O's Eligibility Chart - 8-28-2015

Ozone

Freshman
Premium
Fellow Canes -

The Eligibility Chart has been updated. Click on the pic to expand it.

O’s Eligibility Chart 08282015.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
another detail which we seldom account for is the players who are in graduate school don't count against athletic scholarship limits.

So, if Scott, Wells, Kamalu and Crawford, who are 5th year seniors, have already graduated and are in grad school, then they don't count against our total athletic scholarship limit.

Last edited:
Thanks Big O! ... So we have only 81 scholarship guys on roster but are allowed up to 84 (1 being withheld by the NCAA sanctions). And even though we have 30 freshmen, 9 are RSFs, so we have only 21 TFs on roster, and are allowed up to 25. That means we have 4 more schollies we could have used for this class but only 3 max more schollies overall (though we could have pushed Crow out if needed).

Seeing this, I don't know why we didn't go harder after some of these transfers, and I have no idea why Crow was withheld from practice. Clearly neither was a scholarship limit issue, unless they want to save those spots for a more loaded 2016 class, which would make more sense.

another detail which we seldom account for is the players who are in graduate school don't count against athletic scholarship limits.

So, if Scott, Wells, Kamalu and Crawford, who are 5th year seniors, have already graduated and are in grad school, then they don't count against our total athletic scholarship limit.

Are you sure? I was pretty confident that they still count to the 85 max (84 with the 1-schollie NCAA penalty).

Are you sure? I was pretty confident that they still count to the 85 max (84 with the 1-schollie NCAA penalty).

Yes, I'm sure. The NCAA book is over 400 pages of crap, but one of the exceptions of counters is a student/athlete who receives aid not based on athletic ability.
Graduate students receive a completely different aid package than athletes.

You can use this exception for undergraduates as well, remember Dan Morgan?

Also, you might want to check that scholly penalty. We were docked 9. Not sure we used 8 of them yet, and I don't think the NCAA took into account that for Golden's first couple years we self imposed big scholarship reductions.

Advertisement
To be eligible for a medical redshirt, you can't play in more than 4 games (all of which must be in the 1st half of the season) and have medical documentation supporting the claim that you are unable to play in any of the rest of the games. As far as I know, K. C. played in 4 games only (games 2-5) which satisfies the criteria. The only reasons I can think of why he is not listed on the official site as a RSF is that either he is listed wrong or UM has yet to apply to the ACC for his redshirt. You do not have to wait until his eligibility is used up to apply (see Malcolm Lewis).

The guys listed above that might not count against the 85 because they are in graduate school is not the case. The rule that applies is that if you are receiving any athletic aid from football then you count or if you are receiving any athletic aid from a different sport and play in a football game, you count.

To be eligible for a medical redshirt, you can't play in more than 4 games (all of which must be in the 1st half of the season) and have medical documentation supporting the claim that you are unable to play in any of the rest of the games. As far as I know, K. C. played in 4 games only (games 2-5) which satisfies the criteria. The only reasons I can think of why he is not listed on the official site as a RSF is that either he is listed wrong or UM has yet to apply to the ACC for his redshirt. You do not have to wait until his eligibility is used up to apply (see Malcolm Lewis).

The guys listed above that might not count against the 85 because they are in graduate school is not the case. The rule that applies is that if you are receiving any athletic aid from football then you count or if you are receiving any athletic aid from a different sport and play in a football game, you count.

Correct. Athletic aid. Graduate fellowships or academic funding for grad school is not athletic aid.

Advertisement
5th year srs in graduate school absolutely count against the 85

And we signed 22 freshman this year. Plus willis the transfer & gave schollies to vogel and badgley. So we maxed out our 25 per year limit in 2015. Probably why we didnt take any of the available transfers

A widely known fact is that if you are on any scholarship and play football, it transfers to an athletic scholarship. That includes academic scholarships, and there is no exception for graduate students. Think about the loophole you are suggesting exists, and if it really existed how exploited it would be by SEC and other such lower academic institutions.

The only exception is that players that have been in the school two years before being granted (or transferred to) an athletic scholarship will not count as initial markers.

And Miami cannot carry 84 this year, only 82 to clear all but one scholarship sanction. Next year they can carry 84.

A widely known fact is that if you are on any scholarship and play football, it transfers to an athletic scholarship. That includes academic scholarships, and there is no exception for graduate students. Think about the loophole you are suggesting exists, and if it really existed how exploited it would be by SEC and other such lower academic institutions.

The only exception is that players that have been in the school two years before being granted (or transferred to) an athletic scholarship will not count as initial markers.

And Miami cannot carry 84 this year, only 82 to clear all but one scholarship sanction. Next year they can carry 84.

Not true.

Go read the 400 plus page NCAA guide.

I have, maybe you should too before making uninformed statements.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back