Miami offers Rivals100 DT Darrion Daniels

Andymiles

Recruit
Dallas (Texas) Bishop Dunne Rivals100 defensive tackle Darrion Daniels continues to see the offers mount, with three more big time offers being placed on the table in the last week.

"LSU offered I think it was Saturday and Monday and Tuesday it was Miami and then Wisconsin," Daniels said.

"I knew LSU had some type of interest in me. I just didn't know they were offering. When they offered I knew that was a huge step," Daniels said. "They're always a good team and they're a fast team. They're very athletic and I think they're a good fit."

The second offer, Daniels had a feeling might be coming soon.

"Me and coach Franklin hit it off pretty well on our first phone call. I really want to go out there and meet him and see the campus," Daniels said. "I think the team has potential to be better. I've seen some of the recruits they have coming in and I think they should be pretty good."

Daniels admits he has not had much of a chance to research Wisconsin at this point.

Since the Rivals Camp Series in Dallas, Daniels has visited Oklahoma State and returned to Baylor. He does not have any visits scheduled at this moment, but he does have a few he would like to take.

"I really want to go check out Miami," Daniels said. "I really want to go checkout Arizona State. And I also want to check out Texas Tech."

The standout defensive tackle is also not ready to name any leaders, but he does list Miami, Texas, Texas Tech, Iowa, Oklahoma State, and Arizona State as the schools showing strong interest. He also has a few coaches he feels he has established a strong bond.

"Yes sir, I like coach Strong from UT," Daniels said. "I like coach Montgomery from OU. Coach Duffie from OSU. Me and coach Shipp we're pretty cool. Coach Franklin from Miami. Coach Woods from Iowa."

When it comes to narrowing his list, he wants to take a few more visits before he starts to make those kinds of decisions, but he does have an idea about when he would like to narrow his list and when he would like to make his decision.

"I think I want to announce my top five about the fourth or fifth game of the season, and decide around early December around my birthday," Daniels said.

Advertisement
Interesting article on 2015 NT Daniels

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2014/4/17/5559546/darrion-daniels-scouting-report-football-recruiting-2015-baylor-bears

Darrion Daniels scouting report: Defensive tackle in need of*development
By Wescott Eberts Apr 17, 2014

The Dallas Bishop Dunne product is one of the top defensive tackles in the state of Texas.

There are few interior linemen more highly sought after than Darrion Daniels, who sports a quite impressive offer sheet early on in the process.

Daniels attends Dallas (Texas) Bishop Dunne Catholic School and is projected to play defensive tackle at the next level. He is listed at 6'3.5 and weighs in at 290 pounds.

Daniels is considered a four-star recruit by Rivals and Scout, but is thought of as a three-star recruit by 247Sports and ESPN. Rivals is highest on him, ranking him as the 10th-best defensive tackle in the nation. The 247Sports Composite, which aggregates the ratings of all four major recruiting services, rates him as a four-star recruit, ranking him as the 18th-best defensive tackle in the nation and the 30th-best player in the state of Texas.

Daniels claims offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Texas, Arizona State, Louisville, Iowa, Ohio State and Oklahoma State, among others.

Unfortunately, the only film available on Daniels is from his sophomore season, so it's difficult to know how much he improved during his junior campaign.

Pad level was often an issue for Daniels, as he had a tenancy to stand up when coming off the ball as a sophomore, a typical problem for high school defensive tackles. There are also times when Daniels didn't bring his hands with him at all when attacking an opposing offensive lineman. In the instances where he did, he demonstrated a powerful punch that suggests some upper body strength.

The probable reason for his three-star ranking by several of the services is likely his lack of first-step explosiveness. While the Bishop Dunne product is a solid athlete for his size and for his position, it's hard to project him as a disruptive defensive tackle at the next level because the short-area quickness isn't apparent from his film. Rather, Daniels looks like a player who will have to learn to plug gaps and hold up at the point of attack.

However, when he did bring his hands, had proper pad level, and drove his legs, his bull rush was effective, a suggestion of his upside when he refines the technical aspects of his game.

Advertisement
Back