My Post Game Recap - Duke

Advertisement
Absolutely. Howell Has the physical make up but when you speed him up, he makes a lot of bad decisions. Mentally the game hasn’t slowed down for him. That’s a big reason why they struggle so much to sustain drives. If we don’t give up big plays we win by 3 scores.
Next week I don't want to hear "If's, but's and nuts" just win baby!

Phillips looked like a man possessed. I don't know if he was that great or if Duke OL was that bad. Nevertheless, that was a top 3 DL performance in the last 20 years. Completely dominated and seemed to make a play any time he wanted. Great to see.

I know it's wishful thinking but I'd love to see him come back for another year.

GO CANES!!!
Phillips a good talent and not to be diminished, but likely a touch more lean to bad Duke OL.

Advertisement
Thanks LCE for your writeup. Solid win for sure. Who cares about the opponent. It's about what your team does and to shoutout a team is **** impressive! Matter of fact, I heard the last time UM shoutout an opponent was almost 20 years ago!

What are your thoughts with the interior OL going forward? Thought Donaldson looked pretty good being that he's not played this year. Man, if he can just get his weight down somewhat he'd be a force inside.

What happened to Pope?
I think the interior OL is in good shape. Donaldson, Gaynor & Clark are a serviceable 3, Scaife should be moved back to Tackle next year.

Nothing happened to Pope, they didn't throw to him because they didn't need to, most of the targets went to Brevin & Chaney.

LB play was the best I've seen it in awhile...lotta haters in here but go back and watch just 11 and how he keys and barks.

OL was noticeably better with 55 playing IMO

Almost 20 years since we've seen a win like this - think about that.

Advertisement
I think the interior OL is in good shape. Donaldson, Gaynor & Clark are a serviceable 3, Scaife should be moved back to Tackle next year.

Nothing happened to Pope, they didn't throw to him because they didn't need to, most of the targets went to Brevin & Chaney.
So on a scale if 1 to 10 with 10 the high where do you rate our OL now. I say about a 6.
PS this is in comparison to offensive lines around college football this season

So on a scale if 1 to 10 with 10 the high where do you rate our OL now. I say about a 6.
PS this is in comparison to offensive lines around college football this season
Between 5-7 depending on the opponent.

We're actually pretty good at pass protection, but Run Blocking we're average to slightly above average vs weaker Defenses & below average vs good Defenses.

Advertisement
Between 5-7 depending on the opponent.

We're actually pretty good at pass protection, but Run Blocking we're average to slightly above average vs weaker Defenses & below average vs good Defenses.

this is something that will be the next step for this offense, when they can just routinely get 4 yards on those inside runs, that's when it will become a truly elite unit offensively

Posted in the wrong thread (twice) bc of my phone, but...

Its pretty clear we were banged up the past few games.

The conferences might want to consider 2 to 3 week layoffs on a permanent basis. It'd definitely increase the quality of Play.
Bolden for sure

this is something that will be the next step for this offense, when they can just routinely get 4 yards on those inside runs, that's when it will become a truly elite unit offensively
I will say at this point if it is 3rd and less than 5 I feel confident of a conversion. Haven’t felt that in years

Advertisement
View attachment 136901

Offense:

D'Eriq King - 16/24 248yds 3TD's at 66.7%cmp & 11att 46yds & 1TD rushing.
Cam'ron Harris - 15att 96yds & 2TD's at 6.4ypc
Don Chaney Jr - 9att 62yds & 4rec 81yds
Brevin Jordan - 4rec 75yds 1TD
Mike Harley - 2rec 105yds 1TD
Dee Wiggins - 3rec 14yds 1TD

Offense gained 524yds of total yards (304 passing & 220 rushing) off 68 plays at 7.7 yards per play, 24 1st downs & 4/10 on 3rd down, with 27:38 in time of possession.

You could see the rust in the first two drives, but on the 3rd possession was a well orchestrated 88 yard drive with good runs from King, Chaney & Cam. Great pass & play call to Brevin Jordan on the post route for a TD.

Getting Brevin back fully healthy is noticeable, his impact in the passing game makes us an even more formidable passing attack because we can work the intermediate routes in the middle of field & can exploit the mismatches against Defense without top notch Safety & LB play.

Good run by Cam Harris on the TD, & had a very good cutback run to break one open for another big gain. Cam has had good performances his last 3 games, he's had his best Yards per carry since the Louisville game, he's bounced back after having some struggles in the middle of the season. He's always a game breaker threat when he gets in space in the 2nd level of the defense, once he bounces outside he's gone for a big gain.

