Old Timers at the Light

RedSquare

Freshman
Years ago, the original guys, who used to sit in the middle of the stadium and come up with cheers based on the players' names … they were the group that started the "rag arm" cheer many years ago. I think one of the guys names was Stu and the other was Stan? Does anyone remember them and what happened to them?

Advertisement
the baaaaalllll 2 chant lives on

yes, good that it does. and it's great to still hear it when you're at The Light.

just was wondering what happened to the original guys. it seemed like they were there for 15 years, and then next season, they were gone. (of course, there's the obvious explanation, but hope that's not it!)

Stu is still around or at least his wife is. I always loved the chant, “Kappa Kappa Ricky Gama!”. I guess word got out that he slayed a bunch of them. He would always blush walking into the batters box.

Semper Canes!!!

Stu is still around or at least his wife is. I always loved the chant, “Kappa Kappa Ricky Gama!”. I guess word got out that he slayed a bunch of them. He would always blush walking into the batters box.

Semper Canes!!!

That's good to hear!

Jean was his wife, if I remember correctly?

I just remembered, it was Stan and Nadine was his wife. That right?

And one of my favorites was the one they did years ago for Javi Rodriguez to the tune of Hava Nagila. Cracked me up every time!

Advertisement
I have only been back a few times over the years but had not seen them. Jean and I are FB friends. A lot of great people there. Took my kids last year for their first Mark Light Shakes.

E0B6F21C-AAB0-4189-BA8E-38D2E16DD6AC.jpeg

Semper Canes!!!

Semper Canes!!!

Stu and Jean are close family friends. Both still loyally attending games in retirement, as dedicated as ever (even though the program, I would argue, has tried to distance the real diehards that built the program).

Every time I’m in Miami we still try to go to Roasters and Toasters or Titanic (and then the ballgame) together. Won’t find a better, more generous couple on this planet.

Story time: when I was a kid, my Canes grad parents brought my brother and I up to be die hard Canes junkies... but we were living in Wisconsin, so obviously didn't get much access to watching our boys, especially in the pre-Internet days.

In 2001 we went to see the Canes play in the Hormel tournament in Minneapolis. By fate (or maybe my dad being craftier than I give him credit, not sure which) we ended up in the same hotel as the team.

My mom met Stu in the morning in the gym and they hit it off because they’re both loud New York Jews. Fast forward to the game: the team needed a bat boy and Dusty asked Stu if he knew anyone. He immediately grabbed my brother and I and pushed us down to the field. We ended up spending the entire weekend in the dugout with a national championship team, and the guys were super cool to us: autographing balls, giving us T-shirts and hats, media guides from the Diamond Canes every season, a personalized ball from Coach Morris that I still have on my dresser, etc.

(Years later when I was a student I brought it up to Coach Morris when I was interviewing him for the school paper and he remembered not only me, but my brother’s name as well, and asked how my folks were doing.)

Still get email forwards from Stu and dog pics from Jean once every couple of weeks. They took me out to eat **** near every week when I was in college, which for a scholarship kid was pretty awesome. Anytime there was an opening in the nice seats around theirs, they would tell the ushers to let my friends and I sit in them.

TL;DR: All around amazing people, the types that made these programs what they were back in the day.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Stu and Jean are close family friends. Both still loyally attending games in retirement, as dedicated as ever (even though the program, I would argue, has tried to distance the real diehards that built the program).

Every time I’m in Miami we still try to go to Roasters and Toasters or Titanic (and then the ballgame) together. Won’t find a better, more generous couple on this planet.

Story time: when I was a kid, my Canes grad parents brought my brother and I up to be die hard Canes junkies... but we were living in Wisconsin, so obviously didn't get much access to watching our boys, especially in the pre-Internet days.

In 2001 we went to see the Canes play in the Hormel tournament in Minneapolis. By fate (or maybe my dad being craftier than I give him credit, not sure which) we ended up in the same hotel as the team.

My mom met Stu in the morning in the gym and they hit it off because they’re both loud New York Jews. Fast forward to the game: the team needed a bat boy and Dusty asked Stu if he knew anyone. He immediately grabbed my brother and I and pushed us down to the field. We ended up spending the entire weekend in the dugout with a national championship team, and the guys were super cool to us: autographing balls, giving us T-shirts and hats, media guides from the Diamond Canes every season, a personalized ball from Coach Morris that I still have on my dresser, etc.

(Years later when I was a student I brought it up to Coach Morris when I was interviewing him for the school paper and he remembered not only me, but my brother’s name as well, and asked how my folks were doing.)

Still get email forwards from Stu and dog pics from Jean once every couple of weeks. They took me out to eat **** near every week when I was in college, which for a scholarship kid was pretty awesome. Anytime there was an opening in the nice seats around theirs, they would tell the ushers to let my friends and I sit in them.

TL;DR: All around amazing people, the types that made these programs what they were back in the day.

Wonderful story!

Yes, I remember them as great people.

When you next reach our to Jean/Stu, please also find out how Stan and Nadine are doing.

Not sure about those a guys but Jose the founder of the “Walk-em” club passed several years ago.
I met he and his son Javi when I was just a kid and he was like a father to me. One of the funniest, quick witted, good souls there ever was.
I can still hear his bellowing voice to this day.
May he RIP.

Not sure about those a guys but Jose the founder of the “Walk-em” club passed several years ago.
I met he and his son Javi when I was just a kid and he was like a father to me. One of the funniest, quick witted, good souls there ever was.
I can still hear his bellowing voice to this day.
May he RIP.

sorry to hear of his passing. he was a very nice man.

Advertisement
Back