Mark Richt "Hands On" w/Kaaya &PlayCallin. Meeting Blake

Prophessor

Band
Banned
Mark Richt expected to meet with his alma mater, Miami, about vacancy | NCAA Football | Sporting News

Richt said on his weekly call-in show Monday night he’d been contacted by “about five” schools regarding their head coaching vacancies. He didn’t say which schools, but it’s not hard to figure out.

At the moment, there are 14 head coach openings in the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS). Maryland was the one creating the most buzz about Richt Monday. There are reports claiming that Maryland officials plan to meet with Richt in Athens later this week. Those reports also cited Damon Evans as an inside connection for the Terrapins. Now associate AD at Maryland, Evans was UGA’s athletics director from 2004-2010.

Other openings Richt could consider include Miami (his alma mater), Virginia, Missouri and South Carolina.

“It’s kind of crazy,” Richt said of the sudden attention he’s receiving as a free agent. “But I’m not sure, again, what I’m going to do yet. But it’s nice to have opportunities and options.”

To accept one of those schools’ openings, Richt would be going against the advice he’s getting at home. The 55-year-old father of four has been encouraged by family members to take a year off to decompress and then reassess the coaching landscape next year.

Richt has been working for 33 years straight in coaching, the last 15 as Georgia’s head coach. There’s no rush, he’s being told. Relax and enjoy some down time.

Richt and his wife Katharyn are now empty-nesters and grandparents. Katharyn will graduate in May with a nursing degree. Richt is being encouraged to take a wait-and-see approach.

Richt is also owed $4.1 million from UGA as part of his separation agreement with UGA. That salary would be prorated depending on how much he might be earn elsewhere.

“We’ll probably get to do some things we just haven’t been able to do in the past,” Richt said of him and Katharyn. “I’ve been coaching for 33 years straight, and that’s a long grind. It can wear a man out a little bit, especially sitting in the head coach’s chair. We’re very excited about our future. It very well may be that we stay in Athens. We may stay in Athens for good. I don’t know what’ll happen yet.”

In the meantime, none of the current openings are ideal. Richt doesn’t like the idea of remaining in the SEC and certainly not the Eastern Division, those close to him say. And while some in Maryland are lauding the Evans connection, that’s not necessarily a beneficial one.

Evans and Richt weren’t always on the best of terms during their six-year coexistence. In fact, Richt was hit with a secondary rules violation because he paid money to some assistants and support personnel after Evans would not approve bonuses for them. Evans later was fired from Georgia in 2010 after his arrest for DUI while accompanied by a woman who was not his wife.

But chiefly, those close to Richt say he wants to be somewhere that he can compete for championships again. That’s a reach at most of the open the programs.

Virginia seems like the most comfortable fit, between its academic reputation and campus community. But the Cavaliers appear to be deep in negotiations with Mike Sanford, a 33-year-old offensive coordinator at Notre Dame. Insiders say Richt is not interested in returning to Miami. Richt as a head coaching candidate, it’s doubtful that Georgia’s recently-ousted leader will jump into one of the current openings or coach anywhere in the coming year.

Mark Richt said on his weekly call-in show Monday night he’d been contacted by “about five” schools regarding their head coaching vacancies. He didn’t say which schools, but it’s not hard to figure out.

At the moment, there are 14 head coach openings in the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS). Maryland was the one creating the most buzz about Richt Monday. There are reports claiming that Maryland officials plan to meet with Richt in Athens later this week. Those reports also cited Damon Evans as an inside connection for the Terrapins. Now associate AD at Maryland, Evans was UGA’s athletics director from 2004-2010.

Other openings Richt could consider include Miami (his alma mater), Virginia, Missouri and South Carolina.

“It’s kind of crazy,” Richt said of the sudden attention he’s receiving as a free agent. “But I’m not sure, again, what I’m going to do yet. But it’s nice to have opportunities and options.”

To accept one of those schools’ openings, Richt would be going against the advice he’s getting at home. The 55-year-old father of four has been encouraged by family members to take a year off to decompress and then reassess the coaching landscape next year.

