79.

So much for this no real correlation crap!

@Drewny1 you are wrong on a few things, or should I say...misinformed.

1. This ones going to be a little embarrassing for you but why would a boy who grew up in Sherwood Content, Trelawny be eating Westmoreland Yams when 60% of yam production in Jamaica comes from...Trelawny?

2. The long sprints, specifically special endurance have a place in training, but they do not get athletes faster, per se. Most European and Asian trained sprinters don’t do it at all. Plus, go look up the 200m PB’s of sub-9.90 Jamaican-born 100m sprinters Kemar Bailey-Cole or Donovan Bailey, you’ll notice near 21s times. Your statement is false.

3. 400m tells you NOTHING about how good of a football player someone is. I would say the same for the 100 and the 200 as well. There is no track conversion for football ability.

"3. 400m tells you NOTHING about how good of a football player someone is. I would say the same for the 100 and the 200 as well. There is no track conversion for football ability. "

Same as for the 40, vertical, power ball,etc.

Advertisement
Ive mentioned this many times before but Michael Irvin ran 51s at the county meet. Now what does that tell you about his football ability as opposed to athletes who’ve run sub-50? Also, I’m fairly certain that IF HE WANTED TO Anthony Schwartz could run sub-48, probably sub-47. Why? Something called speed reserve. The time wouldn’t tell you anything about relative “toughness”. Mostly it tells you how well someone is trained FOR TRACK (not football) and how well their body processes lactic acid.

Anthony Schwartz this year in the one 400m he entered... 48.64 PR.....Feb 24.....Spartan Invitational

Ive mentioned this many times before but Michael Irvin ran 51s at the county meet. Now what does that tell you about his football ability as opposed to athletes who’ve run sub-50? Also, I’m fairly certain that IF HE WANTED TO Anthony Schwartz could run sub-48, probably sub-47. Why? Something called speed reserve. The time wouldn’t tell you anything about relative “toughness”. Mostly it tells you how well someone is trained FOR TRACK (not football) and how well their body processes lactic acid.

No one here has said running a fast qtr makes you a great football player. Lmao. I mean dam.

No track race can tell you how good a football player the runner is. Not even the 60.

But people that know track, know the 400 is a grown man’s race.

What it can tell you about an athlete is who’s willing to fight through pain and anaerobic deprivation, when every fiber in your body is telling you to quit, and find another gear. Who is competitive enough to fight through those last 50 meters.

It measures who wants it - more than any other sprint in my opinion.

And that’s definitely a quality you want in football.

And people hate the 400, because they hate the pain.

200-400m develops "anaerobic stamina" the ability to run nearly full out time after time after time with little rest without loosing too much speed wise. 4.3-40 is fine but if you are huffing and puffing after 4 or 5 of them near all out or at all out then your speed will be reduced.
Corners need this against passing offenses as the offense can alternate receivers in an attempt to tire the CB. Other skilled position players are in need of this type of conditioning.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know you’re obsessed with 47 but Horatio Blades was considerably faster than you ever were. He actually ran mid-46. I think it was at Junior Olympics in Nebraska ‘82 or ’83.

HE won the state meet with a 47.1. he may have run faster... good for him. You have a link? Polly not. I'm still waiting for you to show me all these guys who run 4.7 in the 40 max but can bust a 47 quarter. lmao

And comments like this^^^ are just wrong and muddy the conversation.

Once they ran 21.52/21.57 it was a strong possibility (some might say near certainty) that they COULD run sub-50, any REAL coach would know this - even if they never trained for it. It’s why college sprinters who NEVER train for the 400 can still split 44 and 45 on a relay. (I mentioned “speed reserve” earlier in this same thread) It’s mind-blowing that you don’t know this. It’s surreal that you would use 21.5x sprinters to try and bolster your “point”. You’d have a better argument had you said 23s but even on the high school level a 23s has a chance to go sub-50.

This rabbit hole began with your post - about a year ago - about Ivey’s speed based upon a 52s 400m time. The problem is that you’re going the wrong way - and sadly you don’t know it.

Here’s a good article for general ideas on training using energy systems. http://www.coacheseducation.com/sprints/sprints/

23's have a chance to go sub 50? Lmfao. Have you ever ran track before?

I’d say that’s a gimme, but conversing with you is easy pickens.

Jearl Miles
23.03 - 200m
49.40 - 400m

Sandie Richards
23.38 - 200m
49.79 - 400m

And those are women. LOL. Face it, you’re embarrassing yourself.

And, whether I’ve run track doesn’t lessen the fact I’ve destroyed your weak arguments for the last few months. BUT...I was better at track than you were.

Smh. Is that what you're basing that comment off of? These 2 female middle distance runners? Lmfao. Dumb as ***. If either of these women ran the 200 more of focused on just that race they could break 23. Horrible examples.

Advertisement
I’m still waiting for you to say what TIME you ran. What’s it been...6 weeks? LMAO.

I was a 47 qm and I ran at Michigan st. You already knew that since you repeated in another thread. You know what, don't even tell me. You're a simp.

