My thoughts on KenPom

Advertisement
I wish these dumb ***** would stop bringing it up on tv , radio, podcast. They talk about how high UConn is but so was Houston and Texas and look what happened to them. I’m not saying we will for sure win( we will) but it’s not going to be a cake walk for UConn like they they keep saying . It really feels like they’re not even watching the games witch some of this **** they say, it’s like you get paid to do this for a living do a better ******* job and actually watch the games and use your eyes balls

Advertisement
Kenpom is a weatherman who couldn’t figure out how to model a system WITHOUT the variability of human emotion and performance (weather)… so he picked a system 10,000x more complex and tried to model it because the profit potential is greater and academic scrutiny is virtually non-existent.

Kenpom may be one of the biggest scams of our generation… but it’s also not really his fault because “don’t hate the player, hate the game”. He designed a system that sounds smart and sophisticated and tends to capture some defining features of traditionally elite teams… but is a totally fraudulent ranking system and has limited predictive value.

Advertisement
Kenpom is a weatherman who couldn’t figure out how to model a system WITHOUT the variability of human emotion and performance (weather)… so he picked a system 10,000x more complex and tried to model it because the profit potential is greater and academic scrutiny is virtually non-existent.

Kenpom may be one of the biggest scams of our generation… but it’s also not really his fault because “don’t hate the player, hate the game”. He designed a system that sounds smart and sophisticated and tends to capture some defining features of traditionally elite teams… but is a totally fraudulent ranking system and has limited predictive value.
Been saying this. It keeps track of certain things but really isn't a good indicator of who can beat who. Thats where people tend to misuse Kenpom.

It is totally a rigid and arbitrary system calculated on personal whim. For me the system has so many flaws in it, ( how it is calculated), that I can not understand how any intelligent individual can not see it, or buy into it. How the tiers are set up, how overstated a bad quad loss is, and it goes on and on.
FSU had a bad year, but are they really the 268 worst team in the country, I don't think so.

Advertisement
Back