Chaney played great! He had some nice tough runs like he always does & a great catch & run in the 4th quarter on a pass from Perry. He's tough & has a high motor as a runner, his contact balance is A+ & is a kid that the more reps he gets the more impactful he'll be. I remember when people swore it would take him 5 & half years (exaggeration lol) to pickup a college offense because he played in a Wing-T High school, but a few of us tried to tell yall that was ridiculous & this kid was gonna be baller from the start. Hate to say I told you so, but you know the rest...

Great series of play calls by Lashlee on the TD drive in the 3rd quarter after getting the ball back off the forced fumble by Roche. Quick screen Wiggins, deep seam route to Brevin, QB counter sweep, PA swing pass to Mallory out of the backfield & then another quick screen to Wiggins for the TD, 3 plays in a row to the short side of the field towards the boundary & worked the matchup perfectly. For those who complain & nitpick about Lashlee, go rewatch that drive & play sequences & realize you're just simply off base. He's by far our best coordinator since Chud.

Mike Harley continued to elevate himself as the best WR on the team, on the 89yds TD it was actually the same play & formation he scored on vs Pitt out of the Wide Trip stack formation slipping out from the field side & forcing a busted coverage because the Defense in a Single high zone simply doesn't know which route to pickup, another great play call to dial it up backed deep in our own Red zone.

That was a **** of a run by King on his TD, he lowered his shoulder & dove into the end zone initiating contact with the defender, it was a tough run that you usually don't see QB's make, but is indicative of what kind of player he is, a tough relentless competitor & great leader.

If I'm Lashlee I'd offer this kid half my salary to come back for one more year. King is among the top 3 best players in the ACC, he's a competitive force of nature that carries this team on his back to victories. King+Lashlee= W's!

Defense:

Bubba Bolden - 9tcks 1FF
Amari Carter - 7tcks 1FR
Quincy Roche - 6tcks 3TFL's 1.5 sack 1FF 1FR
Keontra Smith - 6tcks 2TFL's
Waymon Steed - 5tcks 1FF
Corey Flagg Jr - 5tcks 1FR
Jaelan Phillips - 4tcks 3.5TFL's 2.5 sacks
Gurvan Hall - 4tcks 1TFL
Bradley Jennings - 4tcks
Gilbert Frierson - 4tcks
Tirek Austin-Cave - 3tcks
Marcus Clarke - 3tcks 0.5TFL's 1INT
Nesta Silvera - 2tcks 1TFL 1FF
Jahfari Harvey - 2tcks 1TFL
Te'Cory Couch - 1tck 1PBU

Defense played stout, only allowing 81yds total offense in the 1st half & just 7yds rushing in the first half, they finished only allowing 177yds total & held them to just 56yds rushing all game! Plus had 13 TFL's, 3 sacks & forced 5 turnovers!

Phillips didn't miss a beat with the time off, he was disruptive & caused havoc for Duke's OL all game long. That was a great job of keeping contain on the 4th down reverse play, he read the ball & immediately zeroed in the runner to get the big 4th down stop. On his sack in the 3rd quarter he absolutely embarrassed the OL with an inside over the top swim move.

He's our best player on Defense by far, he absolutely better be 1st team All-ACC at the end of the season. He's playing himself into a high 2nd round pick, he's a man on a mission. Man, just imagine how Ungodly our pass rush would've been with Rousseau, Phillips, Roche, Nesta & JHH this season... **** what coulda been.

Quincy Roche played very good as well, he was NASCARing his OT matchup all night, heavy speed rushes & was getting around the corner & getting hurries on the QB on nearly every snap, speeding up his processing. He was one of the the highest graded Defenders by PFF on the season coming into this game & it's clear why, his active hands & speed rush ability are extremely difficult to deal with, especially when OL's have to account for Phillips & Nesta collapsing the pocket too. Roche played a heck of a game!

Nesta was incredibly disruptive as well, he was bull rushing the shît out of their interior lineman & forced some busted plays at the line of scrimmage due to him completely overpowering his man, he's really stepped up big time in his play this year.

Corey Flagg played well getting sideline to sideline on Bubble screens & a doing a good job slowing down the runner & keeping them from getting excess gains.

Bubba Bolden looked much better this game than he has in the last 4 games, his tackling was much more sure & he played smart reading his keys. Amari Carter, Keontra Smith, Gurvan Hall & Frierson all played very well tonight too, they were fast & physical & didn't allow too many big break runs to take place after the catch.