Richt has been working for 33 years straight in coaching, the last 15 as Georgia’s head coach. There’s no rush, he’s being told. Relax and enjoy some down time.

Richt and his wife Katharyn are now empty-nesters and grandparents. Katharyn will graduate in May with a nursing degree. Richt is being encouraged to take a wait-and-see approach.

Richt is also owed $4.1 million from UGA as part of his separation agreement with UGA. That salary would be prorated depending on how much he might be earn elsewhere.

“We’ll probably get to do some things we just haven’t been able to do in the past,” Richt said of him and Katharyn. “I’ve been coaching for 33 years straight, and that’s a long grind. It can wear a man out a little bit, especially sitting in the head coach’s chair. We’re very excited about our future. It very well may be that we stay in Athens. We may stay in Athens for good. I don’t know what’ll happen yet.”

In the meantime, none of the current openings are ideal. Richt doesn’t like the idea of remaining in the SEC and certainly not the Eastern Division, those close to him say. And while some in Maryland are lauding the Evans connection, that’s not necessarily a beneficial one.

Evans and Richt weren’t always on the best of terms during their six-year coexistence. In fact, Richt was hit with a secondary rules violation because he paid money to some assistants and support personnel after Evans would not approve bonuses for them. Evans later was fired from Georgia in 2010 after his arrest for DUI while accompanied by a woman who was not his wife.

But chiefly, those close to Richt say he wants to be somewhere that he can compete for championships again. That’s a reach at most of the open the programs.

Virginia seems like the most comfortable fit, between its academic reputation and campus community. But the Cavaliers appear to be deep in negotiations with Mike Sanford, a 33-year-old offensive coordinator at Notre Dame. Insiders say Richt is not interested in returning to Miami.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I feel like I read once that Richt would prefer not to live in Miami. That's a legitimate consideration for some people, going from Athens, GA to Miami is a crazy move for a family.

HOME/SPORTS

Richt wants to be "hands on" coach next time

By Marc Weiszer Tue, Dec 1, 2015 @ 5:41 am | updated Tue, Dec 1, 2015 @ 6:54 am

Mark Richt, who turns 56 in February, isn’t making plans to go to the coaching retirement community just yet.
A day after being let go after 15 seasons as Georgia’s football coach, Richt says he will consider other coaching opportunities.

“Oh, yeah,” Richt said at a Monday morning news conference on campus. “No doubt. I’ll say this: If and when I do coach again, I’m looking forward to coaching again in terms of being more hands on. I miss coaching quarterbacks, I miss calling plays, I miss that part of it. Whether it’s in the role of head coach, coordinator, quarterbacks coach, whatever it is, if in fact I choose to do that, I’d be really excited about coaching QBs again and getting in the middle of the offensive strategy.”

There are head coaching openings now at Missouri, Virginia, South Carolina, Maryland, UCF and Miami, Richt’s alma mater.

Richt said on Monday night’s call-in radio show, he’s been contacted “by about five schools.”

Richt looked more at ease and even better rested Monday even though he just lost his job after weeks of speculation on if he would be let go.

“Over time it could wear you down a little bit,” Richt said. “The weight of a lot of responsibility that I’ve had a long time is gone. It’s not totally gone. I have a responsibility between now and the bowl, but there’s certain things I’m not responsible for.”

Recruiting in particular. His calendar was filled for 14 straight days of trying to land and secure prospects, but he won’t be on the road talking to prospects now. Now he’ll have time to think more to “decompress” and consider his next step.

“I’m going to listen to anybody that has interest in me coaching or not,” he said. “Really in any area or any arena that is a possibility.”

Athletic director Greg McGarity and Richt met on Sunday morning and some 24 hours later they were sitting at a table side by side. McGarity saw Georgia lose three of four in October, including lopsided defeats to Alabama and Florida but insisted he didn’t know it was time for a change until his drive back to Athens from Saturday’s win at Georgia Tech.

“It was a very quiet ride home for me to dig down deep and make sure that’s what my gut told me to do,” McGarity said.

