No NIT this year (according to Coach L)

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
### UM basketball coach Jim Larranaga said because the Hurricanes’ RPI is not good enough, UM definitely will not be going to the NIT Tournament. So UM’s season will be over after next weekend unless it shockingly wins next weekend's ACC Tournament, which carries an automatic NCAA Tournament berth. UM (15-15, 6-11 in conference) closes its regular season at home Saturday against Wake Forest.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
Advertisement
He's not necessarily wrong, but I think it takes more than two games.

The worst RPI team to receive an NIT bid last year was St. John's at 94. We're currently at 112 and a home game against Wake Forest won't help much. If we win, we play Virginia Tech, which won't help much, nor would losing and playing Boston College. Depending on which seed we are, we would see either the 6 or 7 seed - which could be any one of five different teams, none of which are top 50 wins (the best potential RPIs in those scenarios would be Pitt and then Florida State). The short version is we probably need to win three in the tournament and make the semifinals, which would involve us beating either Duke, Syracuse or North Carolina. That scenario would probably help our RPI jump the 15-20 spots necessary to be considered.

Regarding the CBI (CIT doesn't take major conference teams), he indicated in the press conference that it's for younger teams, where we have only four eligible players returning next year. I don't necessarily agree with this - I think if we entered the CBI, we could start the to-be returners and continue to practice, etc., but I understand the reasons against it - playing in front of minimal crowds, slumming after last year's season, the fact that it is pay for play, so I wouldn't be mad, but I do think another couple of weeks and games with this team couldn't hurt.

Gotta be honest, the team lost some games they shoulda' won IMO, but the overall result was much better than I anticipated.
Looking forward to next season.

Advertisement
Gotta be honest, the team lost some games they shoulda' won IMO, but the overall result was much better than I anticipated.
Looking forward to next season.

some absurd number like we lost 7 games by a combined 18 points

If we beat wake and make it to the semis we might make it in. That would have to include a win against one of the big 4 in the acc, which would be by far our best win this year.

At this point, I'll be happy if the team can finish at or above .500. Glad this season is almost over, and looking forward to the next.

Advertisement
How the team plays in the tournament will decide their fate. Lose the first one and season's over. Win 2 and I think they get a bid. Jmo

Advertisement
Back