Miami's best performances of 1980s

Advertisement
There were a couple good games during the 83 season. FSU that year was another nail biter.

So many, many great games, but I have to go with the first NC. We played the "greatest team ever" in one heck of game. We got them down but they came back like a champ. But we did not fold and the whole thing repeated itself. Only thing missing was Kosar taking us down for last second FG if Cornhuskers had scored the two points. And best of all, I won huge that night from bets with NE fans that whole week.

Advertisement
The Gator game in 81 was pretty epic at the time. 55 yard FG to win it.

That was the day I discovered the Miami Hurricanes. Watched the game on a small black and white tv at my grandmother's house, through quite a bit of snow/static. They kept talking about Miami and Florida, and I couldn't figure out who the Dolphins were playing on Saturday. Finally with a little adjusting, I saw the Miami helmet had a U on the side, and I realized it wasn't the Dolphins, but ANOTHER Miami team I could pull for.

Mark Richt led that comeback drive as Kelly had gone out with an injury. Any win over Florida ranks high.

The Oklahoma games were epic. Broke Aikman's leg in one that made him transfer to the west coast. Boz chant in the OB. ****, those were biggest game of the year, #1 vs #2 to see who would play for a national championship type of games.

Advertisement
The Oklahoma game in 86. The **** talk from Miami before the game was epic, and they backed it up. Highsmith and Moss were stone cold. That team showed the attitude that's been missing for 12+ years.

Miami lost but the BC game with Flutie was amazing. Back and forth back and forth. Even the loss to Penn St where you knew you were with everyone in the country watching history. Championship games come and go and the only people who remember most of the time are the home state fans. The country remembered those Miami games.

***** *** domers in 1985....that game made me become a die hard fan....loved the domination

The Oklahoma game in 86. The **** talk from Miami before the game was epic, and they backed it up. Highsmith and Moss were stone cold. That team showed the attitude that's been missing for 12+ years.

One classic remark that came out of that game came in the days after when in an interview with Barry Switzer he said "I knew we were in for a fight when Their DE Stubbs walked over to me in pre game warm ups and said 'We're going to kick your a--' "

Advertisement
The question was best performance. The comeback at Michigan was epic but Miami didn't play four quarters of football there. I think the first championship game is a good choice. I firmly believe as Kosar did that if Nebtaska converts with 40 something seconds left we still score and win the game.

Good list.

I would add the 17-14 win over #1 Penn State at the OB in 1981. Except for Jim Kelly the team did not have had the overall talent Miami teams has a few years later, but the game was one of the performances that started the ball rolling, in my opinion.

PENN STATE UPSET BY MIAMI, 17-14 - NYTimes.com

I grew up in Tampa and casually followed UF, FSU, and Miami. This game made me a Cane fan.

Actually, didn't we also beat them with Kelly as a freshman in 1979, at their place? I think that was what started the ball rolling, but the game in 81 certainly showed 79 was no fluke. While Penn State wasn't ranked #1 in 79 when we faced them, they were still VERY talented, and Kelly was making his first start, on the road, in his home state.
Good list.

I would add the 17-14 win over [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] Penn State at the OB in 1981. Except for Jim Kelly the team did not have had the overall talent Miami teams has a few years later, but the game was one of the performances that started the ball rolling, in my opinion.

PENN STATE UPSET BY MIAMI, 17-14 - NYTimes.com

I grew up in Tampa and casually followed UF, FSU, and Miami. This game made me a Cane fan.

Advertisement
That was the day I discovered the Miami Hurricanes. Watched the game on a small black and white tv at my grandmother's house, through quite a bit of snow/static. They kept talking about Miami and Florida, and I couldn't figure out who the Dolphins were playing on Saturday. Finally with a little adjusting, I saw the Miami helmet had a U on the side, and I realized it wasn't the Dolphins, but ANOTHER Miami team I could pull for.

Mark Richt led that comeback drive as Kelly had gone out with an injury. Any win over Florida ranks high.

I agree..... I used to be a dolphin fan cause of pops, but I used to watch the hurricane games on a black and white TV also with the static.... Always thought it was the Dolphins, but when I saw that U on the side, it always put me in a better mood. Those teams back then, man!!!!!! Miami vs ND 85 and Miami vs Oklahoma in championship on black and white TV were the days!!!!!

I'd move the 88 FSU game up a bit. FSU was a preseason favorite to win the NC and they were stacked. We demolished them even though we lost a lot of talent from that 87 team.

Perhaps my favorite Cane game ever. If a team was EVER told to sit down and shut up, it was the 88 FSU team. That was a major beat down. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it 31-0 at the half?
I'd move the 88 FSU game up a bit. FSU was a preseason favorite to win the NC and they were stacked. We demolished them even though we lost a lot of talent from that 87 team.

Advertisement
Back