Not a bash on JP, but why not put Harvey at DE on 3rd and longs?

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
According to the PFF or whatever that pro eval service is, they said Harvey was our best pass rusher last game. To be clear, I like Jaelean, I think he should be the starter and he is very good in run D. But. the truth is, when we are in 3rd and longs, Harvey is just twitchier and faster. He passes the eye ball test on that score and after reading that eval, it just confirmed what I was already thinking.

If it's say 3rd and 5 or shorter, then yeah, keep Jaelean in, but if it's 3rd and 8 or longer, I think you keep Roche in and put Harvey on the other side. And, JP has a big body, so maybe you put him at DT like we used to do with Greg.

A theme we seem to keep coming back to is personnel usage across the board. Let's put the best players in the best positions to succeed for the team, regardless of seniority or possible hurt feelings. I have a feeling that if Harvey were given more chances on those 3rd and longs, he will produce more results for us. Thoughts?

Advertisement
According to the PFF or whatever that pro eval service is, they said Harvey was our best pass rusher last game. To be clear, I like Jaelean, I think he should be the starter and he is very good in run D. But. the truth is, when we are in 3rd and longs, Harvey is just twitchier and faster. He passes the eye ball test on that score and after reading that eval, it just confirmed what I was already thinking.

If it's say 3rd and 5 or shorter, then yeah, keep Jaelean in, but if it's 3rd and 8 or longer, I think you keep Roche in and put Harvey on the other side. And, JP has a big body, so maybe you put him at DT like we used to do with Greg.

A theme we seem to keep coming back to is personnel usage across the board. Let's put the best players in the best positions to succeed for the team, regardless of seniority or possible hurt feelings. I have a feeling that if Harvey were given more chances on those 3rd and longs, he will produce more results for us. Thoughts?

I've been calling for more Harvey all year. He's shown me things and Phillips/Roche need some breaks once in a while. Phillips hasn't played more than a handful of games over 3 years. Roche is a small DE, so you have to expect he'll wear down over the season, especially on run downs.

I wouldn't kick Phillips inside. No reason to beat him up. We have enough rush with JHH, Miller and Nesta inside. If anything, i wouldn't mind seeing Blissett on a few obvious passing downs to see what he has. He's lean so i wouldn't put him out there much on heavy run downs yet....but definitely sub-packages.

Agreed. Jalen and ROche both look elite against the run, but do not create the same havoc against the pass as some of our dudes in the past. I think the coaches are already doing what you're suggesting

Advertisement
Not enough snaps for everyone. The one position where our depth is sick. Entire D line is above avg to nasty except Ford. But more Miller (vs. Ford), more JHH (esp every 3rd and long), and few more snaps for Harvey & Blisset would be good (**** add in Holley for a few as well to get the young ins more seasoned)

DL is one unit where snaps are distributed pretty well imo. Harvey looks fine but this is nowhere near the problem we're having at WR and LB where the staff is hesitant to rely on freshmen.

Harvey has that intuition/quick analysis thing going - rare. Very rare.

Don't know where he should play - but somewhere he can make plays that he seems to know where they're going.

He sniffs out plays like a Blue Tick Hound can sniff out a raccoon. And is quicker than a cheetah at lunch time.

I agree with this.... and to take it a step further, you need to show local talent you will play them sometime in their early years versus just sticking more transfers from elsewhere in front of them. Otherwise stop complaining when they go to teams that play them early and often.

Advertisement
I think you can have both, move Phillips inside with JHH. In those specific pass rush situations, they could wreak havoc.

Y’all love to overreact to one game. Where was harvey the last several games?
Exactly lol. Harvey has played well the last 2 games though but before those 2 he was being outplayed by a big margin by cam Williams and was at best the 4th best de in games 1 through 3

Advertisement
How about Harvey and Williams keep excelling in the role they are in, they are valued role players that will keep getting better. Phillips and Roche should be playing most of the snaps. hopefully the offense gets clicking again and the young bucks can get more snaps but Phillips and Roche are excellent

They used Cam Williams several times on the inside during obvious passing downs. Similar to how Greg R. was used last year.

Advertisement
1603078217879.gif

Well maybe if Phillips wasn’t continuously the first guy there majority of the time causing the QB to move then maybe he would play more but as of right now Phillips is not only our best lineman but also our best pass rusher.

If you stopped listening to nerds and actually watch some football you would know that.

It’s hard to comprehend how stacked and disruptive the line would be if Rousseau hadn’t opted out. Rousseau, Phillips, Roche would be fighting for 50 snaps a game. Harvey and Williams would be fighting just to get 10 snaps each.

Advertisement
Back