Mater Dei 4-star WR Dixon hoping to hear more from UM

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
On the west coast, Mater Dei (CA) is known for being a football powerhouse – the program finished just shy of another State and National title when they fell to St. John Bosco Prep (CA) in the state finals in 2019, but were respected enough to still be considered a top 5 team in the country at the end of the year by most publications.

Before the season, the rich got richer when the Monarchs added 2021 4-star WR Cristian Dixon in a transfer from Diamond Ranch (CA). Despite recording a quality line of 35 catches for 611 yards and 6 TD’s in his first year at Mater Dei as a junior, Dixon wasn’t satisfied; his numbers dropped from his sophomore year at Diamond Ranch, and he is still looking for more heading into his final season of high school ball.

“I didn’t feel like I performed to the best of my abilities, I feel like I did what I could control and played my role, me being the new guy in the offense at the number 1 program in the nation,” Dixon said. “I feel like I did more than others expected me to do. I feel like it was a learning experience, and I have somewhat of an idea on how to change my situation and better it, so I’m just working on that and building off of last season and ultimately preparing for the takeover this season.”

Even before his junior year, the 6-2 185 pound wideout had been a known name in recruiting circles, sporting offers from top programs all around the nation, including landing an offer from the Miami Hurricanes a few months back.

“My coach over at Mater Dei told me that the Miami staff wanted to talk to me,” Dixon said of UM. “I just called them and they extended an offer to me. It felt good knowing they don’t offer many West Coast kids. It most definitely felt good knowing that they believed in my ability.”

What has him interested in the Miami program?

“Just the swagger, that 305 swagger is different most definitely,” Dixon said. “It’s Miami, I know it’s a tradition-heavy program just like here at Mater Dei.”

Contact had been consistent between Dixon and former Canes WR coach Taylor Stubblefield, but as of right now, new UM receivers coach Rob Likens hasn’t been in contact with Dixon much lately. However, the Mater Dei star hopes that will change soon so he can visit Coral Gables.

“I haven’t really heard from them that much lately due to coach Stubblefield going to Penn State,” Dixon said of UM. “I’d love to hear more from them and take a visit, but due to the whole coronavirus thing, I’m not sure if that’s going to happen.”

Although he names schools such as LSU, Oregon, Cal, and Oregon State as those he hears from regularly, Dixon gives off the impression that his recruitment is wide open right for the taking right now.

“I don’t really have a top list. I’m not going to break it down, because I feel like every school has a pro, every school has a con. I’m not really into the whole top group clout chasing,” Dixon said. “I’m just taking my time with the whole recruiting process, going day-by-day. I could commit today, I could commit on Signing Day. Hopefully, I’ll pick the right school that’s going to develop me and set me up for life, but ultimately it’s in God’s hands.”

Even though Dixon isn’t close to narrowing things down, he does know what he’s looking for in a program, and says he recognizes the coaching shuffle that goes on frequently in today’s college football.

“I’m looking for a school that can develop me into the best receiver I can be in college football, and ultimately, the best I can be in the NFL,” Dixon said. “A school I can be at without the coaching staff in case they leave – I’m not looking for a school just because of coaches, I’m looking for a school that’s going to help me in life.”

A factor that doesn’t mean much to Dixon? Distance from home.

“I feel like if you can really play ball, then you can play anywhere in the country,” Dixon said. “I know it’s a big stereotype that California kids are soft, but I feel like we can play anywhere. I feel like if you use what God has given you, then things will work out.”

As for recent visits, Dixon was able to see LSU just before the coronavirus outbreak shut down programs across the country, and he says he is in frequent contact with head coach Ed Orgeron and WR coach Mickey Joseph.

“I just got back from LSU and I see there’s definitely good reasons why they’re a top 5 program,” Dixon said. “It’s all love over there. They tell me the 2021 class is going to be a big one for receivers due to JaMarr (Chase) leaving, Terrace (Marshall) leaving - a lot of NFL talent will be gone within the next year.”

At the Opening Los Angeles Regional in February of 2019, Dixon recorded a 4.63 40-yard dash, a 4.57 shuttle time, and a 32.30 inch vertical leap.

“I’m a well-rounded receiver - decent top-end speed, great hands, ability to separate,” Dixon said of his game. “I bring that X-Factor ability, the ability to show up when it really counts. I feel like I play better with big situations put on my shoulders, I feel like I have that clutch gene. I played my best game in the championship this year. I’m not even close to the peak of my game, so it’s just going to get better from here on out.”

What will Dixon be looking to improve on going into his senior year?

“My routes, the whole scheme of understanding the concepts and the game of football with coverages. Just being more of a team player and playing my role.”

Advertisement
Nice write up. Hope we get a chance to have Paradise camp this summer. Gotta bring guys like this in to see how they fit the culture and match up against local talent.

Mater Dei lost to Bosco in the Southern California Championship or State Semis.

Bosco beat De La Salle for the State Championship.

Advertisement
If nothing else, i like this kids mindset, even the Cali kids know football wise they are looked at as soft, lol, and he wants to prove that wrong. 2 words that if they disappeared today, i could careless "swagger" and "narrative". As long as we get back to playing confident at UM, we'll be straight, and that confidence will start showing if these coaches know WTF they are doing, cause you not gone find to many Miami guys who not confident. Under coach richt, he ushered back in the confidence, cause the guys knew he knew WTF he was doing, the young jits that came in didnt understand or work hard enuff to be successful.

Crybabies like jw15 and the likes self destructed the momentum, so coach richt took charge of the team even more, put his foot down, rosier, you the starter, jt4, you want to go, ok, bye bye, we wish you nothing but the best, and created an atmosphere where playing time had to be earned even moreso. Dealing with that, and than flake james coming to em with his nonsense, here you go manny, its your show, you think you can do better, ok let's see.

And as of right now, coach richt hired diaz who is a better d-co than blake baker, let's see if rhett is a better oc than coach richt. We do know that todd hartley was definitely a better tightends coach than fields, and coach dugans was a better wr coach than stubblefield, and coach stacy was better than barry. Going to be interesting if college football is even played this year at all!

He's a good prospect but he doesn't create much separation against man coverage. He plays to his testing numbers. He's at his best going over the middle making contested catches. I like the kid but there are too many SoFla kids on the radar that project greater upside.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back