Miami Central WR Seymore first on board for 2023, commits to UM

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Miami Central (FL) WR Lamar Seymore became UM’s first commitment in the class of 2023 when he pledged to the Miami Hurricanes’ staff last night.

“I was on the phone with Manny Diaz, coach (Stephen) Field, coach (Rhett) Lashlee, coach (Rob) Likens, and coach (Pop) Cooney,” Seymore said. “They were very excited that I made my decision. I knew that’s where I wanted to be, I wanted to stay home.”

The 6-0 170 pound prospect was officially offered by UM just before his freshman season began for the Rockets after he impressed the staff at a Manny Diaz summer camp event on campus this past June. Making a decision on a school so early is rare to see, and often times does not pan out, but Lamar hopes to take the path that his older brother and teammate Laurence Seymore did.

A 2021 OL commitment for the Canes, Laurence also committed his freshman year of high school back in March of 2018, and has stuck with that pledge for over two years now. Lamar admitted his brother played a huge role in his ultimate decision to commit to UM, and the relationships he’s built with Miami over the years began with the recruitment of Laurence.

“He wanted me to play with him again like it’s been in high school. He was a big influence on me (committing to Miami),” Lamar said of his brother Laurence. “Before [Miami] even gave me the offer, I used to go with him to UM. They used to show a lot of love to both of us before they even knew I would be a player they were interested in. Then when I got the offer, they were already like family.”

Laurence has taken visits this spring to South Carolina and Tennessee, but now with both brothers on board at Miami, Lamar has no doubt that Laurence will end up at Miami.

“I don’t see him going anywhere else, all he talks about is Miami,” Lamar said of Laurence. “I think he’s even more locked in now (that I’m committed).”

Despite his ties with the Miami staff going back to when he was in middle school, Lamar’s newest relationship is with his position coach, Rob Likens, who was UM’s most recent hire back in early February.

“It’s good so far,” Seymore said of his bond with Likens. “I’m just starting to get to know him, but I can see our relationship going further.”

Of course, Miami is bringing in a new offensive scheme to the program in 2020, and Seymore feels he will be able to fit right in.

“They know I can get open and make plays. They want to show me more once this virus is over, bring me to the campus and go over the offense,” Seymore said. “I’m sure I’ll be comfortable with it because at Miami Central we run the spread most of the time.”

Still, being so far away from signing day, things can always change for a recruit, and similar to his brother, Lamar says he will still talk to other coaches and take visits; Tennessee and Coastal Carolina are his other early offers.

However, no matter what, Lamar said Miami’s performance on the field is not important to him and bad seasons won’t be what dissuades him from his commitment.

“That doesn’t affect me,” Seymore said. “I know that school holds a lot of weight, so I’m ready to go over there and break some records.”

As a freshman playing on varsity at a football powerhouse like Miami Central, Seymore posted 17 catches for 215 yards and a TD in his first season of high school ball in 2019.

“If the ball is near me, I’m going to catch it,” Seymore said. “I’m working on my route running and getting more separation this offseason.”

Ultimately, what are Seymore’s goals as Hurricane?

“I just want to become a better player and show people that I’m a true Hurricane, that I can play at that level, and try to make it to the NFL.”

Advertisement
This is great hopefully both of them stick it out ,When is the last time we had a duo of bothers play for the canes ??

Advertisement
Advertisement
Weaver Brothers early 2000s
My gosh, could those two run. It was a tough transition for them having to add weight and learn stand up LB positions, but watching Jarell run down on kick coverage was something else. We were also unbelievably loaded at LB during his time here.

Advertisement
Back