New commitment

No it’s not Harvard, my point was that if he has the opportunity to attend Marist for free versus paying his way through Miami than that is the better option especially if he wants to attend medical school which will have an even greater cost than his Bachelor’s.

As someone who hires doctors of all specialties for hospitals and private practices I can tell you that it is rare for a doctor to attend med-school at the same school they received their Bachelor’s degree. What is not rare is for them to graduate with major student loan debt, which brings me back to if he has the opportunity to limit the cost of his bachelors he should.

While I agree that MOST doctors do not go to the same undergrad/med schools, it's not "rare" either. I had many friends who went to UM undergrad/med, as well as UF undergrad/med. Now, this may have been due to the small number of med schools back in the day, but I would also add that UM has a number of "honors" programs that allow people to go to UM undergrad/med for a reduced number of years. Also, athletes often have different opportunities, due to scholarship money. For instance, Myron Rolle went to F$U undergrad and started out at F$U Med School when it was first getting off the ground.

Also...take a look at the thread. First, while the kid MIGHT have to go without an athletic scholarship for Year 1, now UM can meet all of his financial need WITHOUT it counting as "extra benefits" for an athlete. In other words, he could (likely) go to UM for free. Second, UM could put him on athletic scholarship after 1 year. The bottom line, this gives academically-competent athletes a chance to go to UM without having to pay $74K per year.

UM has given plenty of walk-ons scholarships, and I'd imagine that a PWO would be at the top of the priority list. I could definitely see this kid getting an athletic scholarship for all subsequent years, assuming he sticks with football for all of that time.

Advertisement
While I agree that MOST doctors do not go to the same undergrad/med schools, it's not "rare" either. I had many friends who went to UM undergrad/med, as well as UF undergrad/med. Now, this may have been due to the small number of med schools back in the day, but I would also add that UM has a number of "honors" programs that allow people to go to UM undergrad/med for a reduced number of years. Also, athletes often have different opportunities, due to scholarship money. For instance, Myron Rolle went to F$U undergrad and started out at F$U Med School when it was first getting off the ground.

Also...take a look at the thread. First, while the kid MIGHT have to go without an athletic scholarship for Year 1, now UM can meet all of his financial need WITHOUT it counting as "extra benefits" for an athlete. In other words, he could (likely) go to UM for free. Second, UM could put him on athletic scholarship after 1 year. The bottom line, this gives academically-competent athletes a chance to go to UM without having to pay $74K per year.

UM has given plenty of walk-ons scholarships, and I'd imagine that a PWO would be at the top of the priority list. I could definitely see this kid getting an athletic scholarship for all subsequent years, assuming he sticks with football for all of that time.
I’m not necessarily trying to argue any of what you’re saying, and as a life long Canes fan who wants to see our OL grow in depth, athleticism, and intelligence I welcome him to the family and wish him absolutely nothing but success. I was just saying (admittedly more combatively than necessary) that if he has a scholarship to another school is nothing to scoff at especially if he wants to go pro in something other than football.

You're a good dude, Ash. I appreciate your posts, particularly the ones on the law.

Glad to see UM finally taking this step, I guess the Endowment Fund has grown enough to be able to do this. I'd love to see it applied to the Law School and the Med School someday, but this is a great start.
Thank you brother and I feel the same.

And let’s applaud UM. I sincerely believe this crisis will shine a light on which business (which includes schools) are able to adjust. The reality is that enrollment numbers are likely to drop at all schools, and certainly private colleges for the next few years. If for no other reason than the expected drop in foreign students. So for a private college to quickly recognize that we can’t sit on our hands and attract the same quality of students is impressive.
The flip side of a crisis is that poorly run schools which don’t adjust are more likely to fail. Everyone makes money in good times, but bad times separate the wheat from the chaff.
Its time to watch the feee market at work.

I’m not necessarily trying to argue any of what you’re saying, and as a life long Canes fan who wants to see our OL grow in depth, athleticism, and intelligence I welcome him to the family and wish him absolutely nothing but success. I was just saying (admittedly more combatively than necessary) that if he has a scholarship to another school is nothing to scoff at especially if he wants to go pro in something other than football.

It's all good. I'm not professing to be an expert on Marist, I just happen to know a fair amount about the UM Med School. I also have several friends from UM undergrad who went to med school (all over the place, including UM).

