Miami @ UCF

scane

Redshirt Freshman
6:30 PM WVUM and UCFKnights.tv ($$)

We now enter the most road heavy stretch of the schedule with 8 of the next 12 away from home. A series against UVA is between the two road trips. If we somehow hang on, we should get Amditis and McMahon back shortly after.

Pleasantly surprised to see that Federman is starting tonight. I thought Mediavilla was just decent enough last Wednesday that Morris would hang on for another week. Mediavilla has seemed more effective out of the bullpen and it gives us a lefty reliever for the first time in a few years. That leaves Veliz and closer as the outstanding pitching issues for now. At this point I'd probably give Bartow another shot at being the closer.

Still not optimistic we have enough offensively to get anything tonight. Especially after UCF took two midweek games from the Gators last week.

UCF beat Bradley last night 6-5.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not surprised Federman is getting the start tonight. We can't afford to lose many more midweek games if we expect to have any kind of competitive RPI by the end of the season, and Mediavilla is just too inconsistent and can never seem to avoid that one meltdown inning.

We aren't good enough to overcome 3 - 4 run deficits going into the late innings.

Nice win vs quality team on the road. After a shaky start, they settled down and received some timely hits (mostly freshmen again) and the bullpen shut it down tonight. Federman with a very serviceable first start.

Advertisement
Really solid start from Federman. Two of the three UCF runs were the result of a routine flyout that Tackett dropped in the 2nd. UCF gave the two runs back later on balls booted by the shortstop and third basemen. The first should have been a double play and the second was a likely out at home. Quinones was slow enough to throw out at first anyway in both instances, so technically neither was a UCF error.

Hammond appears to be the new the closer. It was Bartow 6th and 7th, Cabezas 8th, and Hammond 9th. Nice to see Frankie have back to back successful multi-inning relief outings. He really struggled with those last year.

UCF had won 13 consecutive games prior to tonight, and the UCF announcer indicated that tonight's starter is regularly a weekend starter.
Somehow we've now won 5 of the last 7. Hopefully we can keep that going in Durham this weekend.

Last edited:
I was at the game tonight and Bartow had some serious pepper on his pitches. I would not expect to see Tackett in the lineup this weekend, terrible at bats. And Romy and Gil had big ***** to the RF track that would have left qith a little wind

Advertisement
As others have stated - good win, very much needed. Maybe a game like this one gets our guys to start to believe they can play with anyone. I know a win over UF earlier this season should have done that, but it looks like we've got some momentum now. I'm still not crazy about us having 10 strikeouts as a team, but I am encouraged by Federman's solid start, and by our bullpen not choking a lead away.

Also - I'm glad Hammond is falling into the closer role. He seems like a good kid, and he's been through a lot in his career with injuries and such. Glad to see him take the reins of the closer role. Glad to hear that Bartow looked good, too. If he could get his mojo from Freshman year back, he could start mowing down hitters in the 7th and 8th innings for us...would be a major shot in the arm.

Good win! Hopefully a turning point for the team. Let's get 2 from Duke! I'd say sweep but I don't want to be greedy 😄

Advertisement
Does anyone know if Romy has some sort of nagging injury? With Toral and Gil/Perez struggling defensively, I find it weird that our most versastile defensive player is DHing. Especially when he's competently played both first and third in the past.

Advertisement
Back