My thoughts so far (short)

ChosenOne

Band
Banned
Not writing anything long because I'm sure y'all read enough essays tonight. To put it short everything that we thought would be a concern coming into the season isn't so far (QB, RB depth, WR depth, TE depth, OL improvement - thus far) and everything we thought were a non-issue are issues (DL - specially pass rush, LB, and DB especially the CBs, Manny and his scheme)

Some of y'all need to stop this delusion that we are not "showing our conference opponent our real offense and defense" as if they can't just pop in the 2016 tape. Y'all sounding like Gator fans with the false hope that our offense and defense are actually on par with Alabama and Clemson.

I'm so over grad transfer/JC players.. our batting avgerage on those type of players have to be a .163. I've seen like 2 pan out no matter what they are ranked or how well respected they are as a player from their former school. Wyche, Delaney, Gilbert, Ryan Williams, that "#1 ranked" juco TE dude a couple years back and that recent LSU OT pickup and much more all bust. Willis, Colbert, and like Brook berlin are the last transfers that worked and they weren't lighting up the world or anything. We'll be back when we don't ever have to go that route again.

In hindsight, recruiting a DII grand transfer and JC player and expecting them to be your best players is pretty foolish. They're usually therefor a reason.. because they don't have the talent in most cases.

Is it time to question Gus fielder yet? Not seeing any SEC like strength or speed improvment. Instead, nothing but hamstring injuries to our players. idk maybe it is just the talent. I was just expecting dominace at least against the likes of BCC or Toledo. To much to ask? To look like Alabama against those teams?

Rosier is straight but I still have to hold my official thoughts on him. I see the potential but like Dwinstitle said it feels like our offense is part of ancient times and our playbook is written on a scroll.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I dont see what ppl want from our offense, its better than Alabama by far to me... defense is 100% of the problem imo.

Clemson runs a one read offense how is that more creative than our offense that can make plays all over the field at every position?? The only issue I have with the offense is consistency which can improve with game experience.

Defense is the side of the ball that's keeping us from being where Alabama and Clemson are as a fb team.

why do people on this board expect us to play like alabama? check the recruiting rankings... we don't have alabama talent. thankfully richt is changing that. if you're mad about depth issues and having to plug grad transfers into the starting line up, well... that's why they fired the other guy.

I'm sorry, but the second half O looked like we magically took our heads out of our butts. It was NOT the same O. Not the same philosophy. It was an attacking, full speed ahead O. MUCH unlike anything we've seen thus far.

Advertisement
I'm sorry, but the second half O looked like we magically took our heads out of our butts. It was NOT the same O. Not the same philosophy. It was an attacking, full speed ahead O. MUCH unlike anything we've seen thus far.

It was the same O, guys were just doing their jobs. People about how we need to be all tricky, but all we need to do is execute. We have better players than pretty much everybody else, they just need to do their jobs all the time. Same on D, just do your **** job and we'll be fine.

I am pretty sure our 2001 team had a few transfers, Shocky and McDougle being a couple. That is not the issue man.

Not writing anything long because I'm sure y'all read enough essays tonight. To put it short everything that we thought would be a concern coming into the season isn't so far (QB, RB depth, WR depth, TE depth, OL improvement - thus far) and everything we thought were a non-issue are issues (DL - specially pass rush, LB, and DB especially the CBs, Manny and his scheme)

Some of y'all need to stop this delusion that we are not "showing our conference opponent our real offense and defense" as if they can't just pop in the 2016 tape. Y'all sounding like Gator fans with the false hope that our offense and defense are actually on par with Alabama and Clemson.

I'm so over grad transfer/JC players.. our batting avgerage on those type of players have to be a .163. I've seen like 2 pan out no matter what they are ranked or how well respected they are as a player from their former school. Wyche, Delaney, Gilbert, Ryan Williams, that "#1 ranked" juco TE dude a couple years back and that recent LSU OT pickup and much more all bust. Willis, Colbert, and like Brook berlin are the last transfers that worked and they weren't lighting up the world or anything. We'll be back when we don't ever have to go that route again.

In hindsight, recruiting a DII grand transfer and JC player and expecting them to be your best players is pretty foolish. They're usually therefor a reason.. because they don't have the talent in most cases.

Is it time to question Gus fielder yet? Not seeing any SEC like strength or speed improvment. Instead, nothing but hamstring injuries to our players. idk maybe it is just the talent. I was just expecting dominace at least against the likes of BCC or Toledo. To much to ask? To look like Alabama against those teams?

Rosier is straight but I still have to hold my official thoughts on him. I see the potential but like Dwinstitle said it feels like our offense is part of ancient times and our playbook is written on a scroll.

Lol what has Gerald Willis done exactly to earn your approval??

The 2nd quarter was a debacle from the defense, and the offense had not established any rhythm because of dropped passes that killed drives after Walton's long runs. That lopsided TOP really turned momentum their way until Rosier picked up the slack on that long drive in the 3rd quarter. Walton's return was a noticeable shot in the arm for the team, even though Homer was getting some good reps.

Watching parts of other games yesterday, we really showed a much more balanced approach than many other Top 25 teams and showed we could beat you in multiple ways. The 2nd half offense was fun to watch. Kinda reminded me of how fun it was to watch the defense the last few games of 2016...

Many on this board (me included) initially hoped that a strong D-line could mask any deficiencies in our inexperienced secondary. Not only is Delaney getting picked on, but these uptempo offenses that are running 4-5 WR sets work hard to get the ball out quick. This is making the D-line less of a factor and exposing the secondary at the same time. Definitely concerning. Hate seeing our LBs look like they are reacting to plays rather than dictating.

All is not lost, let's just understand that each week the team is going to keep building and working to improve. Hope to see that translate on the field.

Advertisement

It was the same O, guys were just doing their jobs. People about how we need to be all tricky, but all we need to do is execute. We have better players than pretty much everybody else, they just need to do their jobs all the time. Same on D, just do your **** job and we'll be fine.

I'll have to rewatch to verify, but if memory serves me well, I disagree.

Off the top of my head, I think we threw two balls in the first half on routes over 10 yards. We were heavy on running and a lot of quick slants and other short passes. In the second half we went uptempo and started to let Rosier sling it. He hit on, and attempted, way more intermediate and downfield routes compared to the first half.

The first half play calling seemed very safe. High percentage throws near the LOS (Rosier bounced a few, go figure) but in the second half we were running downfield routes and letting him throw. I was shocked at some of the throws Rosier made in the second half.

I have to rewatch because I was huffing drain cleaner, but that's how I remember the offense changing between halves. Hoping we come out with our hair on fire and Rosier off the leash to start every game from here on out.

College football is a fun ride. Looking forward to the Duke game. CANES

Advertisement
Back