Mark Walton National Rushing Rank

34th in the Nation at 371 (tops is 787 for a kid who has played 4 games) with an insane 13 yds per carry. Crazy thing is, he's only played in 2 games!

Guys like Chubb for example are only a few slots higher for comparisons sake. It's not out of the question for Walton to be Top 5, if not #1 , by the time all games are played, especially considering we don't play a single team ranked in the Top 20 in rush yds for the remainder of our schedule (GT, and Syracuse are Top 25).

Money year for him.

Advertisement
Yeah, I love the idea and give the guy credit, but it's real hard to maintain those numbers when you start playing better teams. Especially when those teams watch lots of film of our O leaning on Walton. At least for now, everybody's game plan against us will be to take away the run and make Roier beat them.

Let's play someone who fields a defense first.

That's the thing -- We really don't play anyone with a great rushing Defense the remainder of the seaso. Syracuse, GT, and V-Tech in that order are the only ones we face in the Top 50 of CFB.

I like our odds on the ground against all of them (except for maybe VT). I know stats aren't everything (I doubt he cracks 100 on FSU even tho their rush defense is mediocre this year), but they tell a whole lot.

That's the thing -- We really don't play anyone with a great rushing Defense the remainder of the seaso. Syracuse, GT, and V-Tech in that order are the only ones we face in the Top 50 of CFB.

I like our odds on the ground against all of them (except for maybe VT). I know stats aren't everything (I doubt he cracks 100 on FSU even tho their rush defense is mediocre this year), but they tell a whole lot.

You realize Duke has the 5th best run defense at the moment and is tied for 3rd at 2.3 yards/carry allowed?

Advertisement

You realize Duke has the 5th best run defense at the moment and is tied for 3rd at 2.3 yards/carry allowed?

It's actually 2nd(!), but they haven't played a single rushing team so far.

Last edited:
With the emergence of Travis Homer, the likes of AR / BB / CH IV, and the (hopeful) development of Harley and Thomas, I just don't see how Walton's numbers can stay anywhere near these levels. Still, I hope he puts up Madden numbers and gets paid $$$ in next year's draft.

It's actually 2nd(!), but they haven't played a single rushing team so far.

And we haven't played anyone who put a defense on the field yet.

Advertisement
Walton is #1 nationally in YPA.. He had off the charts numbers last year too against the scrubs, but then suffered against better competition... I am sure he knows he needs to step up in big games in order to rise up the draft charts... If he can do that, we are gonna be in business! GO CANES!!!

Yards Per Rush Attempt Leaders - Qualified
RK PLAYER TEAM ATT YDS YDS/A LONG TD
1 Mark Walton, RB MIAMI 27 352 13.0 82 3
2 Bryce Love, RB STAN 73 787 10.8 75 5
3 Abdul Adams, RB OKLA 32 330 10.3 99 1
4 Ty Johnson, RB MD 28 281 10.0 74 3
5 Darrell Henderson, RB MEM 38 345 9.1 80 3
6 Lexington Thomas, RB UNLV 50 425 8.5 62 7
7 Jonathan Taylor, RB WIS 53 438 8.3 64 5
8 Malik Williams, RB LOU 28 231 8.3 74 2
9 Jeffery Wilson, RB UNT 63 518 8.2 62 6
10 Chris Warren III, RB TEX 26 212 8.2 41 2

2017 FBS (I-A) College Football Individual Statistics Leaders for Rushing - ESPN

I think he will be the biggest beneficiary of Rosier's ability to run.

That's a great point. On Walton's first TD run, the DT having to respect Rozier's running ability opened up a huge cutback lane.

This new wrinkle we didn't have with Kaaya could lead to some big runs this year.

Walton vs. Toledo.jpg

Advertisement

That's a great point. On Walton's first TD run, the DT having to respect Rozier's running ability opened up a huge cutback lane.

This new wrinkle we didn't have with Kaaya could lead to some big runs this year.

View attachment 50526

I mentioned this play in the gameday thread. DE now has to respect the qb pulling it, unlike Bk

View attachment 50526

Walton's ability to change directions is so sick!! Reminds me of Clinton Portis! Even the cameraman gets fooled!

Advertisement
Back