Mike Rumph

jmiller

Redshirt Freshman
Whats everyone's opinion of his coaching thus far? Wasn't a fan of hiring him but I feel like he's done a solid job so far.

Advertisement
CB were supposed to be our main issue on defense this year... We only returned Elder and had Redwine and brought in a graduate transfer that played Safety at Texas.
We only had one solid test and I'd argue Rumph did a really solid job. Our front 7 helps for sure, but let's give our Coaches some credit.

gotta recruit, he seems like a solid coach, if he can recruit top tier talent, it'll make him look even better

I told y'all he could coach....everybody got caught up that his divas from heritage are going elsewhere

Advertisement
I told y'all he could coach....everybody got caught up that his divas from heritage are going elsewhere
Exactly it's no secret his school has produced some of the top players in the country the last few years especially at db

One of the changes I noticed immediately is the improved tackling.

Overall, well done.

One of the better assistants. Our DBs are finally being taught proper technique, and how to find the ball in the air.

Hope he recruits well too. A+ hire so far. Let's see how this CB class shapes up.

Only gripe I have with the CB's is that they continue to play too soft of a coverage on 3rd down no matter who we are up against. They line up behind the first down marker and they let double moves push them back even further because their #1 priority is to not get beat deep, instead of disallow the first down. It's really only with Redwine/Colbert ...when it happens to Elder, he is ALWAYS almost hip to hip with the receiver and forces a tough catch. Redwine and Colbert are always within 2-3 yards and come up to make a solid tackle, but they are never in position to make a play on the ball in the air by batting it or making an INT attempt.

Again, don't know if they are coached to value getting beat (on 3rd down and long) over staying near the sticks, but it definitely seems like Redwine and Colbert plays extremely conservative in those situations EVERYTIME.

Advertisement
One of the better assistants. Our DBs are finally being taught proper technique, and how to find the ball in the air.

Hope he recruits well too. A+ hire so far. Let's see how this CB class shapes up.

Can't recruit well when all of our competition is saying "He was just a high school coach...do you really want to put your future in his hands?" . It will be interesting to see what the 2019 DB's are saying about Rumph. 2018 DB's are full of DB's with Green and Orange shades on so we could take our pick regardless, and we are almost full 2 years out. 2019 Will be the year to see if his recruiting improves with a 3 year resume of solid coaching.

We all know Elder is going to be drafted 3rd round at the latest...if Colbert ends up getting drafted (as a CB) he can definitely claim how much of a difference he made in 1 year of coaching.

he has done a great job with the players he has. Props to him.

ALOT and I mean ALOT of people need to eat crow on this one. The only person I am skeptical about his Redwine and he hasnt been that bad. But Colbert and Elder have been lights out. They virtually shut down Rudolph and Tate..Bobo Wilson had to fight for everything he got. They will have a BIG test this week against UNC who have 3 solid WRs. (Hollins/Switzer/Howard)

Good coach, his coaching ability should have never been attacked before any footage or proof that he sucked.

Weird times when Canes fans don't even give ex Canes the benefit of doubt.

Good job coaching.

That's what a good position coach does. Takes what he has and "coaches them up" regardless of the talent level or star system that was made up for $$$ purposes

Advertisement

ALOT and I mean ALOT of people need to eat crow on this one. The only person I am skeptical about his Redwine and he hasnt been that bad. But Colbert and Elder have been lights out. They virtually shut down Rudolph and Tate..Bobo Wilson had to fight for everything he got. They will have a BIG test this week against UNC who have 3 solid WRs. (Hollins/Switzer/Howard)

Colbert been mediocre at best man

The most physical group of cbs in the ACC and they do a great job of preventing deep balls.

Elder has REALLY stepped up his game so far. Easily playing like a 1st round talent. Didn't expect that at all. Props to Rumph.

Advertisement
Coachingwise he's done a great job. Corn is much a more complete player. He's getting solid performance from a journeyman type in Redwine.

I would love to see what he can do with speedy talent.

His recruiting however has been a FAIL.

Colbert been mediocre at best man

I will give him my "Ladarius Gunter" test...People didnt think LG was anything special either. But I use to always ask people..Do you ever remember a game where you left it saying.."Man, LG really made a fool of himself today. He looked bad."..

So I ask you the same of Adrian Colbert..Has there been a game this year where you said to yourself that he really didnt belong and you see why Charlie Strong let him go?

He is been BEYOND mediocre.

Only gripe I have with the CB's is that they continue to play too soft of a coverage on 3rd down no matter who we are up against. They line up behind the first down marker and they let double moves push them back even further because their #1 priority is to not get beat deep, instead of disallow the first down. It's really only with Redwine/Colbert ...when it happens to Elder, he is ALWAYS almost hip to hip with the receiver and forces a tough catch. Redwine and Colbert are always within 2-3 yards and come up to make a solid tackle, but they are never in position to make a play on the ball in the air by batting it or making an INT attempt.

Again, don't know if they are coached to value getting beat (on 3rd down and long) over staying near the sticks, but it definitely seems like Redwine and Colbert plays extremely conservative in those situations EVERYTIME.

That's a Manny issue, not Rumph.

Advertisement
Back