Mid-Season Awards

Pitcher in the Rye

3) Man's Law 2) God's Law 1) Mr. Murphy's Law
Freshman of the Year: Blake Cyr
Tied for second on the team in homers with 7. Also leads the team in RBI's with 30 despite having 21 fewer AB's than Yoyo, a presumptive top 15 pick in this year's draft.
Honorable Mention: Chris Scinta
Third in ERA and an absolute horse in getting the team out of sticky situations.

Best Transfer: Ben Chestnutt
Solid 3.71 ERA and has been useful plugging holes in the bullpen
Honorable Mention: Ian Farrow
His numbers have been solid, but he hasn't had the impact he could have due to limited playing time. Hopefully he can stay in the lineup as a regular and overtake Chestnutt.

Best Reliever: Andrew Walters
It's no secret he's the best pitcher on the team, but he's been used less than a VHS cassette this season so his impact has been limited.

Best Starter: Karson Ligon
The team's ace with a very impressive 1.09 WHIP

Most Improved: Alejandro Torres
His ERA has dropped from 7.13 last year to 3.32 and his WHIP from 1.25 to .94. He's been an opener, a closer and everything in between.

MVP: Collin Joseph Kayfus
First on the team in OPS and stolen bases. Tied for 2nd in hits and homers. Has 14 fewer K's than Yoyo in only 2 less AB's. Second among regulars in OBP. All of this plus a reliable glove and a walkoff to boot.
The good news: Levenson, Yoyo, and Cyr could all realistically overtake him by season's end.

Advertisement
Good List!

Not an award...and Ill probably jinx him. But if Rosario can start giving us a solid 5ish sometimes 6 innings every week then this team may just surprise us. If we can get 6 from all 3 starters on average its much less taxing on a thin pen.

A lot of big series left...and I'm doing it to myself again but maybe like I mentioned early on when there were concerns that teams with their backs against the wall with little expectations start to play with a "who gives an f" mentality. Mix that in with what looks like a fairly wide-open ACC other than 1-2 teams you never know what you are going to get. I'm still going to remain cautious esp with NC and VA coming up. But you have teams going out and looking red hot then losing 2/3 to bottom feeders who now all of the sudden are playing better. Stretch run is going to be interesting. Health of arms will be huge.

Good List!

Not an award...and Ill probably jinx him. But if Rosario can start giving us a solid 5ish sometimes 6 innings every week then this team may just surprise us. If we can get 6 from all 3 starters on average its much less taxing on a thin pen.

A lot of big series left...and I'm doing it to myself again but maybe like I mentioned early on when there were concerns that teams with their backs against the wall with little expectations start to play with a "who gives an f" mentality. Mix that in with what looks like a fairly wide-open ACC other than 1-2 teams you never know what you are going to get. I'm still going to remain cautious esp with NC and VA coming up. But you have teams going out and looking red hot then losing 2/3 to bottom feeders who now all of the sudden are playing better. Stretch run is going to be interesting. Health of arms will be huge.
Rosario's excellent start doesn't erase 2.5 seasons of bad pitching. The exception does not prove the rule. I think we'd all like to see him string together a few quality starts and keep his composure before we can say he's turned the corner. Also keep in mind that FSU is in a complete tailspin right now. They don't resemble a D1 team in any way, shape, or form. I can't remember ever seeing three starters go 8 innings in a row like that for UM or any D1 team for that matter. That's more a function of playing a collapsing lineup than it is superior pitching.

Rosario's excellent start doesn't erase 2.5 seasons of bad pitching. The exception does not prove the rule. I think we'd all like to see him string together a few quality starts and keep his composure before we can say he's turned the corner. Also keep in mind that FSU is in a complete tailspin right now. They don't resemble a D1 team in any way, shape, or form. I can't remember ever seeing three starters go 8 innings in a row like that for UM or any D1 team for that matter. That's more a function of playing a collapsing lineup than it is superior pitching.
Oh I totally agree. I didnt want to make it sound like I was making him all-conference. But he has had 3 solid outings (PSU, Dartmouth, and FSU...not murderers' row I get it). Wake Forest was only 4 innings and they went quick hook but he wasn't throwing badly. Then 3 very Rosario-like outings (UF, NC State, and VTech)

But If Ligon and Ziehl can maintain what they are doing and give us quality starts/chance to win almost every weekend, Rosario gives us even 5 innings and a chance to win that can only help us. I guess I am just getting optimistic again..its probably the fog of the bball season and seeing that the ACC is very solid top to bottom but a lot of weekends where we can play solid baseball and win 2.

I say all that and we could easily go out and lose our next 4 series. So who knows.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back