Nucleus of Talent

unionandsixth

Freshman
Wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the nucleus of reliably consistent players we have right now. I've compiled a list below--for discussion purposes and to see what the key strengths and weaknesses are in terms of personnel. This list also may bring to mind the question of whether, in their personnel decisions, the staff is utilizing the right players in a manner that puts the team in a position to succeed.

The standard I've set for this list is: who can we count on generally to perform well in crunch time against quality opponents? (Gus's tearing up FCS competition does not get him a spot on this list, in other words.)

The list below is very light on D-line and O-line talent which I think reflects both the state of the program and my general ignorance of our personnel in the trenches (which I know is where the games are really won, e.g., Nebraska). Let me know your additions and subtractions--I am by no means an expert and have zero football background, but I do follow the team closely.

Offense
S. McDermott
Berrios (notwithstanding a key 3rd down drop)
Waters (notwithstanding stint in doghouse)
Malc
Dorsett (sometimes disappears but has taken over games in his career)
Kaaya (maybe a bit early but I'm putting him on the list--upgrade from SteMo)
Duke
Yearby (based on Duke U performance--needs more snaps)
Tucker (same as Yearby)

Defense
DP
Elder
Tracy Howard (?)
Armbrister (?)
Chick (?)

Not on the list but should be based on talent
Coley (he's disappeared)
Flowers (penalties)
Bush (up and down)
Clive (zones out at times)
Stan Dobard (not his fault--needs more snaps)

Advertisement
Id have to agree with the list outside of shane being consistent he needs to keep improving and the lack of having thurston armbrister on the list hes been one of the most consistent players on the defense.

Replace Tracy Howard please..... by far the most disappointed CB we have. ... he has to be consistent and not afraid to lay the smack down...

Add courtel Jenkins and Darrin Owens to the defensive list

Replace Tracy Howard please..... by far the most disappointed CB we have. ... he has to be consistent and not afraid to lay the smack down...

I think McDermott is our worst OL from the starters don't see how he makes this list

Advertisement

I think McDermott is our worst OL from the starters don't see how he makes this list

On McD, if you are correct, this just underscores my general ignorance on OL/DL matters.

Advertisement
POWER RANKINGS

DL:

Chick
Heurtelou
Kamalu
Pierre
Jenkins
Moten
Thomas
Wyche
Hamilton
Moore
King

LB:

Perryman
Armbrister
Kirby
McCord
Grace
Owens
Harris
Young
Jackson
McCray
Smith
AQM

DB:

Bush
Gunter
Elder
Howard
Burns
Dallas
Carter
Crawford
Fentress
Delapinga
Mayes
Gayot
Lewis
Jenkins

Last edited:
POWER RANKINGS

DL:

Chick
Heurtelou
Kamalu
Pierre
Jenkins
Moten
Thomas
Hamilton
Moore
King

LB:

Perryman
Armbrister
Kirby
McCord
Grace
Owens
Harris
Young
Jackson
McCray
Smith
AQM

DB:

Bush
Gunter
Elder
Howard
Burns
Dallas
Carter
Crawford
Fentress
Delapinga
Mayes
Gayot
Lewis
Jenkins

Nice. Although, IMHO, Elder may be the best player on D right now other than DP.

Yeah him isidora and Gadbois have been suspect but I will say they have played better together since the Nebraska game but he should be absent from the list... Dorsett Duke Kayaa yearby Berrios and Walford standout to me..... Herb would be on the list if he wasn't in the dog house but it's evident he is the best all around receiver we have and hasn't been used properly

Am I the only one who thinks Fentress has been solid? I'm not sure how he is in coverage but he seems to be around the play alot.

Advertisement
POWER RANKINGS

DL:

Chick
Heurtelou
Kamalu
Pierre
Jenkins
Moten
Thomas
Wyche
Hamilton