Miami still has the best DE'S in the ACC..

gacaneaddict

Junior
Losing Rousseau stinks. It really does. He was the best player on the team. He was our first First round projected DL in a long time.

With that said, the decision is made now, so we can move forward with the season.

If Greg was the best pass rusher in America coming back, Roche is widely considered the 2nd best.

Now we have Jaelen Phillips. He was the #1 recruit in 247 for a reason. He is hyper talented. He showed flashes his freshman year at UCLA.

He had that wrist injury, lost his love for football, quit working out. Now he got a new lease on his football life. He embraced Feely's workout plan.

He is 6'5 265 and ready to show his elite talent.

Football is an offensive game now. Miami's season success wasn't going to be dictated by Greg Rousseau getting 15 sacks this season. He had that last year and we went 6-7. We have to get alot better on offense to make the jump up to 9-10 wins. D' eriq King is much more valuable to this team. If he has a big season, Miami will be much better than last year.

Advertisement
you reachin ... gr15 and roche were proven commodities ... phillips has measurables on high school fame but hasn't done it yet ... harvey is potential ... and then we're youg af

Losing Rousseau stinks. It really does. He was the best player on the team. He was our first First round projected DL in a long time.

With that said, the decision is made now, so we can move forward with the season.

If Greg was the best pass rusher in America coming back, Roche is widely considered the 2nd best.

Now we have Jaelen Phillips. He was the #1 recruit in 247 for a reason. He is hyper talented. He showed flashes his freshman year at UCLA.

He had that wrist injury, lost his love for football, quit working out. Now he got a new lease on his football life. He embraced Feely's workout plan.

Football is an offensive game now. Miami's season success wasn't going to be dictated by Greg Rousseau getting 15 sacks this season. He had that last year and we went 6-7. We have to get alot better on offense to make the jump up to 9-10 wins. D' eriq King is much more valuable to this team. If he has a big season, Miami will be much better than last year.
You speak the truth! QB is the most important position on the field and it isn't even close.

With that said, losing Rousseau is an absolute bummer and the D just got worse.

I’m worried about depth. Roche is proven. Phillips is super talented but hasn’t played in a while. Harvey is also very talented but hasn’t played much. After that we have cam Williams and freshman.

Advertisement
This is the most veteran team, and the most athletic team Miami has had in awhile.

We have a projected 17 seniors and juniors starting. It's been a long time i think since we have had that kind of veteran ratio on the starting lineup.

Last edited:
Blissett will probably get some burn at end so we don’t have to send a ton of freshman out there. Unless chantz is ready to roll. Maybe Roberts also

you reachin ... gr15 and roche were proven commodities ... phillips has measurables on high school fame but hasn't done it yet ... harvey is potential ... and then we're youg af

This time last year, was GR15 a proven anything?
OP is pointing out we have some legit athletes (beyond just the proven Roche). And Philips had 3.5 sacks and 7 tackles for loss in limited snaps as a TF (along with that 5* pedigree). We don't have the best DEs in college football without GR15, and Clem$on and their pile of 5* DEs may ultimately be better than UM at the position this season, but we are still in the conversation for best DEs in the ACC.

Based off of your logic, one could argue that GR15 did his damage against some pretty weak competition. So, it kind of is what it is. Do I think he is a superstar talent? Absolutely, but following your own logic, one could question.

Advertisement
I’m worried about depth. Roche is proven. Phillips is super talented but hasn’t played in a while. Harvey is also very talented but hasn’t played much. After that we have cam Williams and freshman.
Jason Blissett will turn heads this season. Remember this post.

Can spin this 100 different ways and it won't change the fact that its nonsense. Losing your top player and top 10 pick hurts and it hurts bad.
Agreed. A player like Rousseau is the type of guy who makes the play(s) that subverts a bad loss to a lesser team or pushes you over the top against a more talented team like Clemson. He is going to be missed, we just don't know how much yet.

It don’t matter if he hadn’t played in a while or not. Greg rousseau misses his whole freshman year and still balled

Advertisement

Beside the wrist injury and love for the game issues, one of main issues with Philips in that past that sideline him was CONCUSSIONS! hopefully, he has had enough time to heal and its no a problem but we all know concussions tend to linger so we shall see

Losing Greg sucks but completely understandable ( and I can't say if I was in his shoes I wouldn't do the same thing ) but the OP isn't wrong . We still do have the best DE in the ACC and a few other guys who are studs. It is funny as 2 days ago I told my dad I bet Greg would opt out and I called it correct. Why mess with this crap when you are a lock to be a top 10 pick?

Can spin this 100 different ways and it won't change the fact that its nonsense. Losing your top player and top 10 pick hurts and it hurts bad.
While losing Rousseau hurts, OP is absolutely correct. Even without GR15, who in the ACC has a better overall set of DEs? Clemson just lost Xavier Thomas (opted out). I don't see any other ACC program that has better. We went from amazing, to really f'in good...and still better than any other school in the conference.

Advertisement
Any chance Joyner gets more burn at DE? He might have a better chance of cracking the DE rotation than he will at LB/Striker

This is the most veteran team, and the most athletic team Miami has had in awhile.

We have a projected 17 seniors and juniors starting. It's been a long time i think since we have had that kind of veteran ratio on the starting lineup.
I don't about that. Just look at the thread on the recruiting board discussing how many guys we need to lose to take a full class. It lists only 9 seniors on the roster.

These days you have to look at the two deep. All of those guys get significant burn. At critical positions, QB, CB, LB, OL, we don't have proven depth. We can't afford to lose anyone for injuries or covid.

I don't about that. Just look at the thread on the recruiting board discussing how many guys we need to lose to take a full class. It lists only 9 seniors on the roster.

These days you have to look at the two deep. All of those guys get significant burn. At critical positions, QB, CB, LB, OL, we don't have proven depth. We can't afford to lose anyone for injuries or covid.
QB-RS Senior/RS Junior
RB-Junior
TE-Junior Junior
WR-Senior
WR-Junior
WR-Junior
OL-Senior
OL-RS Sophmore
OL-RS Junior
OL-Junior
OL-Sophmore

by comparison last year opener we started:

QB-RS freshman
RB-Junior
TE-Sophomore
WR-Senior
WR-Junior
WR-junior
OL-Freshman
OL-Junior
OL-RS sophmore
OL-Sophmore
OL-RS Freshman

This years defense:

DE-RS Sophmore
DT-Senior
DT-Junior
DE-Senior
LB-RS Senior
LB-Sophmore
Striker-RS Sophmore
CB-Junior
CB-Junior
S-Junior
S-Senior

-that’s a veteran defense With 4 seniors and 4 juniors starting.

QB-RS Senior/RS Junior
RB-Junior
TE-Junior Junior
WR-Senior
WR-Junior
WR-Junior
OL-Senior
OL-RS Sophmore
OL-RS Junior
OL-Junior
OL-Sophmore

by comparison last year opener we started:

QB-RS freshman
RB-Junior
TE-Sophomore
WR-Senior
WR-Junior
WR-junior
OL-Freshman
OL-Junior
OL-RS sophmore
OL-Sophmore
OL-RS Freshman

This years defense:

DE-RS Sophmore
DT-Senior
DT-Junior
DE-Senior
LB-RS Senior
LB-Sophmore
Striker-RS Sophmore
CB-Junior
CB-Junior
S-Junior
S-Senior

-that’s a veteran defense With 4 seniors and 4 juniors starting.
Like I said, look at the two deep. If there's a year we need it, it's this year.

Advertisement
Back