He added: “I wanted to wait until the season was over. You always prepare. I think that’s the role of an athletic director whether it be football, basketball or another sport. You never know when the coach is going to come in and say they’re done.”

McGarity did not lay out at the press conference why Georgia decided to fire a coach that had won nearly 74 percent of games at the school, the highest winning percentage in program history.

“That remains to be between Mark and myself,” he said. “We had a good, mature adult conversation on Sunday morning for an hour or hour and a half or so. Those things will really remain between Mark and myself.”

Richt explained it this way: “I think 15 years is a long time. I think the expectations have been built to the point if you don’t win a championship, it’s kind of miserable around here. When we don’t make it to Atlanta, I’m miserable, too. …It got to the point where there wasn’t enough confidence that my leadership could get it done. That’s the prerogative of the people in charge and I understand them.”

Georgia went 145-51 under Richt, but had not played in the SEC championship game in Atlanta since 2012 and had not won it since 2005.

“You become a victim of your own success,” said former Georgia football coach and athletic director Vince Dooley. “The patience is thinner than ever. Of course, the pay is a lot greater than ever, too and that’s part of the stress and the expecations.”

Richt thanked Dooley and president Michael Adams, who hired him in December, 2000 and McGarity and president Jere Morehead “for letting me stick around a while.”

Dooley sat on a seat to the side during the 32-minute news conference. Richt’s agent, Mark Carmony, was also in attendance.

McGarity said he expected the backlash that has come by those who support Richt.

“Our fans are passionate,” he said. “Mark has tremendous support. Obviously with the way Mark connects with people, sure. I’ve been the recipient of emails on both sides. So it goes with the territory.”

Georgia had said that Richt could remain at the school in another role including for outreach programs for football lettermen, but Richt said he has not agreed to that.

“My plan right now is to get prepared for this bowl game,” he said. “I’m really looking forward to coaching these boys one more time. …I think there are going to be a lot of options to weigh. I’m just not ready to say what I want to do yet, but it’s very attractive to have the thought of being able to stay in Athens in some way, shape or form.”

Asked about how he wants to be remembered for his 15-year run.

“That he loved Georgia and he did it the right way,” Richt said. “He did it hopefully in a way that it was well-pleasing to the Lord.”

As for the portion of the fan base who is upset, Richt said:

“I guess you could tell everybody that I’m going to be fine. My wife and I will be fine.

We’re empty nesters. We’re still madly in love. We’ll probably get to do some things that we just haven’t been able to do in the past.

I’ve been coaching for 33 years straight and that’s a grind. It can wear a man out a little bit, especially sitting in the head coach’s chair.”

[]_[] swag;2398217 said:
I feel like I read once that Richt would prefer not to live in Miami. That's a legitimate consideration for some people, going from Athens, GA to Miami is a crazy move for a family.
Insiders say Richt is not interested in returning to Miami.

It’s finally happening. The Miami Hurricanes coaching search is absolutely heating up and FootballScoop has even reported that Miami hopes to have their new coach in place by Wednesday.

Whether that’s true or not, Miami seems to have narrowed their list to four or five candidates: Dan Mullen, Butch Davis, Mark Richt, Greg Schiano, and MAYBE Charlie Strong.

It’s not a bad list for the Hurricanes to have and one of these four guys seem to be on their way to becoming the new head coach, but you know how these things work — anything can change at any time.

Out of the candidates, however, Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald is reporting that former Georgia coach Mark Richt is the “man to beat” with an interview set up for Tuesday.

While this interview going well isn’t a sure thing, this is definitely good news for Miami.

Another thing that Richt has going for him right now: apparent support of current players.

I will love to see Mark Richt in a orange and green coaching Uniform in 2016 as a Hurricane 🙌🏾🙌🏾.

— Mark Deuce Walton Jr (@F5_DEUCE) December 1, 2015

There are many things worse than having the best running back on your roster endorse for you. This seems to be a common thought among some players on the team. Mark Walton knows Richt from his recruitment and was high on Georgia before choosing Miami.

Remember, take the coaching search lightly until something gets closer to official. But Richt being the “man to beat” sounds good to me.

