New NCAA Rule and Dewan hypocrisy

Wonder what the odds of Dewan doing that are? Also, how many games would he suspended for if he did come back? I've forgotten. And this assumes he's still in good academic standing to be able to resume studies, and that there's a scholly available for him.

If I am correct, his suspension was all of last season and 40% of the 2019-20 season. That would 12 of the 30 games not including the post season tournaments. If he goes this route, Miami could always appeal to reduce the 40% since the NCAA changed the rule to allow the players to have contact with agents.

As far as the academic part, worse case scenario. If he did withdraw from school and drop all of his classes then he should be able to take them in the Summer school sessions to regain his academic standing. I don't know for sure if he did or did not withdraw but there is a way to make this happen if this is the path he wants to take.

I would advise him to return to school and put up some solid numbers to make himself a first round pick in the 2020 draft. JMO.

Advertisement

No disrespect. I didn't think kid turned pro to go to the G League. That should be the first sign that you need to go back to school. I might be somewhat old school in my philosophy but I have no problem with a kid turning pro to be a first round pick. Especially a top 15 pick.

Turning pro to go to the G League makes no sense to me. JMO.

Dewan is #82 on the top 100 players in the NBA Draft. There are 2 rounds and 60 picks. Another sign that he should come back to school. It is almost a guarantee that he would improve his stock if he come back to school and plays at the level we all feel he will reach.

Sometimes it is not just about your skillset but timing and marketing can factor into your draft position.

No disrespect. I didn't think kid turned pro to go to the G League. That should be the first sign that you need to go back to school. I might be somewhat old school in my philosophy but I have no problem with a kid turning pro to be a first round pick. Especially a top 15 pick.

Turning pro to go to the G League makes no sense to me. JMO.

Ordinarily, I'd agree. This isn't an ordinary circumstance though; he probably wants nothing to do with the college basketball anymore. I certainly can't blame him for that.

Advertisement
Think I read he got an invite now to the "regular" NBA Combine.

Plus, despite all the Zion excitement, this is a pretty shallow draft. Good year to be in the NBA Draft for anyone.

If Dewan gets a first round grade or guarantee then he should stay in the draft. If he gets a 2nd round or undrafted rating then he should go back to school.

With an invite to the NBA combine, it looks like he is playing himself into a draft pick. The kid always had talent, he just did not show it last season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back