Defensive tackling as whole looked much better this game, several guys made open field tackles to stop preceding gains. Amari Carter, Keontra Smith, Bubba Bolden, Gilbert Frierson, Quicy Roche, Jaelan Phillips & Gurvan Hall all had some really sound technique textbook open field wrap up tackles & got their man down without much struggle.

That was a terrific pick by Marcus Clarke! He did a good job of leveraging towards the boundary & reading the QB while tracking the ball on the overthrow & pushing up field off the outside shoulder to make the catch. Hopefully, he gets more opportunities to play for the rest of the season & next year, he & Couch can make for 2 good active Ballhawks in the secondary. they also add a much needed speed infusion into the CB group.

Defense played their best game since FSU, 13 TFL's from the DLine & held Duke to just 56 yards rushing at a stifling 1.7 yards per carry! We also forced them to just 5-15 on 3rd downs, literally 30% conversion. Obviously, we were the superior team with much better talent, but we still handled business & that speaks volumes to the type of team these guys have maturated into when teams all over the country are getting upset vs weaker opponents on a weakly basis. It shows the guys in this locker room are hungry for success & are willing to fight for it, we could've easily came out sluggish & not played well, but they came out with a fire lit under their asses & put the game away from the start, which is exactly how it's done when you're a good team.

S/O to Borregales on the 52yd FG, he's been a huge addition for us this year & a valuable asset. I really hope he comes back next year, I'm sure he'd get signed as an UDFA & could possibly be a 7th rounder as a Kicker, but he would be a great piece to return for next year.

Overall, this was a great win. We did exactly what we were supposed to do playing against a team that is significantly worse than us & dominated them. Miami despite missing 15 players out due to C19 (11 of them were at least 2nd team rotational depth) still was able to not have much rust at all from the time off after the postponement of the supposed to be GTech game. This was the perfect game to get back into a rhythm & get back in stride to be playing our best team ball for the final stretch of the season in these last 3 games.

DO NOT TAKE WINS FOR GRANTED. Look no further than yalls Wet dream Jesus in Wario Cristobal, losing @ home to an 0-3 Cal team when Oregon has the significant talent advantage. Wins vs D1 (P5 & G5) opponents are precious Gold in college football, they all count & they should all be celebrated, do not let any mopey fahget tell you any different. Don't believe me, just ask Michigan & LSU.

No it hasn't been perfect & we haven't played pristine every game, but as I said numerous times this year, good teams win ugly or pretty, the bottom line they win. Miami is not the bad team that mopes wish we were, aside from Clemson, we've found a way to win every game we've been in & have placed ourselves firmly within the top 3 of the ACC.

We're gearing up for a OK Corral style showdown with UNC, but as long as we continue to cause havoc upfront with DL & force turnovers we'll give UNC the rightful send off they deserve & put another pelt on the wall in the 2020 Revenge tour. Just keep trekking & keep winning, when it's all said & done we'll be looking at a 10-1 season with more recruiting momentum than we've had in a decade!

Go Canes!

Come on man, why you bringing up the marcus clarke pick, their has been a rumor going around that coach rumph db's don't look for the ball, but somehow they just keep getting these picks, must be of the "NO-LOOK pick" variety. Also have you heard that other rumor that was spreading like wildfire, because a certain db was told to play the short zone in punt coverage last year by the coaching staff but for some reason the overweight punter raised up and threw what seemed like a 50yrd bomb while they had kj Osborn back their trying to play safety, it was said mainly because of that by the non-football minds that this certain guy wasn't a good db as a sophmore, but all he's done this year is have blanket coverage against trevor lawrence and his receivers, scored a touchdown against clemson, got the game sealing pick against nc state basically shut his side of the field down yesterday, but since people still mad at a developing sophmore they don't want to give him his junior credit, lol, and they still mad at coach rumph for those boys choosing to go to the security & exchange commission conference, all couch did was get should've been the game winning pick against V-Tech, but the clown brigade don't count him as a db coached up by rumph.

Their was also this other rumor going around from the spring to the fall that we had no cb depth, the bootleg roster management brigade for some reason kept harping on this rumor, does anybody know if their is any Truth to these rumors!

Potentially getting close to that talent level, too
Let's calm it down a bit. Big difference between stomping out a RANKED Syracuse team, and demolishing the worst team in the conference. There was a lot to like about last night's win, but we also must be honest with ourselves. This team hasn't shown the ability to consistently give that kind of effort. I wouldn't be shocked to see this team come out flat against UNC. That has been the MO throughout the Diaz tenure, and while one can hope that Diaz and his staff have turned the corner, until we see that constant effort it's tough to believe that anything has changed.

Advertisement
Back