Dave Hyde [MENTION=6894]Dave[/MENTION]hydesports
Miami interviewed Mullen, Butch and Schiano. Talking with Richt today, per source.

Seth Emerson: DawgNation.com 1:19 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 1, 2015 | Filed in: UGA
Miami, Missouri and Maryland among schools interest in Mark Richt

ATHENS — Mark Richt, now suddenly a free agent, is also a bit of a hot commodity.

Richt was contacted by “about five” schools on Monday, the soon-to-be-former Georgia football coach said on his radio show Monday night. He did not name any of them.

“Yeah, there’s about five today,” Richt said, chuckling. “It’s kinda crazy. But I’m not sure, again, what I’m gonna do yet. But it’s nice to have opportunities and options.”

There were multiple reports out of Maryland on Monday night that the Terrapins, who have an opening, had contacted Richt. One report went so far as to say he would be interviewing there. There is a connection between the Bulldogs and Terrapins. Damon Evans, who was Georgia's athletics director from 2004 to 2010, is now an associate athletics director at Maryland.

Miami, Richt's alma mater, also has an opening. Reports suggest Richt would interview for that opening as soon as Tuesday. Florida Sun-Sentinel's Dave Hyde also notes that Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen and former Hurricanes Butch Jones are in the running for the Miami vacancy.

Gabe DeArmond @GabeDeArmond
Have been told #Mizzou was one of five schools to reach out to Mark Richt today. Do not know if he was receptive.

Richt interviewed at Missouri 15 years ago before it hired Gary Pinkel. Richt eventually went to Georgia. Missouri is replacing Pinkel, who resigned to focus on his health after being diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

» Mark Richt waits for opportunities after Georgia

A source who spoke to him Monday cast doubt that he would actively interview anywhere over the next two weeks. But Richt made clear that he would at least now listen if somebody called.

“In the past 15 years if I’ve had a headhunter call me and say: ‘Are you interested in this job, are you interested in that job, or whatever job that may be, it’s always been a real simple answer for me, to say no, this is where I want to be. Now I’m losing the opportunity to be the coach at Georgia I think it’s at least respectful to listen to what they have to say, and just try to decide what’s in the best interest of my family, and not even so much that, but just try to be obedient into what God’s got in store for me. So that’s kind of where I’m at.”

Host Chuck Dowdle asked Richt if the fact he and his wife Katharyn are empty-nesters now – their children are spread about the country – would make it easier for them to leave Athens.

“It’s nice to have a home base in Athens, because my mom, my dad, my brother and two sisters all live in town. We enjoy family,” Richt said. “But if we were to make some kind of move, it certainly would not change how often we see our kids. It might put us closer to some of them. The bottom line is we want to carefully consider what to do and then do it.”

Did you read the article? There is no family dude...

[]_[] swag;2398217 said:

Advertisement
I love how insiders keep saying he has no interest in Miami, yet he's here interviewing. That seems to imply interest, no?

[]_[] swag;2398217 said:

To inner city Miami or south beach sure. But Coral Gables nah. He's also said they have an empty nest.

he might be listening but based on the first article he probably wont get right back into coaching. why not take a year off, relax, travel and generally not have to worry about a thing because you have a nice nest egg and large sums of money coming to you.

he might be listening but based on the first article he probably wont get right back into coaching. why not take a year off, relax, travel and generally not have to worry about a thing because you have a nice nest egg and large sums of money coming to you.

Disregard 1st article. They are UGA homers that love and respect Richt. They think that UGA and Athens were so wonderful to Mark that nothing else is better for him, and if he's not working in Athens, then he'd want to take time off for family. Also, it's about supporting the decision of UGA officials that perhaps Mark Richt is burned out.

Advertisement
Well, at least we know Cane2's new screen name. How long did you stay away after your tearful goodbye? 3 days?

The only thing that would make me excited about Mark is if he said he was taking the job because he is ****ed off and wants to kick the crap out of SEC in playoffs and that Miami is the place to do that. Butch would bring that edge; I don't see it in Mark.

Advertisement
Back