Matthew cleveland's strengths

CANEFAN83

Sophomore
Can Matt Cleveland drive to the hoop as efficiently as Jordan Miller? Or is he more of just a jump shooter? I haven't seen him play or paid enough attention to fsu's games to know. Jordan Miller could score from either hand on drives so it will be very hard to replace Miller right away.

I think we got a good pickup with Cleveland just was inquiring.

Advertisement
Can Matt Cleveland drive to the hoop as efficiently as Jordan Miller? Or is he more of just a jump shooter? I haven't seen him play or paid enough attention to fsu's games to know. Jordan Miller could score from either hand on drives so it will be very hard to replace Miller right away.

I think we got a good pickup with Cleveland just was inquiring.
Similar to Miller in that he prefers to only dribble 2-3 times so he’s best attacking the rim from the wing. Matt is a superior athlete and jumps like Wooga. I won’t rehash my earlier comments about him but he attacks the rim well. What he does not have relative to Miller is the diverse offensive game with all kinds of mid-range shots and a willingness to shoot 3 pointers. But that is precisely why Matt came to UM to develop into a player like Miller. So honestly, his upside is higher because of the superior athleticism, but it remains to be seen whether he will have the confidence and develop all the aspects of the game that made Miller invaluable in the 1/2 court.
Miller was so good when he left UM that sometimes I have to remind myself that the Jordan Miller we saw last season was much better than the Jordan Miller who transferred to UM. The development at UM is real.

Similar to Cleveland in that he prefers to only dribble 2-3 times so he’s best attacking the rim from the wing. Matt is a superior athlete and jumps like Wooga. I won’t rehash my earlier comments about him but he attacks the rim well. What he does not have relative the Miller is the diverse offensive game with all kinds of mid-range shots and a willingness to shoot 3 pointers. But that is precisely why Matt came ot UM to develop into a player like Miller. So honestly, his upside is higher because of the superior athleticism, but it remains to be seen whether he will have the confidence and develop all the aspects of the game that made Miller invaluable in the 1/2 court.
Miller was so good when he left UM that sometimes I have to remind myself that the Jordan Miller we saw last season was much better than the Jordan Miller who transferred to UM. The development at UM is real.
How does Cleveland project as a defender, not just compared to Miller but in general?

Also, does he prefer to play uptempo basketball or a slower pace? This team I think is built to run, when necessary at least.

How does Cleveland project as a defender, not just compared to Miller but in general?

Also, does he prefer to play uptempo basketball or a slower pace? This team I think is built to run, when necessary at least.
Cleveland is best in the open court and if we press, whether full court or half court. He plays the passing lanes very well with his combo of speed and length. And he is a very good finisher at the rim. Those traits fit perfectly with what UM should be able to do next year. A lineup with Cleveland, Bentley and Wooga should really get up and down the court.
What Matt needs to work on and why I think UM is a perfect choice for him to reach the NBA is the 1/2 court game. Decision making and jump shooting.

He was one of those kids in high school and AAU who was such a good athlete that while he certainly practiced his shooting, he could score 20 without even taking a 3 pointer.

Cleveland is best in the open court and if we press, whether full court or half court. He plays the passing lanes very well with his combo of speed and length. And he is a very good finisher at the rim. Those traits fit perfectly with what UM should be able to do next year. A lineup with Cleveland, Bentley and Wooga should really get up and down the court.
What Matt needs to work on and why I think UM is a perfect choice for him to reach the NBA is the 1/2 court game. Decision making and jump shooting.

He was one of those kids in high school and AAU who was such a good athlete that while he certainly practiced his shooting, he could score 20 without even taking a 3 pointer.

As you say, it’s really a perfect fit both ways for UM and Cleveland. Although our defensive metrics haven’t been great the last two years, we have been pretty elite at pressuring the ball, playing the passing lanes, and turning defense into offense. Perfect fit in that regard.

And of course I agree 1000% with your assessment of how L can help Cleveland develop in the half court. If/when that happens, watch out. I do expect Cleveland to have some struggles offensively in part because he’s not used to our offensive system and there is a lot of freedom for the players (and thus reliance on the players understanding the offense, defense, and making the right decisions in real time) which could take some getting used to.

Advertisement
As you say, it’s really a perfect fit both ways for UM and Cleveland. Although our defensive metrics haven’t been great the last two years, we have been pretty elite at pressuring the ball, playing the passing lanes, and turning defense into offense. Perfect fit in that regard.

And of course I agree 1000% with your assessment of how L can help Cleveland develop in the half court. If/when that happens, watch out. I do expect Cleveland to have some struggles offensively in part because he’s not used to our offensive system and there is a lot of freedom for the players (and thus reliance on the players understanding the offense, defense, and making the right decisions in real time) which could take some getting used to.
Agree 100%.
I think Matt will look a little clunky in the offense the first half of the season and certainly some people on CIS will gripe that he isn’t a replacement for Miller.
Which you and I and a few others have said all along. Matt Cleveland is not a replacement for Jordan Miller, who was ideally suited for Coach L’s half court offense.
But by the time conference play rolls around he should be comfortable. He is a bright young man.
I really think next season is when we see Matt shine. Both because of his familiarity with the system and because we will lose 1-3 top scorers.

Similar to Cleveland in that he prefers to only dribble 2-3 times so he’s best attacking the rim from the wing. Matt is a superior athlete and jumps like Wooga. I won’t rehash my earlier comments about him but he attacks the rim well. What he does not have relative the Miller is the diverse offensive game with all kinds of mid-range shots and a willingness to shoot 3 pointers. But that is precisely why Matt came ot UM to develop into a player like Miller. So honestly, his upside is higher because of the superior athleticism, but it remains to be seen whether he will have the confidence and develop all the aspects of the game that made Miller invaluable in the 1/2 court.
Great insight! I wished Miller sometimes was even more aggressive with his three pointers. I think he was better than he ever really thought he was. He'd often defer to Wong and Pack, especially in big games. Wooga doesn't. A matter of confidence.

As to his overall development, that was a wonder to behold.

MIller was a gamer, rebounded very well for his size. I never thought he was the best one on one defender; you could drive by him.

Advertisement
Back