Maybe High Profile Coaches Wasn't That Interested

252cane

All-ACC
Posters around here keep talking about lazy hires and not doing a extensive search but maybe coaches wasn't interested. I made a thread earlier about why it doesn't seem to be much interest out there for this job after hearing a lot of coaches are interested, but i know why.

Korn ferry may have been used to reach out to these agents to gauge their interest. Espn reported today usc talked to several coaches or their representatives, including jimbo and nobody knew that before today.

Miami is not viewed as a elite job and that is the facts. You are not hearing about big time coaches having interest in this job.

A lot of you don't think it matters that much but with the reputation the admin has for not caring about football, the lack of facilities, and lack of fan support hurts the program.

It's going to take a change in the admin to elevate the program again. They are going to have to show they are committed to having a top program. That means spending the money for a coaching staff and aggressively trying to upgrade facilities and maybe get a stadium.

Advertisement
Your post is actually spot on mostly. I was told not to get my hopes up by someone who'd know and **** me if I didn't listen. We need to invest in the program financially in a big way is what I was told as times have changed and Miami is just another name to most recruits.

The first thing that turns Miami into an elite job is salary. The recruiting base and NC history is known. Start paying in the Top 10, and the job becomes much more attractive. Start developing more players as high (not late) in the NFL picks and the program becomes much more attractive to recruits.

I am of the opinion the stadium is much less of a problem than some think.

The program needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Everyone need to do their part, from the admin down to the fans.

Whether it's Butch or not, we will be in this position again one day and the job needs to be more appealing.

Advertisement
The stadium itself isn't so much the problem or even the location. The game day atmosphere would be the biggest negative and I mean for those in the stands, not tailgating. Those who say a half empty stadium doesn't matter to recruits is kidding themselves. Recruits are different these days, wanting all the bells and whistles with stadiums full of pumped up fans. Old Canes used to love playing on the road giving it to their opponent....basically shutting the home crowd up and then out of the stadium.

Wonder how much the fan base and lack of fan support/attendance factored into any coach's decision about Miami. Butch endured some torture and knows what he is in for. Others may not have wanted to deal with it.

How about USC hiring within, and VT hiring Memphis guy. Maybe the guys on the potential block just aren't that attractive. Seems as though the top programs didn't land a "big fish". Butch if hired is a big fish.

How about USC hiring within, and VT hiring Memphis guy. Maybe the guys on the potential block just aren't that attractive. Seems as though the top programs didn't land a "big fish". Butch if hired is a big fish.

Most programs don't get their top choice or a "****" coach. Uf thought they were going to get a huge name and they got mcelwain. Texas top choice was saban and him and about four other coaches turned them down and they got strong.

Michigan is one of the few that had a big name coach as their top target and actually got him.

Advertisement
Coaches were interested.

But because none are without flaw, this chicken**** administration chose the easy route.

At least with this hire, when it doesn't work out, the admin will tell the fans they hired who you wanted.

Coaches were interested.

But because none are without flaw, this chicken**** administration chose the easy route.

At least with this hire, when it doesn't work out, the admin will tell the fans they hired who you wanted.

What coaches were interested that would have made the fan base happy?

Coaches were interested.

You said "coaches were interested". I never knew that you and the other dreamers wanted "coaches". You wanted top notch coaches. Elite coaches the like of Patterson, Briles and Chip Kelly. I dare you to show a shred of evidence to support your claim that any of those names showed interest in Miami job.

Now if you are talking about up and coming hot coach like Herman, he is not really proven in the big league. Many disagree that he is an elite, big time coach.

Advertisement
Coaches were interested.

IMO, the AD is not supposed to hire a coach to make fans happy. They hire a coach to win. And when elite, proven coaches aren't beating down your door for the job, then the evaluation requires "context".

There are coaches who can win at Miami who have interest. But our AD didn't want to risk the hire, in case they didn't.

Meanwhile ... We're hiring a guy based on what he did 15 years ago. And completely absolving him of anything that has happened in the past 10 years. That's a lazy approach to take, IMO.

This is what I posted in another thread:
Some of our fans have just a little difficulty getting in touch with reality. They believe that not only we can outbid other schools for the best coaches (not necessarily the available ones, mind you) but also we can offer a lot more for those big time (unavailable) coaches, much more than tradition and location.

Reality check: The only thing Miami can offer is history of 5 NC and fertile recruiting grounds. We are not going to outbid or outspend any of those schools. We are not going to give better facilities, better stadium or better fans.

I am not a fan of our AD, but I honesty believe that there was a collective effort to reach out to every interested big name in coaching. My feeling is, none of those big names mentioned by fans on the board showed real interest.

Advertisement
Coaches were interested.

You said "coaches were interested". I never knew that you and the other dreamers wanted "coaches". You wanted top notch coaches. Elite coaches the like of Patterson, Briles and Chip Kelly. I dare you to show a shred of evidence to support your claim that any of those names showed interest in Miami job.

Now if you are talking about up and coming hot coach like Herman, he is not really proven in the big league. Many wdisagree that he is an elite, big time coach.

Mark Dantonio was a .500 coach at Cincinnati, before becoming elite at Michigan State.

Les Miles was 28-21 at Oklahoma State and .500 in the Big 12 before going to LSU.

There are guys like that available and interested in Miami.

Coaches were interested.

IMO, the AD is not supposed to hire a coach to make fans happy. They hire a coach to win. And when elite, proven coaches aren't beating down your door for the job, then the evaluation requires "context".

There are coaches who can win at Miami who have interest. But our AD didn't want to risk the hire, in case they didn't.

Meanwhile ... We're hiring a guy based on what he did 15 years ago. And completely absolving him of anything that has happened in the past 10 years. That's a lazy approach to take, IMO.

This program is in a position where a huge risk will bury this program. Butch is a good coach, he is not elite but does some things at an elite level. I also agree that you shouldn't make a hire to make fans happy but i'm saying fans are going to be mad regardless of who the coach was or is.

Another thing you talk about these other coaches with possible interest but everybody can't handle miami.

Coaches were interested.

Now if you are talking about up and coming hot coach like Herman, he is not really proven in the big league. Many wdisagree that he is an elite, big time coach.

Mark Dantonio was a .500 coach at Cincinnati, before becoming elite at Michigan State.

Les Miles was 28-21 at Oklahoma State and .500 in the Big 12 before going to LSU.

There are guys like that available and interested in Miami.

i'm guessing james and the bot didn't want to take that kind of risk again, seeing as how al golden was that kind of coach at temple.

Advertisement
Back