Nick Linder

Advertisement
I watched the tape last night. Linder was better than at Georgia Tech, where he made several mistakes including knocked into the backfield more than once and allowing the pass rusher to beat him inside several times. He knows his responsibilities on the second level. No question about it. That's his strength at this point. Very sure at the pop and slide. But he's not as quick as Gall. Not even close. I noticed when #67 entered the game. There was one play in which Gall flashed to the linebacker and dove at his feet, maybe 7 yards downfield. No chance Linder covers that much ground that quickly.

Cincinnati didn't trouble Linder's current weakness, his lack of strength. That's an issue at Virginia Tech and against Florida State. We need to make sure we don't run critical short yardage plays to his area. Linder was knocked backward on that 4th and 1 play at Georgia Tech but Duke was clever enough to adjust his feet and find the small opening.

It's difficult to go through this thread and not think of Denver Kirkland. He should have been the "next guy" to have that All-Conference or even All-American potential after Flowers (likely) and Feliciano leave this year.

Gadbois/Mcdermott
Kirkland
Linder
Isidora
Mcdermott/Gadbois

That'd be very nice. Because we don't have a legitimate mainstay star coming back next year, I suspect it'll be shuffle time. Who are the names who have to compete for the remaining spot(s)?

Gall
Darling
Wells
Knighton
Odogwu

Every time we talk about the o-line, somebody gotta snatch Denver Kirkland out they ***! He gone!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back