Anybody that thinks a 4.7 max 40 person can run a 47 qtr is dumb as **** plain and simple.

I KNEW you couldn’t accept an “L” like a man you cowardly fool. LMAO. I knew you would be a punk about it so I PURPOSELY held the others back. LOL.

Do you realize how dumb you are? You're taking times middle distance women runners ran in races they don't even specialize in and making sweeping assumptions that anybody who can run that time can do it. In this case you're saying that since world class middle distance runner Jearl miles Clark ran a random 23 in the 200m, a race she didn't even specialize in or run that much, then anybody that can run a 23 can break 50 in the qtr?

You sir are a fool.

Simp? LOL. Stop posting while looking in mirrors. I just plunked you and your so-called knowledge proving you don’t know **** about track.

The only thing a 4.7 tells you is that someone MIGHT not know how to accelerate. Period. That’s it. But that same 4.7 can probably run 11.0-11.2, or 22.5, which would run...wait for it...47. Just like I said. Thanks for playing. You lose.

As for your 47, that conveniently has no tenths or hundredths accompanying it. LMAO. Sevatheda Fynes was probably the best recent sprinter of MSU while you weren’t even an NCAA qualifier. LOL.

Name all these people who run a 4.7 max 40 but also a 47qm or stfu.

Advertisement
LMFAO!! Those are women who won medals or ran in the finals at Olympics and Word Championships, you fool. You don’t know **** about track and field and I’m having a good ‘OL time destroying your bull****. Try again, idiot.

So stop with the middle distance runnner nonsense.

Didn't jearl miles Clark hold the u.s record for the 800m? Lmfao. That's a middle distance race dummy. She's a 400m, 800m runner *******. She even ***ed around and ran the mile a few times. What sprinter do you know runs the mile in meets? Lmao.

LMFAO... this dude is using a world class female middle distance runner as an example as to why any guy who runs a 23 200m max should be able to break 50 in the qtr. LMFAO

LMFAO!! Those are women who won medals or ran in the finals at Olympics and Word Championships, you fool. You don’t know **** about track and field and I’m having a good ‘OL time destroying your bull****. Try again, idiot.

Sandie Richards (JAM) - 400m finalist ‘96 Olympics and many 4x4’s
Mary Wineberg (USA) - 400m finalist World Athletics Final and Olympic gold medal 4x4
Denean Howard-Hill (USA) - Olympic final list and Olympic silver medalist at 4 x 4
Donna Fraser (GBR) - 4th Olympic final bronze at 4x4
Novlene Williams-Mills (JAM) -

PLACEDISCIPLINEMARKWINDPLACEDATE
2.4x400 Metres Relay3:20.34Rio de Janeiro (BRA)20 AUG 2016
2.4x400 Metres Relay3:20.95London (GBR)11 AUG 2012
2.4x400 Metres Relay3:20.40Beijing (CHN)23 AUG 2008
3.4x400 Metres Relay3:22.00Athina (GRE)28 AUG 2004
5.400 Metres50.11London (GBR)05 AUG 2012
HONOURS - WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
PLACEDISCIPLINEMARKWINDPLACEDATE
1.4x400 Metres Relay3:19.13Beijing (CHN)30 AUG 2015
2.4x400 Metres Relay3:18.71Daegu (KOR)03 SEP 2011
2.4x400 Metres Relay3:21.15Berlin (GER)23 AUG 2009
2.4x400 Metres Relay3:19.73Osaka (JPN)02 SEP 2007
2.4x400 Metres Relay3:23.29Helsinki (FIN)14 AUG 2005
3.400 Metres49.66Osaka (JPN)29 AUG 2007
4.400 Metres49.77Berlin (GER)18 AUG 2009
6.400 Metres50.47Beijing (CHN)27 AUG 2015
7.400 Metres51.49Moskva (RUS)12 AUG 2013
7.400 Metres52.89Daegu (KOR)29 AUG 2011
8.400 Metres51.48London (GBR)09 AUG 2017

So stop with the middle distance runnner nonsense. You fool. LMAO.

LMAO. Mary Weinberg? He she ever broken 50 in the open qtr? lmFAO she doesn't even fit your lame example yet you're throwing her name out there like it means something.

The Jamaican has a 2:04 800m time lmao etc etc

Keep bringing up these females like the fruit pop you are show me all these max 23 guys who can break 50? Show me all these 4.7 max 40 guys who can bust out a 47?

47.57 was my personnel best in the qtr. I'd lap your *** right now and snap ya neck. Big ten indoor champs 1996. The names I brought are people I actually ran with. Jermaine "sweaty" Stafford ran under 21 in the 2. So did brad fields. Darien dew and Cecil Flanagan from Mumford. O. long from the mich St feeder school Lansing sexton. Chad McMillan 5-9 high jumping 6-10 Real **** b not the fake **** you talkin bout

LMFAO. Says 23's can break 50 and then brings up Mary Weinberg who's personnel best in the 4 isn't under 50. LMFAO. Why did you bring her up? Just asking. lmao

Advertisement
Back