OL vs RB's vs OC vs Development

bshaw28

Junior
Looking at the All- ACC team got me thinking....

Boston College had all these All-ACC players who were low recruits:

1st Team WR - #1,202 recruit. #14 in the country in receiving yds.
1st Team TE - #1,633 recruit. #2 in the country for TE receiving yds
1st Team OL - #2,326 recruit
2nd Team OL - #722 recruit
3rd Team OL - Unranked recruit
Hon Men OL - #1,386 recruit

The BC QB is a Notre Dame transfer - #83 recruit

The BC Jr & Sr RB's put up these numbers - behind what looks like a really good OL

1608689058524.png

If anyone watches BC and is in the know - would be great to hear answers - but I'm assuming 95% of this board pays very little attention to BC.

So with no knowledge of BC, I'm interested in hearing - what would be your 1st assumption on these questions:

1) Are the BC RB's just really bad?
2) Is the OC, who seems good enough in the passing game, just terrible at scheming the run?
3) Are the BC coaches, especially the OL coach, great at developing players?
4) Is the QB really good and making everyone around him look better?
5) Is BC just really good at spotting/recruiting diamonds in the rough?

Advertisement
BC offense was really strange to me. Straight up bro style under center. Their running backs are trash for sure. They couldn’t run even with that good line.

Didn’t really keep track of their offense. Zay Flowers was a terror all year though. They just looked out of funk on offense. Pro style is already tough as it is to install let alone no spring ball.

defensively they got real good young DC that’s under Hafley though

Looking at the All- ACC team got me thinking....

Boston College had all these All-ACC players who were low recruits:

1st Team WR - #1,202 recruit. #14 in the country in receiving yds.
1st Team TE - #1,633 recruit. #2 in the country for TE receiving yds
1st Team OL - #2,326 recruit
2nd Team OL - #722 recruit
3rd Team OL - Unranked recruit
Hon Men OL - #1,386 recruit

The BC QB is a Notre Dame transfer - #83 recruit

The BC Jr & Sr RB's put up these numbers - behind what looks like a really good OL

View attachment 138634

If anyone watches BC and is in the know - would be great to hear answers - but I'm assuming 95% of this board pays very little attention to BC.

So with no knowledge of BC, I'm interested in hearing - what would be your 1st assumption on these questions:

1) Are the BC RB's just really bad?
2) Is the OC, who seems good enough in the passing game, just terrible at scheming the run?
3) Are the BC coaches, especially the OL coach, great at developing players?
4) Is the QB really good and making everyone around him look better?
5) Is BC just really good at spotting/recruiting diamonds in the rough?
They are coached well don’t make mistakes aren’t weak minded and don’t have that Miami “I’m the greatest attitude” our guys are 100% better athletes but we just can’t get out of our own way a lot of the time

Very good friend of mine is one of what I would imagine very few hardcore BC fans.

He openly admits their RBs were all-time bad. Phil Jurkovec was probably the 5th best QB in the ACC after Book and made everyone around him better.

They also give a lot of props (rightfully so) to Hafley for injecting life into the team which made everyone a little better.

If they can recruit a little better (already getting solid DBs because Hafley), I could see them consistently winning 7-9 games a year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Their OC Frank Cignetti is a Pro Style guy to the fullest, before coming back to college he spent years asa QB’s coach at Green Bay, The Giants & was Jeff Fishers last OC for the Rams before they moved to LA & before that s an OC at Rutgers for Schiano the last time they won 9 games in 2011 & was Wannestache’s OC at Pitt.

He actually Cal’s OC when they beat us in the Emerald Bowl back in 08 lol.

I’d say their issue with the run game just comes from a big drop off in talent after AJ Dillon no longer being there & them evolving into a team that doesn’t rely strictly on giving one RB over 300 carries a year.

I watched BC vs UNC, Pitt, Va Tech, Clemson, Cuse & Norte Dame this year, Jurkovec is probably the best QB they’ve had since Matt Ryan, he played well this year, but in only 3 games where he threw more than 30 passes did they actually win, their bread & butter was when they had more balance & could establish the run, they’re a RPO heavy team & Jurkovec plays his best when Defenses have to respect the run, in all 5 of their losses they had less than a 100 yards rushing.

Also have to factor in this was year one for Jeff Hafley after being a DC at OH St & like most Defensive minded coaches he hired a ball control Pro style OC that would protect his offense, but because they on’t have the typical pound the rock workhorse RB they’re used to having the Offense was more centered around getting the ball to Zay Flowers & their TE Hunter Long.

Most of their OL was upperclassmen leftover from Steve Addazio era under Phil Trautwein.

Last edited:
Their OC Frank Cignetti is a Pro Style guy to the fullest, before coming back to college he spent years asa QB’s coach at Green Bay, The Giants & was Jeff Fishers last OC for the Rams before they moved to LA & before that s an OC at Rutgers for Schiano the last time they won 9 games in 2011 & was Wannestache’s OC at Pitt.

He actually Cal’s OC when they beat us in the Emerald Bowl back in 08 lol.

I’d say their issue with the run game just comes from a big drop off in talent after AJ Dillon no longer being there & them evolving into a team that doesn’t rely strictly on giving one RB over 300 carries a year.

I watched BC vs UNC, Pitt, Va Tech, Clemson, Cuse & Norte Dame this year, Jurkovec is probably the best QB they’ve had since Matt Ryan, he played well this year, but in only 3 games where he threw more than 30 passes did they actually win, their bread & butter was when they had more balance & could establish the run, they’re a RPO heavy team & Jurkovec plays his best when Defenses have to respect the run, in all 5 of their losses they had less than a 100 yards rushing.

Also have to factor in this was year one for Jeff Hafley after being a DC at OH St & like most Defensive minded coaches he hired a ball control Pro style OC that would protect his offense, but because they on’t have the typical pound the rock workhorse RB they’re used to having the Offense was more centered around getting the ball to Zay Flowers & their TE Hunter Long.

Most of their OL was upperclassmen leftover from Steve Addazio era under Phil Trautwein.
Thanks El! This sheds some light on some things, because none of it added up to me.

It still seems very weird with that OL BC finished #117 in rushing this year.

Their leading RB David Bailey had 850 yds & 5.7 ypc last year (AJ Dillon was 5.3). Bailey was on PFF & Athlons preseason All-ACC teams this year. So all that seems very strange.

I also thought if their OL coach Matt Applebaum can development players like that, then he's the type we should be looking at. Ironically, he was a grad assistant at Miami for 2 years under Golden.

It's all very confusing...ha

Had no idea Cig was at BC now. He was an absolute joke as a playcaller in the league, my gawd. You would have thought he coordinated 3 SB teams the way he acted too.

Thanks El! This sheds some light on some things, because none of it added up to me.

It still seems very weird with that OL BC finished #117 in rushing this year.

Their leading RB David Bailey had 850 yds & 5.7 ypc last year (AJ Dillon was 5.3). Bailey was on PFF & Athlons preseason All-ACC teams this year. So all that seems very strange.

I also thought if their OL coach Matt Applebaum can development players like that, then he's the type we should be looking at. Ironically, he was a grad assistant at Miami for 2 years under Golden.

It's all very confusing...ha
Quite a few of Golden’s OL spent time or are still in the NFL. For all his negatives, there were a few positives.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back