Miami after 2 Games - Historic Look Back Over The Last 25 Seasons

GojiraCane

All ACC
Very early, but some brief stats after two games:

- 2020 is tied for the fifth most points allowed in two games over the last 25 seasons
- While an improvement over last year, we're actually behind the pace of all of Mark Richt's teams in regards to points scored
- I fully expect that by Week 6, the offense will rank much higher versus many other teams in points scored. Barring injuries, we should really pull ahead in the second half of the season

1600831299426.png

EDIT: Same list, but isolated to years where we played only Power 5 and Group of 5 opponents in the first two games.

Done in this fashion, this is the most points scored since the 2003 season.

1600877429969.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
How many of those other seasons have we played at least a G5 school and a P5 school in those first 2 games, though? Last year we did, yes, but that's not typical. Usually a cupcake fbs school in there to load stats on.
That’s absolutely the case, which is why I think it will take until after mid season before we begin to really surge above other seasons in Points Allowed.

Advertisement
Well, we've also given up the same amount of points as the 2000 team and they did ok. As others mentioned, Richt had at least 1 cupcake in the first 2 games every year so the #s are meaningless
Better comparisons would be against 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2019 seasons. Each of those seasons saw Miami face a Group of 5 and Power 5 opponent in their first two games.

While the stats are skewed to the competition as discussed, any reasonable person would think this D would take a big step back (at least early on) after losing Shaq, Pinckney, Bandy and recently Rousseau.

Frontloaded competition in the schedule against a very inexperienced LB corps really isn't helping much.

Last edited:
Same list, but isolated to years where we played only Power 5 and Group of 5 opponents in the first two games.

Done in this fashion, this is the most points scored since the 2003 season.

1600865870980.png

Last edited:
Simplify the scheme like we did on offense. Proper alignment would help a bunch too.

Advertisement
Well, we've also given up the same amount of points as the 2000 team and they did ok. As others mentioned, Richt had at least 1 cupcake in the first 2 games every year so the #s are meaningless
"Well, we've also given up the same amount of points as the 2000 team and they did ok." That is what I picked as the deciding factor and stopped there. So NEXT year we win it all! Please do not rain on my parade. I am trying to be optimistic for one day.

Advertisement
FAMU (70 points), Bethune (41 points) and Savannah State (77 points) in Mark's 3 season as either game 1 or game 2. LoL.

Advertisement
Back