O-Line

KingB02

Sophomore
Why is everyone saying our o-line has bee playing bad? I don’t think they have played bad! As I said last week, Clemson set the blueprint on how to play Miami. Stack the line and play zero coverage and dare our WR’s to win 1v1 and if they do, see if King can handle the pressure which he has not shown he can.

His accuracy is not great even when he has a clean pocket. I’m not going to pull up stats but I know his accuracy is very very low on deep passes. He’s only hit two people in stride on deep passes. And of course most plays he is doing 5 step drops which takes longer and allows the rush to get there. And we are not moving the pocket and using King’s strengths. We aren’t doing short, quick passes to get the ball out quick. I know the WRs can’t get open but you can scheme plays to get the ball into guys hand like screens, rub, crossing routes, levels, clear outs like the ones Harley and Mallory scored on. Need to see more of things like that more often. You can definitely scheme to get wide open guys. And all those problems are just in the passing game
68AE436F-C117-4A79-A0F9-ACD864DC3CCB.jpeg

In the above picture they put 6 on the line and we are in trips. The safeties are at 7 yards because they don’t respect our passing game! The middle of the field is wide TF open!! But we are allergic to it!! The slot guy (Pope) has inside leverage by two yards to release for a smash route and the CB is watching the QB and will move backwards on snap. Easy catch and run just have to juke the weakside corner for big yards if we send the TE down the seam.
sending TE Mallory up the seam takes away both safeties who are seven yards off the line which makes it easy for Mallory to run by them for an easy completion. Completely disrespectful for them to run this VS us but we don’t exploit it!! Levels with the 3 outside WRs eats this trash defense up! Lashlee is above average.

Now let’s talk about the running game.. The running game is even worse.
when they stack the box we run right into the middle of the defense even if we don’t have the numbers advantage. Teams know exactly the play we will run on running downs because we only have one, up the gut! It’s like there’s only one gap out there!!
when we have numbers advantage we don’t change to a running play.
DF482926-BAD0-46C5-927A-66CBFCD934D8.jpeg

On this play 24 comes up to the line and really takes himself out of the play on an inside run. They show blitz but the two outside defenders are so far out you have good numbers inside since they would not get there on time. We send Cam in motion which is useless because you know that backer will is out of the running lanes anyways and is close enough to cover the flats from that wide 9. Then we do a slow developing QB delay which gives the defenders time to get into the lanes. Give it to cam right away and he just has to beat the safety because the lanes are open right away based on alignment alone. kick out the end and the center down blocks the DT and there’s an open lane and you can even pull the left guard or lead block the right guard and we running for days since the backers are at the line and cannot scrape. You run away from backers at the line and they take themselves out of the play and get caught up in the wash.. Basic football knowledge. We need more pistol formation because we can run more types of running plays out of it. The most we have done running outside is an end around lmao.
That would fix our oline play. We should also widen our splits if all we gonna do is run inside. You cannot ask your 5 linemen to block 6-7 on EVERY DOWN. The cowboys oline can’t even do that. Next time you want to take the easy route and blame the line, look at everything else as well.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back