Miami offer surprised 2018 safety Randy Russell

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
IMG_0126.jpg

A trio of Miami coaches stopped by William H. Turner Tech High School today. If you haven't heard of any prospects coming from there, it's because they don't have a football team -- but it is home to 2018 safety Randy Russell, who plays his football at Carol City.

Even with an absolutely loaded class of defensive backs for next year's recruiting cycle in south Florida, Miami has decided to get in on Russell early in the process. The safety, who a Carol City coach described to CanesInSight as a "heat-seeking missile", was offered today by Hurricanes coaches Manny Diaz, Mike Rumph, and Ephraim Banda.

"I wasn't expecting it at all and I wasn't expecting them to come to the school either," Russell said. "I've been watching them since I was little and I watch them every week."

"It means a lot because it means that they've been watching my film and took the time to do that."

As seen on his junior season highlights, Russell plays a physical brand of football and his versatility is something that coaches love.

[TWEET]811558534462795776[/TWEET]

"I can play any role on a defense. I can play free safety, nickel, in the box, linebacker, or even as an edge rusher," he said.

Russell said that he wants to make his decision before the start or his senior season -- so look for Miami to try and get an early commitment from him. Florida also recently offered him and West Virginia and UNC offered during the season. Louisville and South Carolina also interest Russell.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Kid can HIT ... and not recklessly. I like what I saw on his tape. Definitely a take

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think he'd make a solid FS. Could move to corner. Definitely has some ability. If we get a lot of these blue chip guys next class, I'd still like to take this kid to red-shirt him or at least have him on special teams his frosh year.

Headhunter that ran HS track first time this year. Also played top quality competition throughout his CC career. Recorded a 200m in 22.72. This run into a -2.6 mps head wind. Calculated to a 22.47--200m in a calm environment. National elite 22.00. Since first year running track in HS will probably meet this standard this spring.

Randy Russell 200m 22.72 (-2.6mps/5.9mph) FL Miami Carol City Sr Mar 09 2016 GMAC North Qualifier

Nike measurables in HUDL film are from a year ago.

Randy Russell - Hudl

Advertisement
Another Brick in the Wall

I can see why Manny wants him. Plays very physical, exceptional at run support. Not a cover safety.

Beast. A kid that played with that optomist group of Nayquan wright an company. You will have to make business decisions with him..but he can run pretty good and is very battle tested. No problem locking him in as a locked commitment and shoot your wad woth the Gurvan Halls of the world..

Beast. A kid that played with that optomist group of Nayquan wright an company. You will have to make business decisions with him..but he can run pretty good and is very battle tested. No problem locking him in as a locked commitment and shoot your wad woth the Gurvan Halls of the world..

**** right Prop Joe, that's what I said about him earlier. Kid has always played on LOADED squads but always made a name for himself. He'll never be as good of a pass defender as he is against the run(he's ELITE there) but the cupboard definitely isn't bare. He has enough speed and hip fluidity to be a more than serviceable pass defender. His pops is a pretty big dude so he should grow some more. Will LB is not entirely out of the question. Either way he's a helluva ballplayer that would certainly make waves with the split U strapped on his noggin...

he sure fits the mold of what Diaz wants on his defense . When he locates the ball it's like he's shot out of a cannon . May not have the recognition as others right now but he will . I love that hard hitting take your *** out mentality . Those are the kind that puts us on top again .

Advertisement
Back