Miami athletics returns to Nike in record-setting deal

Sebastian Font
3 min read

Comments (883)

Sorry if I missed it but...can someone explain what Miami is allowed to with that money? Staff salaries, better facilities - I assume that. But can it pay players?
 
there is most favored nation with ACC and in state of florida- if they get bumped, we get bumped.

but certainly sec and big ten team will surpass, thats what always happens in this area, - its the deal of the moment- but at least we have escalators in this one now
Most favored nation clause that looks at UNC/UF/FSU/Clemson... Okay but does UNC/UF even count on that given they're jordan brand? Also UNC/Clemson may not even matter given their contract expires AFTER the ACC is likely to already be dead (or us gone min) anyways... And FSUs expires 2 yrs after ours, so they're gunna re-up with Nike but given the state of their program, how likely is it they'd get even what we got anyways?....

That Seems like the type of thing that feels like it means something but doesn't actually.... Had it been most favored in a bigger pond, maybe it would. Or most favored IN THE CONFERENCE we are member of, rather than naming the ACC explicitly....
 
Nike needed us more than we need then.
 


Same aav as Ole Miss

If that's what Adidas is paying Ole Miss, why wouldn't they have offered us a 7yr $22-$25M/yr deal to beat Nikes offer and keep what should have been their core partner tbh. Given Adidas "strategy" and hold in latin american markets...

But like Comcast and all other companies, better deals for new customers than existing. Just gotta be willing to switch.
 
Which makes no sense why UM wouldn’t have been matched by Adidas lol Ole Miss has ZERO national branding. It’s the worst state and poorest state in the US.

Adidas is going the UA route & it’s going to backfire. They r trying to do things their allocations doesn’t allow.

Regardless of how I feel about TAMU, TAMU moves weight. U don’t spend $20m/yr on an Ole Miss (& I’m really interested to see the hidden language in their contract to allow Adidas to escape certain obligations), you reserve that type of capital for a TAMU or even Louisville.

This sets a bad precedence for them.
 


Same aav as Ole Miss

If that's what Adidas is paying Ole Miss, why wouldn't they have offered us a 7yr $22-$25M/yr deal to beat Nikes offer and keep what should have been their core partner tbh. Given Adidas "strategy" and hold in latin american markets...

But like Comcast and all other companies, better deals for new customers than existing. Just gotta be willing to switch.
I agree. Unless the cash aspect is so significant, I just don’t understand. Everything was lined up to be extended by Adidas. Penn State, Tenn, Ole Miss. all overrated brands in my book and all looking to have a downturn in football.
 
I agree. Unless the cash aspect is so significant, I just don’t understand. Everything was lined up to be extended by Adidas. Penn State, Tenn, Ole Miss. all overrated brands in my book and all looking to have a downturn in football.
Plus not even a long-term deal at only 7yrs...
 
Adidas is going the UA route & it’s going to backfire. They r trying to do things their allocations doesn’t allow.

Regardless of how I feel about TAMU, TAMU moves weight. U don’t spend $20m/yr on an Ole Miss (& I’m really interested to see the hidden language in their contract to allow Adidas to escape certain obligations), you reserve that type of capital for a TAMU or even Louisville.

This sets a bad precedence for them.
Off topic, but how much of a needle mover are the new CC22 shoes for Nike in reversing their stock trends?
 
Back
Top