Orange Bowl Q

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
So, are we in the Orange Bowl as long as we beat GT regardless of what happens against UNC? I would assume that if we beat UNC, we're a lock assuming ND loses but doesn't get blown out by Clemson and makes it into the playoff.

Anyway, do I have that correctly? We play in the OB as long as we beat either UNC or GT assuming ND loses to Clemson (which they will, BTW). Thoughts?

Advertisement
Not really an expert on bowl tie ins but I would think Miami would have to win out to go to the OB if the above scenario plays out.

Advertisement
If both Ckemson and ND make the playoffs. were in the orange bowl. If Clemoson loses to ND then were out of the orange bowl

If you play out the scenarios and the teams:

1) Notre Dame and Clemson go to the playoff, Miami gets into the Orange Bowl

2) Notre Dame beats Clemson, the Orange Bowl gets the highest ranked ACC team not in the playoff. Clemson is probably still ahead of Miami, even with 2 losses, and goes to the Orange Bowl

3) Clemson beats Notre Dame and knocks them out of the playoffs

For scenario #2 and #3, I believe The Cotton Bowl, Peach Bowl, and Fiesta Bowl are all at large tie ins. The Orange is the only one that is ACC vs Big Ten/SEC. Considering Miami will likely be around #7 if they win out I really can't imagine a NY6 not taking us, considering how god awful the rest of college football has been. The worst case scenario I can think of is we end up in the Gator Bowl playing Ole Miss.

I still stand by that if we don't make a NY6 going 10-1 then something horrible should happen.

2) Notre Dame beats Clemson, the Orange Bowl gets the highest ranked ACC team not in the playoff. Clemson is probably still ahead of Miami, even with 2 losses, and goes to the Orange Bowl

For scenario #2 and #3, I believe The Cotton Bowl, Peach Bowl, and Fiesta Bowl are all at large tie ins. The Orange is the only one that is ACC vs Big Ten/SEC. Considering Miami will likely be around #7 if they win out I really can't imagine a NY6 not taking us, considering how god awful the rest of college football has been. The worst case scenario I can think of is we end up in the Gator Bowl playing Ole Miss.

I still stand by that if we don't make a NY6 going 10-1 then something horrible should happen.
Just playing eleven games should get any team a participation trophy.

Interesting....

So, if we win out and Clemson loses to ND (which they won't), they would have 2 losses and we would only have 1 that happened a couple months ago. We've clearly improved. The OB would go to the highest ranked ACC team, so I actually think we would go in above Clemson if we win out.

So, if I'm reading this right, and I may not be, but it looks like we hold our destiny in our hands to go to the OB. With the way we've improved and with a better record, I think we'd go ahead of Clemson.

To be clear, unless Sunshine isn't playing, Clemson will beat ND and probably by double digits.

Advertisement
I can't see anyone ranking Miami above Clemson, even with 2 losses.

And I don't think Miami controls it's own destiny with the Orange Bowl. I think a Clemson loss makes that impossible. In that scenario we probably get picked up by another NY6 bowl.

I don't think Notre Dame is dropping out of the top 4 no matter what. With OSU cancelling their Michigan game there's no way you could kick Notre Dame out and keep OSU in. Just have to hope Clemson beats them. And then let Bama utterly destroy Notre Dame.

I can't see anyone ranking Miami above Clemson, even with 2 losses.

And I don't think Miami controls it's own destiny with the Orange Bowl. I think a Clemson loss makes that impossible. In that scenario we probably get picked up by another NY6 bowl.

I don't think Notre Dame is dropping out of the top 4 no matter what. With OSU cancelling their Michigan game there's no way you could kick Notre Dame out and keep OSU in. Just have to hope Clemson beats them. And then let Bama utterly destroy Notre Dame.
Disagree about a 2 loss Clemson team being picked over a 1 loss Miami team who also has more games and more wins.

I do agree about ND getting in regardless. The 2 teams who are in Regardless are Bama and ND, which is precisely why we need Bama to smash the Turds in the SECCHGM. Although Bama would probably boat race ND in the playoffs, you just never know. How wild would it be, although improbable, if we had an ALL ACC NCGM. Man, would that drive the SEC and B10 conference bananas!

This is easy....#BeatUNC

Then next week #BeatGT

We're in a NY6 Bowl game whether that's OB or an at-large selection by Peach-Cotton etc

Advertisement
Back