Off-Topic Nepal plane crash

Advertisement
Advertisement
Try Zirpati Air. Flew it x10.

People carried on chickens.
Never heard of that one.

I once flew Lufthansa (only western airline with flights between Europe and Jordan at the time) from Amman to Frankfurt. Right after the Lockerbie air disaster.

A beautiful, elegant and modern airport in the desert outside Amman. When I checked baggage, though, my suitcases went onto the conveyor belt with beat-up cardboard boxes tied with ropes, a used TV set wrapped in a blanket, etc. The Germans had also just arrested a Middle Eastern terrorist cell in Hamburg, so there was that too! Not exactly confidence-inspiring.

Never heard of that one.

I once flew Lufthansa (only western airline with flights between Europe and Jordan at the time) from Amman to Frankfurt. Right after the Lockerbie air disaster.

A beautiful, elegant and modern airport in the desert outside Amman. When I checked baggage, though, my suitcases went onto the conveyor belt with beat-up cardboard boxes tied with ropes, a used TV set wrapped in a blanket, etc. The Germans had also just arrested a Middle Eastern terrorist cell in Hamburg, so there was that too! Not exactly confidence-inspiring.

I flew Air Florida out of DC the day after the crash.....literally there were more flight attendants than passengers.

I flew Air Florida out of DC the day after the crash.....literally there were more flight attendants than passengers.
Not surprised.

Howard Stern was a deejay on DC-101 at the time. The very day you flew out he called Air Florida during his morning show to ask, on the air, about the price of a one-way ticket from National Airport to the 14th Street Bridge (which the plane had crashed into the day before, killing 70).

BTW, having flown in and out of National (now Reagan National) a hundred times or more, it's an airport most pilots hate. It was built in the era of propeller aircraft and requires a lot of low-altitude maneuvering for today's jets. Built on a spit of land into the Potomac, some of the runways are shorter than usually found, meaning a limited stopping margin on landings. Plus, the River serves as a wind tunnel.

If you can fly into Dulles or BWI, they are safer options.

Advertisement
Not surprised.

Howard Stern was a deejay on DC-101 at the time. The very day you flew out he called Air Florida during his morning show to ask, on the air, about the price of a one-way ticket from National Airport to the 14th Street Bridge (which the plane had crashed into the day before, killing 70).

BTW, having flown in and out of National (now Reagan National) a hundred times or more, it's an airport most pilots hate. It was built in the era of propeller aircraft and requires a lot of low-altitude maneuvering for today's jets. Built on a spit of land into the Potomac, some of the runways are shorter than usually found, meaning a limited stopping margin on landings. Plus, the River serves as a wind tunnel.

If you can fly into Dulles or BWI, they are safer options.

Rio is that way. Galeao, their Dulles equivalent is out in the boonies, so its mostly used for international flights. It has two small airports in town, Santos Dumont and Congonhas, now called something else. The latter is bigger than National, but Santos Dumont was tiny, and looking back on it, extremely unsafe.

Advertisement
Rio is that way. Galeao, their Dulles equivalent is out in the boonies, so its mostly used for international flights. It has two small airports in town, Santos Dumont and Congonhas, now called something else. The latter is bigger than National, but Santos Dumont was tiny, and looking back on it, extremely unsafe.
Scariest US airport (if you can call it one) I've ever flown into was Morgantown, WV. Totally surrounded by mountains. A rainy day adding to it, the pilot made three hair-raising passes before finally attempting a landing in the commuter plane he was flying us on.

In a Commuter he made 3 passes? Like a Prop plane? Holy **** , can't imagine a DC-jet engine level plane trying to make that landing if its that bad

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back