My take on yesterdays game.

• Thread starter Deleted member 26015
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 26015

I try to distinguish this post from the other takes and go in a bit of a different direction.

First and foremost, Mack Brown vs Manny Diaz is a complete mismatch. Mack Brown was an OC at the college level when Manny Diaz was six years old. Experience wise, Mack Brown is so far ahead of Manny Diaz. The second thing is, these two have worked together. So Mack Brown knows the scheme of Manny Diaz in and out. He knows the tendencies, he knows the focus of the defense and he knows what we cant defend. And thats what was dialed up. Counter and Outside Zone. And, just to mix it up, they put Dyami Brown on DJ Ivey and threw the ball deep every once in a while. It wasnt complex schemes that beat us. All they did was execute on the fundamental stuff, something that we havent done well for the most part.

Second, Stacy Searels has an offensive line full of three stars. Not highly recruited players. Not sought after recruits with insane highlight tape where they pancake people into the hotdog stand. The trenches are a thing of pride. Either you keep your pride and fight or you lose your pride and quit. This offensive line made things personal because Searels made it personal. We all know Searels isnt the most mild mannered person in the world and we all know Diaz cleaned the house when he arrived as the HC. Considering that Searels lined up against this defense for years with an offensive line that couldnt be bothered to learn the **** snap count... he knew too. He knew how to beat us and his coached players went out and did it. He was given the fault for the performances of the offensive line but after what we heard about the O-Line group last season, how reluctant they were to learn the playbook, etc... he wanted to show that it was not him.

We went into this game playing the same *** defense we played for years now. Its really easy to get outcoached when you face the opposing Head Coach and an assistant coach who both know your scheme in and out.

And when I look at their assistant coaches on the defensive side of the ball vs ours... Bly (CB Coach) was a Pro Bowl CB while not even being 5´10 because of his elite technique. Tommy Thigpen (ILB coach) has coached linebackers at the highest level in College Football and won a national title. Jay Bateman (DC and S) and Tim Cross (D-Line) have coached top defensive units at Army and Air Force. Military schools... you know, those schools where discipline is a key priority, who recruit low ranked recruits who are, especially in the trenches, undersized (no Air Force DT goes above 285, the NG are between 5-11 and 6-2 with a maximum of 275). Which means, their technique has to be really good in order to succeed.

The scoreboard wasnt about the talent that was lined up on the field. It was about the coaching. The reason why we got hammered 62-26, especially on the defensive side of the ball, is because they have players, who are low ranked recruits with good coaching behind them. The coaching staff that they have vs ours with Baker, Patke and Rumph is like D1 vs D2.

Manny had no problem firing the offensive staff because those werent his guys. Rumph, apparently, feels disconnected from the program and wants out. Banda, Patke and Baker are all his guys. All of them suck. So, naturally he has to clean house. Will he do so? Ask me around January. Cause thats where it has to happen if it doesnt happen beforehand.

And, yes, hiring quality staff means that you have to open the bank.

Advertisement
Well said, OP. To me, a bigger issue is Manny just not realizing any of what you said himself. The entire ACC knows how to play his defense. He never changes it up. Manny is a smart man but he's been blind to this. Maybe yesterday was the wake up call he needed. I kept thinking that the kids realized early on the game plan was garbage and when no adjustments were made (or at least none visible ) and they were left hanging out to dry, that's when they gave up.

I just don't see any public firing happening before ESD and the bowl game. Doesn't matter if Baker personally recruited any of the guys on defense; get the kids signed before any major changes are made. Take responsibility for a bad game plan - let the kids come to their own conclusions about the poor play. Chances are most of them will think they are better than the guys on the field.

Pretty sure last year Enos knew going into the bowl he was gone. It wouldn't surprise me if something similar happened and any coaching changes happen by "mutual agreement" after the bowl. A solid win there would let the parting seem like a moving on to better things for Baker and anyone else who is let go.

Happy to be wrong on this. And maybe behind the scenes there's already been some talk between Manny and Baker. IDK . But the long time relationship with all of them and Manny makes me believe he won't fire them outright at this time.

I kept thinking that the kids realized early on the game plan was garbage and when no adjustments were made (or at least none visible ) and they were left hanging out to dry, that's when they gave up.
This is something that some people dont get and that really belongs to anyone playing any type of sport.

I played for coaches that didnt coach well. Like, players understand the sport they are playing. They arent dumb. They have to understand it. But if they get that what you are teaching is crap, they wont follow.

Advertisement
But can Mack Brown relate to South Florida talent? We don't need an old coach with experience. We need someone that will make our players feel good about themselves.

This is something that some people dont get and that really belongs to anyone playing any type of sport.

I played for coaches that didnt coach well. Like, players understand the sport they are playing. They arent dumb. They have to understand it. But if they get that what you are teaching is crap, they wont follow.
It's not the first time that thought crossed my mind when watching the team play. I think Roche had an interesting comment last night about the scheme and the players. It wasn't so much WHAT he said but the way he said it. It was something like "the coaches put a scheme in place and the team just has to enact it"

Thinking back to the other close wins we had, in particular Va Tech. The defensive players totally took it up another notch after halftime adjustments and really locked down Va Tech. The adjustments were clear and obvious. The players believed in them and they worked.
None of that happened last night.....

We kept slanting our d line outta the play, never set an edge and our lbs were non existent. Not to mention the the terrible strategy of our lbs waiting a second or two before reacting. If Manny doesn’t do the same thing with Baker that he did to Enos we are screwed. He legit needs to be the CEO and hire a proven DC who will run the show.

Advertisement
Dont hire someone you cant fire, right. After that record breaking performance by the defense last night, Manny has to be on the clock to make changes, which he seems to only make when things get to a crisis.

It’s basically Manny’s defense so he’ll have to swallow a lot of pride to admit it’s a failure and then take action to fix it.

Advertisement
But can Mack Brown relate to South Florida talent? We don't need an old coach with experience. We need someone that will make our players feel good about themselves.
Exactly, we lead the nation in social justice and in the end that’s what’s truly important

Yeah this whole coaching "requirement" is bull****. Erickson is from Montana and Jimmy is from (I think) Oklahoma and they did great. The kids just want to win, they'll listen to whoever they think can help them do that.

Advertisement
It's not uncommon for Manny's D to get gashed early in games but one area i always gave him credit for were good halftime adjustments. Usually the D comes out much stronger in 2nd half of games. Yesterday? Not 1 adjustment was made, i was completely baffled. UNC just ran the same counter run and we did nothing to stop it. I'm still lost at wtf we all saw

It's not uncommon for Manny's D to get gashed early in games but one area i always gave him credit for were good halftime adjustments. Usually the D comes out much stronger in 2nd half of games. Yesterday? Not 1 adjustment was made, i was completely baffled. UNC just ran the same counter run and we did nothing to stop it. I'm still lost at wtf we all saw
I just said something similar in another thread.

Yeah this whole coaching "requirement" is bull****. Erickson is from Montana and Jimmy is from (I think) Oklahoma and they did great. The kids just want to win, they'll listen to whoever they think can help them do that.
BS85, I think ThomasM and ScubaCane were being facetious....Of course, we all agree: hire the best man available and let him hire the best staff we can afford. Now, we can't afford Alabama's or Ohio States assistants, but I am sure we can pay what ND or Oklahoma pay theirs, if the school really wanted to compete for titles.

Advertisement
Back