Off-Topic Military Intelligence Training

MidnightCane

When I was a kid, I could see things.
I guess this post is for current/former milper on this board.

If you were to join a branch of service to study military intel, which would it be and why?

What MOS would offer the most current and marketable skills once your mil commission is over?

Thanks for your time?
George C Scott America GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Advertisement

If you were to join a branch of service to study military intel, which would it be and why?

What MOS would offer the most current and marketable skills once your mil commission is over?

Thanks for your time?

I was in Special Forces, so there was no assumption of intelligence in me.

Do your own homework - what are you interested in? Lots of working alone - and there's the human intelligence end of it - which I'd think really has some different days and weeks with a stream of ever changing interesting tasks. That's humans for you - habits, eccentricities, spontaneous, and every aspect of human behavior gumming up an otherwise steady progression of problem solving.

And look at the different services. Good luck.

I was in Special Forces, so there was no assumption of intelligence in me.

Do your own homework - what are you interested in? Lots of working alone - and there's the human intelligence end of it - which I'd think really has some different days and weeks with a stream of ever changing interesting tasks. That's humans for you - habits, eccentricities, spontaneous, and every aspect of human behavior gumming up an otherwise steady progression of problem solving.

And look at the different services. Good luck.
Thanks for the feedback. Not for myself. It’s just some recon for my son.

Thanks for the feedback. Not for myself. It’s just some recon for my son.

I guess what I'm saying is there's HUMINT (Human Intelligence), SIGNIT (Signals Intelligence) , and other kinds - and if one like working alone then often one will prefer other than HUMINT jobs.

For enlisted men - even in the Army - there's human intelligence gathering - you do whatever to get things on this human - who is difficult to gather on as he alters his behavior a bit from day to day.

I did once have a gentleman I needed to know his habits better than HE knew his habits, as the purpose of the task was to be able to predict where he would go, and when he'd be there at a certain day. What made it difficult was he KNEW he would likely be followed, monitored, and otherwise observed - and he went to great lengths to intentionally change up his routine.

I studied every move, every day, times, locations - his backtracking this trail, circling back, just holding up in areas of no traffic to see if he was being followed. When I say I studied - I pored over every move, looking for a pattern.

Finally, one day I was hoping for a chance to ambush the following morning before sunrise - and I found his "tell." I can't even remember what it was not - but it was some kind of thrill figuring him out - and able to know where he would be before he'd made up HIS mind.

And bagged him.

Everyone has patterns. Same friends, same hangouts, same times of the day, same routes - and even when one tries to confuse the matter and preclude being anticipated - your backtracks, circling around, pullovers, and stunts - they themselves become a pattern.

That means lots of groundwork, field recon, observation point locations - and it's a real hoot when you bag your target.

For you - not for him!

Your son should take his time and figure out if he's more of a detail detective in more isolation - or does he like to help out-calculate an opponent which requires more interaction with others.

Thanks for your time?
Incredibly loaded question...

- Enlisted or Officer (doesn't matter in my opinion)
- HUMINT or SIGINT (Service makes a HUGE difference)
- Language learning??
- Are you planning to separate amd go 3-Letter org? CIA/DIA/NSA/etc...

Advertisement

Thanks for your time?
Depending on what he gets into ... there can be some scary *** assignments. I have nephew that enlisted in the US Army out of college and ended up in intelligence. He had a facility for languages and had dark hair. I couldn't believe it was him when we went to a Thanksgiving dinner in Illinois. He had shoulder length hair and full facial hair. He had spent approximately 18 months living under cover in a small Afghan mountain village. Alone ... no support group. Balls of steel. Returned to the US continued his education getting his pHd and is working in Virginia in an intelligence position. No idea what agency.

One more thing about those three-letter guys. You might get in - but you never seem to quite get out.

I'd gotten out - gone to the university - and three months before graduating - I got a call from a guy who introduced himself as Bob Bolan (right), and wanted to meet with me two months in advance at 2:30 at the so-and-do Hotel to talk about a career with the company.

I asked which - "THE Company." Which explained why everyone and their brother were being asked questions by the FBI about me. I met and he pulled out a folder on me almost five inches thick and told me there were three groups that wanted my to come work for them - commonly referred to as the Boys in the Basement.

Thank God, I'd just had my first child - my son - and it hit me he wanted me to do some of the same stuff I did before when I was single. I never did anything I wouldn't do again under dire circumstances NOT of my doing - but to do those things regularly - as my life work - not again. And they've gone a bit off the reservation lately.

There's a lot of work in every aspect of intelligence - in the corporate world too. To do over - I'd be learning Mandarin Chinese. That's a booming market -

Only comment I'll offer is to keep the high level security clearance requirement in mind if you want to end up at an Intell private sector contractor or a three letter agency long-term. Put another way, live a clean life as you'll be subjected to a Full Scope polygraph interview that will explore all aspects of your life, not just Counterintelligence scope questions.

It's not unheard of for a military member separating from a service and trying to return to the exact same job as a civilian to be rejected for employment. How could that be? Generally, civilian hires are subjected to a more rigorous clearance investigation than military members undergo. Especially with enlisted personnel, if the same rigor was applied, the military "washout" rate could be problematic.

Advertisement
Back