And the overall point of the thread is that if Miami can now provide full academic need to incoming freshmen, this can remove the "full-ride-at-Marist-vs-partial-pay-at-Miami" choice.

That is all.

Advertisement
The kid is from my neck of the woods in Connecticut. Played tackle at a pretty good prep school up here before heading to IMG. Played tackle. Tough kid. 6-2 is legit. Looks for contact. Feet aren’t quick but aren’t bad. Plays high. Clearly needs work. But, this is a kid who can contribute if coached up. Saw him twice couple of years back. Thought he played hard.

You're a good dude, Ash. I appreciate your posts, particularly the ones on the law.

Glad to see UM finally taking this step, I guess the Endowment Fund has grown enough to be able to do this. I'd love to see it applied to the Law School and the Med School someday, but this is a great start.
Had not heard about this. Lack of walk ons has always hurt us with depth and practice needs. Other schools have triple digits squads because of walk ons. Most will never play but they take snaps with scout teams and practice squads that cuts down wear and tear on scholarship players. Sometimes you get good player from them. Wasn't Edge or Bentley a walk on. I think is was Albert. This is excellent news.

The kid is from my neck of the woods in Connecticut. Played tackle at a pretty good prep school up here before heading to IMG. Played tackle. Tough kid. 6-2 is legit. Looks for contact. Feet aren’t quick but aren’t bad. Plays high. Clearly needs work. But, this is a kid who can contribute if coached up. Saw him twice couple of years back. Thought he played hard.
Is he straight or can he play DT? I am always looking for the next great Cane DT -- Sapp was TE.

Had not heard about this. Lack of walk ons has always hurt us with depth and practice needs. Other schools have triple digits squads because of walk ons. Most will never play but they take snaps with scout teams and practice squads that cuts down wear and tear on scholarship players. Sometimes you get good player from them. Wasn't Edge or Bentley a walk on. I think is was Albert. This is excellent news.

Yeah, Nebraska has long had the "model" walk-on program. It helps that they are a state school (state tuition) and there really aren't a lot of other college options in Nebraska.

Gotta be Albert that you're thinking about, I know that Edge was on scholarship.

Advertisement
Yeah, Nebraska has long had the "model" walk-on program. It helps that they are a state school (state tuition) and there really aren't a lot of other college options in Nebraska.

Gotta be Albert that you're thinking about, I know that Edge was on scholarship.
Yeah, I thought so. Both from Immokalee, I think. Which one rode a bike to school? That was cool story line.

NE did have monster walk-on and very "special" 5 year oline program. My favorite team to play in NC game. I think we are 3-0 against them. They did beat us in OB Game to win one but I do not think we were in position to win the title by beating them. I could be wrong.

I don’t think he is a DT I think he is all offensive guard. He played at the same high school in CT that sent John Moffitt to Wisconsin and after a redshirt was a 4 year starter there. John was listed as 6-2 but that was wrong and he was 6-4/6-5. He went to the league and went off the deep end. But John was a better athlete.

As I said, Brooks has some stuff to like. He uses his hands well and although high once he gets his hands on you you are done. I know it’s CT football which isn’t exactly South Florida action and I admit i don’t know how he did at IMG. But so have seen much worse on film that Miami has offered and signed.

Albert Bentley rode to practice on his bicycle. He wanted to try out. They tried to shoo him away. He persisted.

Edge was no walkon. He was an elite, coveted recruit with a senior year injury and poor grades.

Both overcame.

EDIT: Yes, both from Immokalee.

http://www.umsportshalloffame.com/albert-bentley.html

Last edited:
We d
Yeah, I thought so. Both from Immokalee, I think. Which one rode a bike to school? That was cool story line.

NE did have monster walk-on and very "special" 5 year oline program. My favorite team to play in NC game. I think we are 3-0 against them. They did beat us in OB Game to win one but I do not think we were in position to win the title by beating them. I could be wrong.
We did lose to them in early 60's Gotham Bowl but no national title implications.

Advertisement
Doesn't look half bad. Kids huge and moves well. Probably relies on his size more than technique if anything but a pretty good low risk/high reward kid to contribute in a few years.

Advertisement
Back