Miami after 8 Games - Historic Look Back Over The Last 25 Seasons

GojiraCane

All ACC
We're now about to enter the home stretch of the season with eight games in the record book. So how do the 2020 Hurricanes compare against teams past? Let's have a quick look:

Record: This is the only the 5th time that Miami has started out 7-1. The previous four examples yielded records of 11-1 (2000), 11-2 (2003), 9-3 (2004), and 9-4 (2013)
Points For: This is the 7th highest scoring Canes team over eight games in the last 25 seasons, and the 2nd highest in the last 16 seasons
Point Allowed: Defensively only three other teams have allowed more points

1605393633084.png

However, let's isolate down to years where Miami played only Power 5 or Group of 5 opponents in its first eight games. That narrows the scope down considerably to just seven teams. When doing so this year's squad has scored the highest of those teams (although by only four points versus the 2003 and 2004 squads). Defensively it's second worst, although the gap now between the 2020 Canes and the 2009 squad is not that great.

1605393830661.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
24.4 ppg in '09 vs " D1" ranked 46th in the country.
24.8 vs FBS (1-A) in 2020 ranks 39th.

On the other hand, 2020 offensive numbers are inflated as well.

We're now about to enter the home stretch of the season with eight games in the record book. So how do the 2020 Hurricanes compare against teams past? Let's have a quick look:

Record: This is the only the 5th time that Miami has started out 7-1. The previous four examples yielded records of 11-1 (2000), 11-3(2003), 9-4 (2004), and 9-4 (2013)
Points For: This is the 7th highest scoring Canes team over eight games in the last 25 seasons, and the 2nd highest in the last 16 seasons
Point Allowed: Defensively only three other teams have allowed more points

View attachment 135652

However, let's isolate down to years where Miami played only Power 5 or Group of 5 opponents in its first eight games. That narrows the scope down considerably to just seven teams. When doing so this year's squad has scored the highest of those teams (although by only four points versus the 2003 and 2004 squads). Defensively it's second worst, although the gap now between the 2020 Canes and the 2009 squad is not that great.

View attachment 135653
Very interesting. My greatest concern coming into this season was the defense, specifically Blake Baker. I was worried that Baker could be bad enough to ruin what could be an otherwise promising season. What we have seen so far this year has confirmed what I had suspected about Baker. That is that he is not a Miami caliber DC plain and simple. Amazingly, Baker's shortcomings have not derailed our season. To me that speaks volumes to the type of character we have on this football team. This team does not quit and for all of their faults, they never throw in the towel and always keep competing. That one quality is the most important and with that in place there is the potential to build something here. I honestly believe that D'erique King and the calm confidence that he brings has metastasized throughout the entire locker room and that is a good thing. I really do hope that King comes back next year. With another recruiting class and a full off season, King and this team could accomplish something great. Not an NC but we could lay the foundation for one in the future.

Advertisement
Corrections: 2003 we went 11-2, 2004 9-3, and we also went 9- in 2005 with that 40-3 whooping in the Peach Bowl with a bunch of guys injured.

Advertisement
Back