Manny Diaz Roller Coaster

Astcloud11

Senior
Premium
2019: First 5 games vs P5 Diaz goes 1-4
2019/2020: Next 13 games vs P5 record was 11-2, but Diaz Rollercoaster also lost to 2 G5 schools within this stretch.
2020/2021: Next 6 games vs P5 Diaz does the impossible and goes 0-6 despite being a favorite in every single one of those games minus Alabama (not sure about OKST).
2021/Current: Diaz wins back to back games against ranked teams.

History makes me believe that this is the start to another streak followed by an inexcusable let down (like FIU following a big Louisville win, or UNC following a big Duke shutout win). I'm expecting us to win the next 3 games (GT, FSU, and VT) followed by a lost to Duke and a bowl game loss.

Personally, the bottom line is this for me...

Scenario 1: We finish the season without losing another game (season, ACC championship if it applies, AND bowl game). Diaz gets another year but needs to have a new DC and ST coordinator. Patke needs to get demoted and someone else defensively would likely have to go as well (unless we promote TRob to DC).

Scenario 2: We finish the regular season without losing, win the ACC Champ, but lose the bowl game (it would be the Gator or Cheez-It bowl, assuming ND takes the NY6 spot). Debatable, likely still fire Diaz.

Scenario 3: Lose ANY regular season game (or bowl game without ACC champ win). Get Diaz tf outta here.

Advertisement
The difference is we're getting good/great QB play every week, and we haven't been able to rely on that in forever. Means we'll always have a chance.

Diaz has 0 margin for error though.

2019: First 5 games vs P5 Diaz goes 1-4
2019/2020: Next 13 games vs P5 record was 11-2, but Diaz Rollercoaster also lost to 2 G5 schools within this stretch.
2020/2021: Next 6 games vs P5 Diaz does the impossible and goes 0-6 despite being a favorite in every single one of those games minus Alabama (not sure about OKST).
2021/Current: Diaz wins back to back games against ranked teams.

History makes me believe that this is the start to another streak followed by an inexcusable let down (like FIU following a big Louisville win, or UNC following a big Duke shutout win). I'm expecting us to win the next 3 games (GT, FSU, and VT) followed by a lost to Duke and a bowl game loss.

Personally, the bottom line is this for me...

Scenario 1: We finish the season without losing another game (season, ACC championship if it applies, AND bowl game). Diaz gets another year but needs to have a new DC and ST coordinator. Patke needs to get demoted and someone else defensively would likely have to go as well (unless we promote TRob to DC).

Scenario 2: We finish the regular season without losing, win the ACC Champ, but lose the bowl game (it would be the Gator or Cheez-It bowl, assuming ND takes the NY6 spot). Debatable, likely still fire Diaz.

Scenario 3: Lose ANY regular season game (or bowl game without ACC champ win). Get Diaz tf outta here.
No way they fire Diaz if he only has one more regular season loss. It would have to be an especially embarrassing bowl loss for that to happen.

I know a portion of the fnbase wants him gone but the guy has way too much support from the team and they're going to be very vocal in lettung everyone know they want him to stay. Take it however you want but thats the truth

Advertisement
You can’t live on the edge every week losing and/or barely winning. Not one team has he beat convincingly except CCSU and that’s because this team is poorly coached. The same way luck went against him, then for him, it will swing back around. Luck will run out for him again and this time around his lease will be shorter if any

Manny excels in an interim HC-type existence where his lame motivational stunts work on a short term basis, but the bottom line is that Manny has yet to prove he can sustain this success for the duration of an entire season.

Also Manny has benefited these past few games from playing in an underdog role.

Let’s see what happens next week in a game Miami will be favored to win vs Georgia Tech in an empty Hard Rock Stadium at noon.

I agree but usc players loved the Helton hire too…they’ll get a say but they shouldn’t
Huge difference IMO. This team is not giving up and getting better. I truly believe if King would have moved on in his career we would right now have 1 loss to Alabama right now maybe 2 which would have been to Michigan State(maybe). If TVD had more experience N.C and Virginia get rolled and we're 6-2. This team ia coming to play every week because they want to win and they believe they will win each week. Manny is not getting fired and we will win out and the FSU game is going to be a straight up *** whoppin.

Advertisement
You can’t live on the edge every week losing and/or barely winning. Not one team has he beat convincingly except CCSU and that’s because this team is poorly coached. The same way luck went against him, then for him, it will swing back around. Luck will run out for him again and this time around his lease will be shorter if any
Keep in mind we are playing a red shirt freshman QB who is learning on the job. We will win out

Advertisement
Back