Okay now I see why we're going to play a lot of 4-2-5.

Wait, what? Either you're joking or you're confused about something. A dime defense features 6 defensive backs. It's literally impossible to have 4-3 personnel in a "dime" package.

Also, the main difference between a 4-2-5 and a traditional nickle is the player being used at the nickle (or rover, or striker or whatever) position. A traditional nickle package puts a premium on pass coverage even at the expense of stopping the run. Normally used in obvious passing situations when you prefer your extra DB be able to cover a slot receiver. (Bandy) A 4-2-5 uses an extra safety who is more suited to playing the run even if his coverage ability isn't quite as good as a true nickle corner's (Smith) Also a traditional nickle alignment usually has two safeties lined up deep with three corners lined up on or near the line of scrimmage. A 4-2-5 alignment often deploys one free safety lined up deep in the middle of the field and both the strong safety and rover lined up closer to the line on each side. Obviously, it's dependent on the offensive formation and coverage called.

With Florida athletes, I love to see us running TCU's coverage schemes out of the 4-2-5. TCU runs a lot of Cover 25, mixed with Cover 2, Cover 5 and Cover 3. They blitz a lot out of Cover 3. Also, like the fact that Quarterman and Pinckney have trimmed down allowing them to run a little quicker in space.

Advertisement
With Florida athletes, I love to see us running TCU's coverage schemes out of the 4-2-5. TCU runs a lot of Cover 25, mixed with Cover 2, Cover 5 and Cover 3. They blitz a lot out of Cover 3. Also, like the fact that Quarterman and Pinckney have trimmed down allowing them to run a little quicker in space.

They've evolved an awful lot in their coverage's since their defensive playbook was posted on the Scribd site. I assure you.

Wait, what? Either you're joking or you're confused about something. A dime defense features 6 defensive backs. It's literally impossible to have 4-3 personnel in a "dime" package.

Per Wiki..."The Miami 4-3 uses smaller, faster players than other standard defenses. Defensive ends for the Miami 4-3 are often former linebackers.Outside linebackers are often converted safeties. Players are chosen for speed and aggression more than size and power. The middle linebacker is the one true linebacker, the tackles the two true linemen in this defense."

Now it's not written in stone that the MLB is always the only true LB in the 4-3, but JJ did run the 4-3 with more dime-ish personnel than 3 true LBs.

Advertisement
Per Wiki..."The Miami 4-3 uses smaller, faster players than other standard defenses. Defensive ends for the Miami 4-3 are often former linebackers.Outside linebackers are often converted safeties. Players are chosen for speed and aggression more than size and power. The middle linebacker is the one true linebacker, the tackles the two true linemen in this defense."

Now it's not written in stone that the MLB is always the only true LB in the 4-3, but JJ did run the 4-3 with more dime-ish personnel than 3 true LBs.
I get the gist of the description but an undersized linebacker is still a linebacker and an undersized defensive end is still a defensive end. I mean, you wouldn't call Jesse Armstead a cornerback.

They've evolved an awful lot in their coverage's since their defensive playbook was posted on the Scribd site. I assure you.

Yes, what I wrote just touches a small part of what they run. My son's high school ran a modified version's of the defense. He played strong safety and thrived in it. Still the core with a lot of robber looks in the scheme. A lot of similarities to what Foster runs with his coverages. I was at a clinic where Foster was the guest speaker. Flipping amazing.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back