NCAA News Impact on Basketball

theu51

Redshirt Freshman
What I haven't seen discussed is the impact the scholarship reduction has on basketball and the discussion regarding our football players playing bball. We lose 1 scholarship the next 3 years. But with Corn Elder playing bball this year, and hopefully Griffin if he qualifies we received a "free" basketball player who is on football scholarship. Doesn't this penalty really just negate the advantage we had by having a basketball player on football scholarship and not lose any additional scholarships that Coach L had to play with? Joshdacane?

Advertisement
well it helps for sure but lets put this in perspective 1 ship lost by hoops = 6.5 ships for football on an apples/apples basis
That would be like football getting dinged nearly 20 ships over 3 years! Its total f-n BS if you ask me especially since Haith got a 5 game suspension!
Now is it manageable? yes it is but not fair at all IMO. We can certainly mitigate it by using guys like Elder/Griffin for sure but reality is you would use that 13th ship for a redshirt kid to help balance your classes.

The other place where it hurts us is in balancing our classes. We only had one scholarship available in the 2015 class, and had planned to shift another one by taking a graduate transfer in the spring if possible. We now have zero scholarships in that class, essentially, unless we do not take another (non-one year) player in this class - while we have a top 150 kid in Dante Buford visiting tomorrow. I suspect we are done recruiting in this class if we do not get him.

The other place where it hurts us is in balancing our classes. We only had one scholarship available in the 2015 class, and had planned to shift another one by taking a graduate transfer in the spring if possible. We now have zero scholarships in that class, essentially, unless we do not take another (non-one year) player in this class - while we have a top 150 kid in Dante Buford visiting tomorrow. I suspect we are done recruiting in this class if we do not get him.

It makes it even bigger now to use that last spot on a grad transfer. Get someone in here to play right away and to carry that spot over for next year. Like you and strauzer said this single scholarship reduction for the next 3 years is huge to the program even with Elder and possibly Griffin possibly playing bball. Rarely do football players contribute anything significant especially at the major college level.

Advertisement
Assuming it's the same as the football restrictions, it's not one less kid per class. It's just one less kid at the overall cap. So instead of playing with 13, we play with 12 for 3 years. No 12th guy to carry the towels. Not such a big deal at all.

See my football thread explanations. These reductions are toothless because there are no class caps, just roster caps.

The NCAA hurt us.

We're in the tourney two years ago. DeQuan Jones has a chance to be developed, we were hurt by this BS. Now we lose a ship for 3 years. Wonderful.

The NCAA hurt us.

We're in the tourney two years ago. DeQuan Jones has a chance to be developed, we were hurt by this BS. Now we lose a ship for 3 years. Wonderful.

Haith deserved the poison pill, but I heard fwiw, NCAA messed up in obtaining his records in conjunction with Bank. of America

Advertisement
The NCAA hurt us.

Haith deserved the poison pill, but I heard fwiw, NCAA messed up in obtaining his records in conjunction with Bank. of America

Probably another reason why Haith didnt get the show cause

The biggest loser from the NCAA penalties is Mizzou. They could have been off the hook with Haith.

Advertisement
Back