New coach & appeasing our fan base

Brooklyndee

We ****** or wut
Premium
I've been trying my best to keep any comments to myself. But I gotta mention just one simple thing... I played for this university from 95-97. I love butch as a man & a coach. He truly is amazing & a genius on motivating his players & getting the most out of us. However it really seems like you forget our fan base spent all of 95-99 complaining about butch as a horrible game day coach. Constant complaints that he couldn't beat fspew or vtech. All the way until the 99-00 season that was a constant. Personally I would love to see butch come back home but I can't help but think how far off our fan base is with some of these opinions. #1the one mandatory thing in most eyes is we need a coach who can unite both the fan base & our alumni. Who knows our history & embraces it. Fact here is the best coach for all of that is chud. Chud is amazingly thought of & loved by everyone that matters. He's an offensive genius & would put together a who's who of a staff. Everything you can dream of you would have with chud even more so than butch. #2 thing that kills me is all these geniuses opinions about mario.yes it's a given mario was eventually fired at fiu by pete. It's also a given he created fiu football. He made a team with no resources & no history relevant. They beat some good teams & he recruited some players who never would've came near there otherwise. If you give mario the history & resources that he would have here he could conceivably do some amazing things. My one concern with mario is he is very pig headed. He can be tough to get along with & keeping that in mind I'd be concerned about the staff he could put together... #3 have you all not learned about these quick hit coaches who have no history & no link to our family. Was al golden not enough for you to learn we don't want a coach of the moment. We want lineage. So that means no to Herman or fuentes. I want a um man running shopping who embraces pro set & embraces a 4-3 attacking d. If that's not where were headed than I'm concerned.

Advertisement
If it's any consolation, I was class of 94 and I was rooting for you the whole time.

I've been trying my best to keep any comments to myself. But I gotta mention just one simple thing... I played for this university from 95-97. I love butch as a man & a coach. He truly is amazing & a genius on motivating his players & getting the most out of us. However it really seems like you forget our fan base spent all of 95-99 complaining about butch as a horrible game day coach. Constant complaints that he couldn't beat fspew or vtech. All the way until the 99-00 season that was a constant. Personally I would love to see butch come back home but I can't help but think how far off our fan base is with some of these opinions. #1the one mandatory thing in most eyes is we need a coach who can unite both the fan base & our alumni. Who knows our history & embraces it. Fact here is the best coach for all of that is chud. Chud is amazingly thought of & loved by everyone that matters. He's an offensive genius & would put together a who's who of a staff. Everything you can dream of you would have with chud even more so than butch. #2 thing that kills me is all these geniuses opinions about mario.yes it's a given mario was eventually fired at fiu by pete. It's also a given he created fiu football. He made a team with no resources & no history relevant. They beat some good teams & he recruited some players who never would've came near there otherwise. If you give mario the history & resources that he would have here he could conceivably do some amazing things. My one concern with mario is he is very pig headed. He can be tough to get along with & keeping that in mind I'd be concerned about the staff he could put together... #3 have you all not learned about these quick hit coaches who have no history & no link to our family. Was al golden not enough for you to learn we don't want a coach of the moment. We want lineage. So that means no to Herman or fuentes. I want a um man running shopping who embraces pro set & embraces a 4-3 attacking d. If that's not where were headed than I'm concerned.

Oh you mean like Al Golden at Temple?

Advertisement

OP, I posted somewhat of a response in another thread regarding this same concern about Butch.

First, I'll be open and honest, although I was a young buck....I wanted Butch gone from the program. Then as you grow up and reflect...hindsight becomes 20/20. The expression, "you don't know what you have, until it's gone" is totally applicable in this case.

During the 1994-1995 season, we were just competing for a national title, a national title we let slip away by being undisciplined in the 4th quarter against Nebaska. Then Butch becomes coach to a team that was (this close) to winning title number 5, but it wasn't the same team at all. The team was smacked in the mouth by shady crap happening under Erickson's watch. Butch came into a true hurricane of scandals.

I feel we lost sight of what he had to deal with, and we focused upon, as a spoiled fan base, when's the next national championship game. People want to give Golden so much credit for "sticking" w/ us during the Shapiro scandal, but that was light showers compare to what Butch had to navigate through. The fact that he compiled a 51-20 record here dealing w/ 31 loss scholarships is truly, TRULY remarkable.

I think what you see now is a whole bunch of fans who, after reflecting on what, and how he had to endure the near death of the program, are truly appreciating the job he did here. I think what you see is a fan base who were being spoiled back through '95-99' seasons, waking up and coming to our senses, that ****, Butch was a helluva coach for us.

Butch knows South Fla, he knows talent, and he knows the Miami way. He's proven. Could it be a failure the 2nd time around? Maybe...but as we've seen from the last 3 hires, it could be a failure w/ a Herman, or Strong, or Richt, or Cristobal or any other name you want to insert. However, history shows that Butch will be able to lock down the fence and re-establish a great Miami team. I have SCw friends who are saying this, FSU friends who believe, and my grandma who's a diehard Roll Tide fan who do not want to see Butch back. That's not a coincidence OP...not a coincidence.

Last edited:
Many good points, but you lost me at the pro set offense, why can't we run an Oregon style offense. Some people laugh at that thought but why not make it a reality, we would win big. It would also give us an identity on offense. I feel a lot of coaches these days make life to difficult, we are fortunate to be in the best recruiting area, why not use it in our favor.

Al was never a great coordinator, x o guy or HC . It was just a cheap hire.

I hope you're not trying to insinuate him to Herman. There's nothing in common.

Many good points, but you lost me at the pro set offense, why can't we run an Oregon style offense. Some people laugh at that thought but why not make it a reality, we would win big. It would also give us an identity on offense. I feel a lot of coaches these days make life to difficult, we are fortunate to be in the best recruiting area, why not use it in our favor.

He's just another cane that's stuck in the past. He probably wants a 4-3 defense, pro style offense and a staff littered with former canes. That automatically makes you great.

We'll be back!!

Advertisement
I don't care who is the coach if they win. If it's a guy that took my girlfriend being 7/11 for a good time behind my back out there winning titles for us, I don't care. I have my opinion on who I want, but ultimately I just want a winner.

have you all not learned about these quick hit coaches who have no history & no link to our family. Was al golden not enough for you to learn we don't want a coach of the moment. We want lineage. So that means no to Herman or fuentes. I want a um man running shopping who embraces pro set & embraces a 4-3 attacking d. If that's not where were headed than I'm concerned.

I get what you're saying, but if we keep using this criteria, we would keep hiring Randys and ignoring Jimmy Johnsons.

You mentioning Chud and Mario as viable candidates tell's me all I need to know. I'm glad you're not making the decisions because we would continue to suck.

have you all not learned about these quick hit coaches who have no history & no link to our family. Was al golden not enough for you to learn we don't want a coach of the moment. We want lineage. So that means no to Herman or fuentes. I want a um man running shopping who embraces pro set & embraces a 4-3 attacking d. If that's not where were headed than I'm concerned.

I get what you're saying, but if we keep using this criteria, we would keep hiring Randys and ignoring Jimmy Johnsons.

Repped

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back