Observations from a fan at the Rock

kkinder94

Redshirt Freshman
Lots of excellent posts today on the issues plaguing the Canes over the past couple games. I am sure I am probably regurgitating many of the points already made, but I need to vent. It is always harder when you fly down from Maryland to watch a game, and we lose like yesterday.

1. First off, the defense is stout. If someone had told me at the tailgate that UNC would only score 20 points and get shutout in the second half, I would have taken it with a smile on my face. There were a couple missed assignments which UNC exploited, but the defense did its job. If the defense can hold our competition to 20 points a game, we should be winning, especially an offensive minded team like UNC.

2. Richt as OC...I feel as though he is trying to fit his system into the school (like Golden did with his defense) rather than use a system that enhances our talent. The RPO is not made for Kayaa. It just isn't. Richt should know that. Maybe he feels like it takes time for Kayaa to learn the system, but we would win with an offensive scheme that matches Kayaa's talents.

3. Run first, pass second. It seems Richt is using the SEC mentality of establish the run to open up the pass. Certainly, that works, but teams know he will do this. On the early downs, UNC would stack the box with 8 or 9 guys. The pass can open the run too. You have to be agnostic as a coach. If the opposing defense is trying to stop the run, you need to pass. Take what the defense gives you.

4. Audibles: As mentioned, UNC stacked the box, often late in the play, to stuff the run. Why aren't there any audibles for a slant or screen. This is either a shortcoming of the offense or Kayaa. I can't tell. When the linebackers fill the gap and a safety comes down just before the snap, you have to audible.

5. Kayaa: He is a duck out of water in this RPO. Either that or he is experiencing the sophomore slump in his junior year. I don't know. The one issue he seriously needs to improve upon is pocket presence. He certainly has regressed here. He is not fleet of foot, but he could have bought time several times yesterday and this season by shifting a bit in the pocket. If he wants to be an NFL QB, he must get better here.

6. Lack of depth: lots of folks talking lack of depth. Yeah, compared to championship caliber teams like Alabama, we lack depth, but that isn't an issue playing against ACC teams. We had several defensive players go down yesterday, yet we held the team to 20 points. I agree we need more depth (and we are playing way too many freshman) but if we had made the extra point last week and called a better game on offense, we are undefeated. I am not arguing we don't lack depth, but the team has done well to overcome that so far.

Overall, I think the play calling and offensive scheme is to blame. Richt says he is rusty, but he has a wealth of experience here. He has run RPO like offenses at FSU as well as drop back schemes. He always matched the offense with the talent while there. That is why I am surprised he is using a system built for Rosier, not Kayaa.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back