Miami V Clemson Flash forward

supacane

Senior

Finally had the stomach to chop this up. A few plays are missing. As bad as we played in the first half ,we gave the game away at the beginning of the 3rd qtr. We had multiple chances to cut the lead to 21-17 Including from a fumble in Clemson territory. The coaching in this game was absolutely terrible. Particularly on offense. I maintain there is not this big talent gap between us and Clemson, some players need to be benched Like McCloud and the two outside WR need their PT cut down. The defense played like i expected them to. Which was not great but it wasnt terrible. Also the dumb *** penalties, something drastic needs to be done about this. Miami has a coaching deficit whenever they step on the field against big time opponents, its been that way for 15 years and it continues. We have the players.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Finally had the stomach to chop this up. A few plays are missing. As bad as we played in the first half ,we gave the game away at the beginning of the 3rd qtr. We had multiple chances to cut the lead to 21-17 Including from a fumble in Clemson territory. The coaching in this game was absolutely terrible. Particularly on offense. I maintain there is not this big talent gap between us and Clemson, some players need to be benched Like McCloud and the two outside WR need their PT cut down. The defense played like i expected them to. Which was not great but it wasnt terrible. Also the dumb *** penalties, something drastic needs to be done about this. Miami has a coaching deficit whenever they step on the field against big time opponents, its been that way for 15 years and it continues. We have the players.
Agreed, with the game plan we went in with the corches seem incompetent. Starting drives with penalties, fumblinge, etc on offense.. Not being able to cover Etienne and no gameplan to cover him when the ball is going to him.. Playing Jennings at all.. Manny/Baker scheme needs to evolve.. **** is misaligned and seems to have been figured out, easily manipulated and outclassed..

We don’t have elite coaches, but we don’t have elite players either. We do have a few, but not enough on the depth chart to compete against the top 5. The real problem tho is that while we have a top 20 roster, we routinely lose to bottom 20 schools .
After 15 years of bad decisions, bad luck, and bad coaching, I'm waiting to be surprised.

I'll be surprised if we come out storming against Pitt and beat them.

But history... history is our guide.

We lose to them, our season is done.

We don’t have elite coaches, but we don’t have elite players either. We do have a few, but not enough on the depth chart to compete against the top 5. The real problem tho is that while we have a top 20 roster, we routinely lose to bottom 20 schools .
If we can only win with elite players we wont ever win. We will be back at this same discussion in 4 or 5 years. If UVA and WF can come up with blocking schemes to block Clemson front, that's coaching and nothing else. Also for u to actually fill your roster with elite players, u need to win some of these games. We dont have coaches who can come up with a game plan to baffle other elite coaches. Its either we out talent teams or we lose. That's a huge problem. Lane Kiffin gave Saban fits the same night we were losing to Clemson. There is a bigger talent gap there.

Advertisement
If we can only win with elite players we wont ever win. We will be back at this same discussion in 4 or 5 years. If UVA and WF can come up with blocking schemes to block Clemson front, that's coaching and nothing else. Also for u to actually fill your roster with elite players, u need to win some of these games. We dont have coaches who can come up with a game plan to baffle other elite coaches. Its either we out talent teams or we lose. That's a huge problem. Lane Kiffin gave Saban fits the same night we were losing to Clemson. There is a bigger talent gap there.

The ONLY teams that win are the handful with elite coaches, elite players AND coaching continuity.

The couple of examples you give are moral victories from two teams Virginia and Wake Forest who have had that continity and time to build the trenches with coaches that have been there several years. Yes talent matters on the O-line but I'd argue development matters more.

Right now it's Clemson, maybe Ohio State down the line and everyone else, including Bama who literally can't play defense anymore,

The rest of college football? Throw them in a bag and any team wirh Top 40 talent can beat any other on a given Saturday.

That's just reality.

It’s what we’ve been doing for 20 years. Out talent, or lose.

I’m not ready to give up on manny tho. He made the change on O that we all wanted, and jury is still out. Let’s see what he does w the D.

After 15 years of bad decisions, bad luck, and bad coaching, I'm waiting to be surprised.

Completely agree

Advertisement
I don't think Baker called a terrible game. But I think the offsides on Roche and the targeting on Amari (questionable but still) are the kinds of calls that fall on coaching in general. Offense got worked

My stance is we need to improve at OL (another year gets us there imo), a difference maker/go to WR (no solution in sight), a difference maker at CB (no solution in sight) and better LB play (the answer could be on the roster in Brooks, Huff, and Cave: TBD) away from Clemson right now.

Take away Lawrence and Etienne and that gap narrows tremendously depending on how god DJ is at QB for them going forward.

Thats just on-field.. coaching is still likely and issue. I’d like to see what happened if they lost Venables.

The real answer about whether this staff and group is right for the job/better comes Saturday.

We all know this, but this is the game we've lost over the past 15 years. I was incredibly disappointed in how we lost much more so than that we lost on Saturday night, because I really didn't expect to win. We were a 15.5 point underdog for a reason. But this game (Pitt) is a bigger test than Clemson, IMO. I'm not sure many staffs take this roster and beat Clemson up there. Should it have been closer? Absolutely, and again, HOW we lost was more disappointing than the result. But that being said, MANY staffs take this roster and beat Pitt at home. Just about any of them worth a **** do. And no matter who has been playing or coaching here the last 15 years, it's been very infrequent that we actually played well and handled business after a game like last week.

So we'll see. History tells us we struggle badly and possibly lose Saturday. If the staff and players really do have a different culture in place and they're actually competent coaches, we win by 2 scores.

The real answer about whether this staff and group is right for the job/better comes Saturday.

We all know this, but this is the game we've lost over the past 15 years. I was incredibly disappointed in how we lost much more so than that we lost on Saturday night, because I really didn't expect to win. We were a 15.5 point underdog for a reason. But this game (Pitt) is a bigger test than Clemson, IMO. I'm not sure many staffs take this roster and beat Clemson up there. Should it have been closer? Absolutely, and again, HOW we lost was more disappointing than the result. But that being said, MANY staffs take this roster and beat Pitt at home. Just about any of them worth a **** do. And no matter who has been playing or coaching here the last 15 years, it's been very infrequent that we actually played well and handled business after a game like last week.

So we'll see. History tells us we struggle badly and possibly lose Saturday. If the staff and players really do have a different culture in place and they're actually competent coaches, we win by 2 scores.
If they are actually good they rally from losing to Clemson and stomp Pitt handily at home and prove last week was an aberration.

Advertisement
agreed!

Miami will win on Saturn. But I don't think it will be the double-digit win most Cane fans expect to witness on Saturn high noon. But then again, I could be wrong. As usual. huh?

MOVE POPE TO THE SLOT! Split time with Harley
Starting X Receiver should be Wiggins Start Payton at Z

Advertisement
If they are actually good they rally from losing to Clemson and stomp Pitt handily at home and prove last week was an aberration.

Well that's not really what I meant. I don't think last week was an aberration. I think that's just a better football team than we are. NOW...again going back to what I said, we didn't play nearly our best game. They're better, they're coached better and they have a better overall team, and they forced us into not playing well in some regards. But the self-inflicted mistakes are just inexcusable and that's on us. So to me, maybe HOW we played was an aberration. But the result was not. If we played 20 weeks in a row, they probably win 18 or 19 times. They're just better than we are.

But Pitt is not. So go handle your business, as a good team and staff would.

Advertisement
Back