One and done

I think this subject is important to post as a seperate thread because I need someone to tell me how in any way does this help College Basketball. I think the minimum should be two years. Personally I find it hard to want to follow a team that loses it's best players after one year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The good news for you is you won't have to worry about Miami losing any players after one year next season.

It doesn't help CBB that is why they're talking about eliminating it soon (in the next 3-5 years). The current talks are to allow kids to declare for the NBA or if they choose collegiate route they need to play for 2 years.

CBB product and the rookies that come out after a year are very boom or bust. It is better for both parties to allow kids like the Williamson breed who are NBA ready to go get paid/have more than just 1 year of film on a kid and for schools to be able to build something over the course of several years.

The possibility has been mentioned of letting highschool grad kids go to the G-league for a year (or more) instead of (possible) one-and-done. Maybe keeping the max-45-day on NBA roster limit too...

Schools/sneaker companies probably would hate it... wonder if the fans would be in favor. Might be some new G-league fans of course, but I'm thinking Carolinas and all that. Some folks Luv their one-and-dones.

Obviously the only way a team can prosper is if they are almost fully loaded and expected to compete for a championship. This only favors the elite teams which are maybe a handful. Meanwhile the 0ther 295 schools are disadvantaged. This almost reminds me of when there were no scholorships limit in College football where the same 5 teams were always dominant.

And above everything else it is just a bad rule colleges now act like a semi pro league and the educational aspects fully be damned.

Advertisement
I think this subject is important to post as a seperate thread because I need someone to tell me how in any way does this help College Basketball. I think the minimum should be two years. Personally I find it hard to want to follow a team that loses it's best players after one year.

I'm with you, but when a team loses them and reloads with a fresh batch of one and doners every year, it probably eases the pain a bit.

UM

Advertisement
Back